Gilmore to colts… Bills WERE interested

BillsMafi$

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Why would you doubt it?

Beane will have a conversation on pretty much any/every available player. He's everywhere. I expect him to be "interested" in every FA CB right now.

And why wouldnt we be interested in bringing Gilmore back as a stop-gap if he could be signed for cheap?

Yeah but he had to know he’s a $10 million CB at the least. That’s a significant addition. 

25 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Beane must have his eyes on someone else. If he wanted him, he would have gotten him. 

Beane said he inquired about people coming in cheaper to go after a ring.  Im sure he made a similar inquiry to Gilmroe.  But Gilmore does not need to chase a ring, hes already won multiple.  At this stage, money matters near the end of his career more.  So Gilmore was never going to come here on a cheap deal and we were never going to pay any where near what he got.  

Other CB's might be willing to forego more money elsewhere to come here to chase a ring though, Gilmore just didn't fit that description.  

Gilmore got man coverage money........because that's what he can do.........if you play man defense in the secondary you almost HAVE to build around the CB position to be a top defense.

Bills defense doesn't require or even give their CB's that much island time so Gilmore was an unlikely fit..........he can probably play fine in zone but you gotta' pay him like a man corner which doesn't make sense.

The CB situation in Buffalo is a lot like the RB situation...........a very vocal group of fans doesn't understand that you just need ordinary athletes at those spots who otherwise do a lot of other things well to succeed in the Bills O and D.    

Neither of those types are hard to find.

The Bills offense needs to revolve around the great QB and the Bills defense revolves around DL play and assignment sound back 7.

The area where they need to get better production is MLB..........an instinctive MLB should star in this defense.......it's impressive how well they've played defense despite having a guy who should be a 3-4 OLB or hand-in-dirt DE by now playing in the middle..........what's not impressive is that they expended 1st and 2nd round picks to get a pretty average MLB 4 years into his career.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Prefer Haden actually. Not saying Gilmore can’t play, I just think he’s cheaper and a better fit for our needs at this time. 

Haden, Dane & Lewis would do fine to solidify things till Tre returns. Plus I'm still convinced we're taking a CB in the 1st or 2nd. Not spending that kind of money on Gilmore. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Meh, whatever. I never thought he was coming back to Buffalo. I think there are other veteran corners available who are a better fit anyway.

I didn’t either, but we’re getting down to Haden, Rhodes, Fuller for vet CB’s. Anyone know much about Kevin King? He was once a high draft pick, is still young and had a really good year back in 2019.

58 minutes ago, nucci said:

why wouldn't I?  I don't think the Bills were interested at all knowing what it would cost to sign him

I agree.  I think when Beane heard that was the price, he said, "thanks for call," and moved on. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.