Gilmore to colts… Bills WERE interested

BillsMafi$

Baahhh! I wanted to see Gilmore return myself. Granted the price was pretty steep, but I envisioned what our team might look like after the draft with Gilmore and Tre back there… Draft a fast corner in the third to back them up another in the fourth maybe get Jackson back to third string… 

I guess we could still sign a corner but Gilmore was a sure starter who might of had a fantastic season. I guess we’re not printing our own money…. 
Look like we’re going to sign someone I just have a fear that we’re going to sign another joke corner, another retire at half time starter. I wanted a sure-fire starter…. I don’t want to miss out on this WR draft! Dammit.

48 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah and how many others just this year haven’t come, now look back at the history of FA signings we have missed out on or had to DRAMATICALLY overpay, so your one example gets blown up.

So you’d rather pay an unproven rookie 4x vet min, vs a top 10 corner at Vet Min, because you think an All-Pro couldn’t go to an easier system, but a rookie would have no problem.  That’s what one would call, insane.  

Zero... your theory is done, washed up.

8 hours ago, TheProcess said:

One thing that annoys me about media perception with Gilmore is that he was nothing until he went to NE. They developed him. Of course, we all know that’s crap, but I find it annoying. 

I was even more annoyed by the "Bills are the Patriots' farm team" narrative that emerged as time went on and they picked up more of our players.

I swear - the Patriots could lose every game from now until the sun burns out, and it wouldn't be enough for me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

It would have been great to sign Gilmore. What we can say for certain about him is that he gave it his all while in Buffalo and appreciated being a Buffalo Bill.

During his stay here, he did win us a ton of games. Drafting him was smart, and certainly NOT part of our "play not to lose" mentality.

I was SO happy when that pick was announced!!!

• Haha (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I get why people would've like him to come back but, I'll personally be glad to not have to root for him, or see his miserable face as part of our (first) Super Bowl team.

Eh, I would have liked to see him back but for 11.5M a year average with 14 guaranteed, Buffalo did the right thing.

Good for Gilmore, he gets to ride a retirement contract. I'm glad buffalo didn't give it to him. 

13 hours ago, TheProcess said:

One thing that annoys me about media perception with Gilmore is that he was nothing until he went to NE. They developed him. Of course, we all know that’s crap, but I find it annoying. 

Lol... it's not just the media..half this board thought he was terrible when he was here and wanted to get rid of him

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t know what to make of the Bills interest in Gilmore.

I'll bet Beane is equally puzzled by reports he had serious interest in paying starter money to a guy who, while talented, is not a great scheme or culture fit, and, now in his 30s, has recently battled injuries. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Makes me laugh!

First, I'm surprised Gilmore got that much.   I don't think Gilmore ever actually did become the best version of himself; he's dependable only so long as his team asks him to play exactly as he wants to play.  Excellent talent, but not a game changer. 

Second, if that's the market, then people should stop expecting to see the Bills sign a recognizable name.  I could be wrong, and I  often am, but I don't see the Bills spending anything like that for a guy to play #2 corner who's had success in the league.  If their philosophy is "we're going all in on 2022," maybe, but I don't think that's the philosophy, at least not to that extent.   

As I said a few days ago, I think McDermott is more comfortable with Johnson, Neal, Jackson than people realize.  I think he's telling Beane to find a couple of fundamentally solid football players, good athletes who are committed to competing and excelling, and he's good to go.  

I don’t know that the Bills are as desperate for a CB as some might believe. In the 8 games since Tre White was injured, the Bills went 5-3. One of the losses was the wind bowl against the Patriots where pass defense didn’t factor into it. The other 2 were OT losses against Brady and Mahomes- winners of previous 2 Super Bowls. 
If the Bills think Tre can return to full form sooner than later, and with an improved front 4 pressuring QBs, they might be more open to receiving threats or run defense support with first round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HOUSE said:

How could a team looking for a corner NOT be interested, when Gilmore asked for money that's when the  Bills probably dropped out

Gilmore was always asking for money. His price range was reportedly originally around 14 per. It's why he lasted so long. In the end, he settled for 11.5 per. The idea we were ever seriously a player is laughable. Beane probably made a phone call when he was around so late, found out where the other teams still involved were at, and that was the end of the conversation.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

So you’d rather pay an unproven rookie 4x vet min, vs a top 10 corner at Vet Min, because you think an All-Pro couldn’t go to an easier system, but a rookie would have no problem.  That’s what one would call, insane.  

Insane, but a moot point. Gilmore wasn't coming remotely close to vet minimum. Or anywhere remotely close to what we're looking to pay for someone who's role is to be, at most, a starter for a few games until Gilmore is ready alongside a 1st or 2nd Round Rookie, Dane Jackson, and Taron Johnson in the Nickel, and depth off the bench beyond that, for the duration of 1 year.

We're paying Tre White top Cornerback money. We aren't going to pay two Cornerbacks top CB money. The only way to get a long term solid 2nd Cornerback is to Draft one. It was obvious to me that was the plan before Free Agency and it's crystal clear now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

18 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Not even slightly surprised they kicked the tires. It's smart.

But in their salary cap position, he was never going to accept what we could give him. Von Miller was our big move this year, and it's a huge one.

Perhaps if they hadn't taken Miller they might well have gone hard after Gilmore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.