New Bills stadium deal is bad for taxpayers, according to Yahoo!

JPL7

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lambeau had a massive reno in 2003 that would cost at least 450 million today and then another 140 million put into it in 2014.  Arrowhead did the same for at least as much 10 years ago. You left out Soldier Field which was subtotally demolished and rebuilt.  

Erie/the Bills chose not to similarly remake  the the Ralph when it was feasible to do so...settling instead on some cosmetic work a few years ago (which will all be tossed out now).  

I the next 10 years you will hear calls for many of those stadiums to be replaced.  The RCA Dome made it to 23 years.  Silverdome made int to 26 years.  3 Rivers made it to 30.  Giants stadium 33.  Bills stadium is the only place hitting 50 without a major overhaul.   Other than the above, there is no stadium over 35 years old.

Yup, Lambeau was reno'd, as was Arrowhead.  As will be most of the stadiums I mentioned (that's why I left off Soldier, it's not all or nothing).  The new Bills stadium can be reno'd as well, as the Ralph was many times during it's 50-year run.  At some point it's time to get a new stadium and that's where we're at right now.  In 25 years...not so much.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you are of the mind that there simply is no better way to benefit more people with 850 million of public money, then you are going to say things like this.  We disagree.

Purely subjective talking point here.    You could ask 100 different people and get a 100 different answers as to where they think their tax dollars are best spent.  

Sure, a person who doesn't watch football or attend games is going to think 800M on a stadium is wasteful...but

A person who doesn't have children will think 800M on child health services is wasteful

Someone who doesn't drive could care less how much money the state spends on roads and bridges.

A person in the suburbs probably doesn't care much about public transportation.

I personally would rather see my tax dollars spent on a stadium than a whole laundry list of other items in the state budget.

You confuse me though.. You seem to be a Bills fan, no? But I've never seen anyone rail so hard against the team actually staying in NY and getting a new stadium.   

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Don’t care how much it cost. New York blows my tax dollars on things I care about far, far less than the Bills. They are welcome to take 100% of my income tax and apply it towards this funding. 

Okay, but then you don't get to (or shouldn't) gripe about roads or construction delays or education or healthcare. I am SUPER ambivalent about the deal overall. I love the team and want it to stay forever and be successful, but I also recognize that this deal favors billionaires to an unnecessary extent. The Pegulas could have ponied up considerably more money and still made out like bandits. And the Bills would STILL STAY IN BUFFALO, PLUS the county and state would have more money to blow on things you don't care about. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lambeau had a massive reno in 2003 that would cost at least 450 million today and then another 140 million put into it in 2014.  Arrowhead did the same for at least as much 10 years ago. You left out Soldier Field which was subtotally demolished and rebuilt.  

Erie/the Bills chose not to similarly remake  the the Ralph when it was feasible to do so...settling instead on some cosmetic work a few years ago (which will all be tossed out now).  

I the next 10 years you will hear calls for many of those stadiums to be replaced.  The RCA Dome made it to 23 years.  Silverdome made int to 26 years.  3 Rivers made it to 30.  Giants stadium 33.  Bills stadium is the only place hitting 50 without a major overhaul.   Other than the above, there is no stadium over 35 years old.

Hard Rock stadium is practically a brand new stadium. Miami doesn’t have to worry about their stadium for a long time. Jacksonville’s stadium is a dump though as is Chicago’s and Green Bay’s. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Hard Rock stadium is practically a brand new stadium. Miami doesn’t have to worry about their stadium for a long time. Jacksonville’s stadium is a dump though as is Chicago’s and Green Bay’s. 

HRS opened in 1987.  It's been reno'd, like many stadiums are (Green Bay) and will be, Jax's stadium probably included.  Chicago is getting a new stadium.  The point being, the new Bills stadium is unlikely to be torn down in 25 years.  That's just WEO hating on the Pegulas, as usual.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Lost said:

Purely subjective talking point here.    You could ask 100 different people and get a 100 different answers as to where they think their tax dollars are best spent.  

Sure, a person who doesn't watch football or attend games is going to think 800M on a stadium is wasteful...but

A person who doesn't have children will think 800M on child health services is wasteful

Someone who doesn't drive could care less how much money the state spends on roads and bridges.

A person in the suburbs probably doesn't care much about public transportation.

I personally would rather see my tax dollars spent on a stadium than a whole laundry list of other items in the state budget.

You confuse me though.. You seem to be a Bills fan, no? But I've never seen anyone rail so hard against the team actually staying in NY and getting a new stadium.   

Many people who watch football and attend games don't believe the public should fund stadiums (see SD and St Louis). 

I wouldn't know anyone who thinks the publicly funded care of children is "wasteful". 

I don't know anyone who doesn't travel in a vehicle that uses roads and bridges (or tracks or tunnels).

People who live in the suburbs of major cities often use public transportation daily (the entire Tri-State Area, for example).

You are confusing railing against bad deals for the public with "railing against the team actually staying" (whatever that is).  I've stated many times, it's my belief the state could have forced a better deal from PSE.  Why are you struggling with such a basic point?

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

lol Green Bay's stadium is a "dump"?  

hot take right there.

Edited by Mr. WEO

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Many people who watch football and attend games don't believe the public should fund stadiums (see SD and St Louis). 

I wouldn't know anyone who thinks the publicly funded care of children is "wasteful". 

I don't know anyone who doesn't travel in a vehicle that doesn't use roads and bridges (or tracks or tunnels).

People who live in the suburbs of major cities often use public transportation daily (the entire Tri-State Area, for example).

You are confusing railing against bad deals for the public with "railing against the team actually staying" (whatever that is).  I've stated many times, it's my belief the state could have forced a better deal from PSE.  Why are you struggling with such a basic point?

lol Green Bay's stadium is a "dump"?  

hot take right there.

Lambeau is on my bucket list of things to see.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Lambeau is like the old Yankee Stadium of football. Definitely want to there as well as Fenway and Wrigley. 

By all accounts (except that one poster upstream),  Lambeau after the renovation is a great stadium.

16 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

And the Bills would STILL STAY IN BUFFALO, PLUS the county and state would have more money to blow on things you don't care about. 

We don’t know that for sure and there’s no point in risking it over griping about less than .5% of the NYS budget.

• Like (+1) 2

Juvenal had no idea his writing in the late 1st century/early 2nd would also apply to another great nation 1900 years later...people really love their panem et circenses. At what cost...only time will tell.  

Edited by BillsVet

Love the comment to the article that points out that Holy Cross..where the author is a prof…ain’t worth $72,000 a year in tuition. 

I would bet that almost no NFL stadium can saw off its costs with jobs created locally…simply not possible. I would also say that the reason the public keeps paying is because IT IS worth it. Not in jobs but in fun, regional pride and identity and qualitative value. The author is wrong to leave this out of his analysis.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

The Coliseum in Rome is 1952 years old. I'd like to see Lambeau in that many years. 🙂

Not many people know this but the Coliseum was built because the Rome Raiders threaten the City with relocating to Alexandria, Egypt if they did not get a new stadium. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Not many people know this but the Coliseum was built because the Rome Raiders threaten the City with relocating to Alexandria, Egypt if they did not get a new stadium. 

Actually I believe this is erroneous. I was told that the Raiders were more interested in pursuing a move to Constantinople.

This is what my dad told me, anyway. He was alive back then...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.