Gilmore to colts… Bills WERE interested

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ah, thought he was there for the first one, either way, he has his ring.  He doesn't need to take way less money to chase one, its his last significant contract, he was never coming here on the cheap.  

I certainly don’t know the guy, but he seems like the kind of guy who’s going to put the contract ahead of the chance for a ring unless it’s super close. I don’t even mean that in a critical way, just that different things drive different people. That’s OK, it just is what is is as long as you know what you’re dealing with. I’ll be curious to see how it goes for the Colts if he has to battle thru injuries the next couple seasons. That’s a LOT of guaranteed money. 

Edited by Augie

Honestly, would have liked to had him.  

I know I’m going to be flamed first it, but I do think the outdoor stadium in Buffalo plays a role in older players choosing to go elsewhere.  They will have to play/lose a game in Buffalo in Dec/Jan anyway if they want to go to the SB, so they might as well suck it up, but I get wanting to avoid it.

• Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I know I’m going to be flamed first it, but I do think the outdoor stadium in Buffalo plays a role in older players choosing to go elsewhere.  They will have to play/lose a game in Buffalo in Dec/Jan anyway if they want to go to the SB, so they might as well suck it up, but I get wanting to avoid it.

B.c one old CB didn't come to Buffalo? Yet an old DE came... your theory just got blown up.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

meh,  gl with him Colts.    havent missed Gilmore since he left.     didnt care that he played well for coupla seasons for the Pats.   didnt care that he did nothing with the Panthers.    there are times where the player just isnt worth the money. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t know what to make of the Bills interest in Gilmore.

Bills - “Hey Stephon.  Would you be will to play here on a legitimate Super Bowl favorite for a $5m one year prove it deal? No?  OK, see ya.”

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm sure the Bills "interest" was checking with his agent when he was still available this late in Free Agency to see if they could get a deal, being a Super Bowl favorite. When that wasn't a possibility, they said "okay, thanks for your time". If we had serious interest, we would have been one of his visits and/or we would have gotten it done early in FA. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. They’ll be a solid team… until January when Ryan’s gotta travel outdoors… Although he did put up a gritty performance against us with a lackluster Falcons roster last season.

Think that had more to do with Josh having the worst statistical passing game of his career. And that taunting penalty Ryan got on a TD that got called back didn’t help his case. I laughed so hard when that happened and it was 4th down and they didn’t convert.

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Haden, Dane & Lewis would do fine to solidify things till Tre returns. Plus I'm still convinced we're taking a CB in the 1st or 2nd. Not spending that kind of money on Gilmore. 

I'd add Xavier Rhodes to that list (the guy Gilmore replaced). He is 31, but Buffalo really just needs a 1 yr fill in to shore things up.

Has a connection with Frazier who was his HC his rookie season in Minnesota where he was 3rd CB/ Nickel.

Edited by RocCityRoller

6 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Lol. Beane is in on everyone.  I am sure he tries to get players like Gilmore with low ball offers, just in case someone decides to join us at a value price short term, so that can play on this team and build their value for the next season. (not to mention take a shot at a ring)

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Among several other reasons like attitude and cost, his biggest obstacle here was that he was a man coverage corner with next to no zone experience or skill. McD’s entire defensive scheme is based on a fluid zone/match concept with very little man coverage. Tre being the exception when facing a WR1 like Hopkins, et al. and when matchups dictate, but Gilmore was never going to be the corner he was looking for and for what he’d cost.

Why we dodged a bullet here now is along these same lines, but also that he’s now older and can’t cover the fastest WRs in the game. He had issues with this even while in NE. Whether he’d be an upgrade over our DB2 situation depends on the draft, but I’d much rather have a round 1/2 DB on a rookie deal than Gilmore at a vet min much less what he wanted.

Edited by ctk232

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

B.c one old CB didn't come to Buffalo? Yet an old DE came... your theory just got blown up.

Yeah and how many others just this year haven’t come, now look back at the history of FA signings we have missed out on or had to DRAMATICALLY overpay, so your one example gets blown up.

28 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Among several other reasons like attitude and cost, his biggest obstacle here was that he was a man coverage corner with next to no zone experience or skill. McD’s entire defensive scheme is based on a fluid zone/match concept with very little man coverage. Tre being the exception when facing a WR1 like Hopkins, et al. and when matchups dictate, but Gilmore was never going to be the corner he was looking for and for what he’d cost.

Why we dodged a bullet here now is along these same lines, but also that he’s now older and can’t cover the fastest WRs in the game. He had issues with this even while in NE. Whether he’d be an upgrade over our DB2 situation depends on the draft, but I’d much rather have a round 1/2 DB on a rookie deal than Gilmore at a vet min much less what he wanted.

So you’d rather pay an unproven rookie 4x vet min, vs a top 10 corner at Vet Min, because you think an All-Pro couldn’t go to an easier system, but a rookie would have no problem.  That’s what one would call, insane.  

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

So you’d rather pay an unproven rookie 4x vet min, vs a top 10 corner at Vet Min, because you think an All-Pro couldn’t go to an easier system, but a rookie would have no problem.  That’s what one would call, insane.  

Yep.

You assume he’d transition without issue and perform at an expected level that he might not even have anymore. And speaking of insane, on what basis would you call our defensive scheme “easier” than NE or CAR? He disappeared while on the latter team fwiw.

For the money spent a young talented DB would be the more prudent investment, especially when you consider this staff’s ability to scout DBs.

Insane’s a stretch my dude, but to each their own.

28 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah and how many others just this year haven’t come, now look back at the history of FA signings we have missed out on or had to DRAMATICALLY overpay, so your one example gets blown up.

You do realize that we already paying a cb number 1 money

this is why you draft I am not opposed to a vet this year for less but I he salary cap is in fact real

beane is good but not THAT good

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.