Butch Byrd needs the WOF now!!

Helpmenow

On 4/15/2022 at 10:54 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Not for this one, Whippersnapper.

5 minutes ago, ManCrushPassRush said:

The WOF has way too many members. Kind of makes it not as important. 

Shut up and go away.🤬

Edited by Chandler#81

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not for this one, Whippersnapper.

Shut up and go away.🤬

The Bills should call our wall, the wall of medium fame - it's over saturated. Let's save some spots for when we win a super bowl eh?

Buffalo: 31 members

Atlanta: 11 members

Arizona: 18 members

Cincinnati: 4 members 

Cleveland: 19 members

Dallas: 22 members

Denver: 34 members

Indianapolis: 17 members

Minnesota: 25 members

New England: 31 members

New Orleans: 7 members

Giants: 45 members

Jets: 18 members

Rams: 8 members

Seattle: 14 members

Tennessee: 18 members

Washington: 49 members 

PS: Let's remove Robert James and Jim Ritcher. Not very WOF worthy. 

PSS: oh and I cringe every time I see “12th Man.” Remove that too.

Edited by ManCrushPassRush

1 hour ago, ManCrushPassRush said:

The Bills should call our wall, the wall of medium fame - it's over saturated. Let's save some spots for when we win a super bowl eh?

Buffalo: 31 members

Atlanta: 11 members

Arizona: 18 members

Cincinnati: 4 members 

Cleveland: 19 members

Dallas: 22 members

Denver: 34 members

Indianapolis: 17 members

Minnesota: 25 members

New England: 31 members

New Orleans: 7 members

Giants: 45 members

Jets: 18 members

Rams: 8 members

Seattle: 14 members

Tennessee: 18 members

Washington: 49 members 

PS: Let's remove Robert James and Jim Ritcher. Not very WOF worthy. 

PSS: oh and I cringe every time I see “12th Man.” Remove that too.

Robert James was a great lockdown man to man corner!!!

I hate-this message board when the  thread get highjacked. It’s about number #42

Edited by Helpmenow

On 4/15/2022 at 7:07 AM, Gugny said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/erik-brady-effort-underway-to-get-butch-byrd-on-bills-wall-of-fame/article_aa237dfa-bc28-11ec-9aad-0f975cbaff58.html

Jackie Robinson broke baseball’s big-league color barrier 75 years ago today. Major League Baseball retired his No. 42 on the 50th anniversary. Since then, no one on any ballclub wears it – except for today, on Robinson Day, when everyone does.

The time has come for the Buffalo Bills to honor their 42, too. Butch Byrd, who wore that number in the 1960s, still holds the franchise record for career interceptions, with 40. And he returned a punt 74 yards for a touchdown in the 1965 American Football League title game, which remains the last time the Bills won a league championship.

Byrd’s name and number belong on the Bills Wall of Fame. Of course they do. That they aren’t there already is hard to believe.

No Byrd? Absurd.

“I hope it will come someday,” he says. “I don’t want to sound conceited, but I think I had a pretty good career.”

Byrd pauses. “I’d like not to have to make it posthumously.”

Traditionally, Wall of Fame honorees have been chosen by a panel of team personnel and select media members. The committee has not met since Cookie Gilchrist was chosen as the 31st member in 2017, and there are no meetings scheduled. The future of the Wall of Fame is unknown as the Bills begin their transition to a new stadium.

Byrd played in Buffalo for seven seasons, 1964 through 1970. His franchise record for interceptions stands the test of time. He returned five of those 40 for touchdowns and made the AFL All-Star team five times. Then there is that game-breaking punt return against the San Diego Chargers in 1965. Byrd remembers every step of it.

“Oh yeah, absolutely. John Hadl punted. I was back with Ed Rutkowski. I caught it and took two steps to my left. Ed put a block on the gunner, and I reversed field to the right. I had the sideline, and then Paul Maguire knocked down the last two guys and I was in. That’s how it happened. It was over in a flash.”

Way over due.  Yes, yes, definitely YES!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.