First round “no”s

OldTimer1960

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m not against any positions; especially trench players. An all pro or multiple probowl trench Player on either side of the ball is 100% worth the 25th pick in the draft. Particularly when they’ll be locked into a low cost 5-year contract.

LBer can be considered cost control on a necessary position. As much as Edmunds is solid, his lack of splash plays and intuition means that a player coating $3MM a year may be much better value than Edmunds at $10MM+ a year. 

So are you saying Edmunds is replaceable at a much cheaper price? If so, I agree 100%.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

So are you saying Edmunds is replaceable at a much cheaper price? If so, I agree 100%.

Yeah but unless you’re moving him before this season, it makes no sense to use a first round pick on a guy who would not likely see the field much. Gotta use that pick on someone who will make a difference this season.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting topic.... so obviously I don't want anyone in the first who is not a 1st round talent. But luckily John Schneider is the GM in Seattle not Buffalo. 

Agree with the OP:

1. No to any of the interior OL guys

2. No to any of the running backs

3. No to any tight end

Of the guys we have been linked with at the premium spots...... my "No" in round 1 guys are:

1. Trent McDuffie. The arm length is a thing but also I just think he is low ceiling. Love his firey competitiveness. Just think as an outside corner against the top receivers ultimately his limitations will be shown up.

2. Jahan Dotson. On the rare occasions in college that he faced press coverage at the line he struggled. If he can't get off press in the NFL that makes him a slot only. That isn't worth first round investment. Again, low ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

For me, a 1st round no is RB.

There is no one dynamic enough to take in the first round that truly stands out from the pack in college football. 

I think the RB depth is there.

Someone may like Hall or Walker enough to take near the bottom of round 1 and that's okay, but it's just not for me in this year's draft.

There are other guys we could get a bit later like:

- Allgeier

- Cook

- Spiller

- Robinson

- Ford

- White

12 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Who are the players that you DON’T want the Bills to take in round 1?

For me:

Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green, Tyler Linderbaum: Good interior OL and that is a need, BUT not super special and IOL is not a premium position.  Of the 3, could maybe see Green because he could fill in at T in a pinch.

Jordon Davis: I’m not a full believer, but mainly the Bills have DT covered for this season.

Breece Hall or Kenneth Walker: they are good, not great prospects.  Without better OL play, no RB will really be much better than Singletary.

Any of the LBs - Unless they are moving on from Edmunds, no room this year.

For me, only positions for consideration (except for extreme value at another spot) are: CB or S that can play CB, OT or OT that can move to OG, WR (outside, or reluctantly a slot WR like Dotson)

I was in on interior line, but i sort of agree.  I just don't want to wait too long either.

I like the idea of a davis, but its just... so far down the list of things.  How does that help us beat a KC, or Chargers?  I think it helps against a patriots or colts but... the entire defensive line has changed

Hate backs in the first - Hall has a lot of production which is fine... I just don't love it.  

LB is a sneaky need - but even with edmunds missing some time a year ago Klein only played 25% of snaps.  

I think we can be confident that Beane does due diligence +++++ on every relevant talent in the draft.  This is not restricted to positions of need.  

Most on here would say a giant “no” is QB and I think that is 100% correct if you’re only considering someone who would start this year.  With that said what if:

1. Beane saw no one at 25 he envisioned as a day 1 starter, who he couldn’t get 10 picks later or who he thought would earn a 5th year extension for certain…..that is possible in this year’s draft IMO….and/.or

2. He sees three+ relatively equal players he likes still on the board and likely to be available for 10ish picks and

3. As rumored QBs are all slipping.  Personally I don’t think this happens but let’s say it does and/or

4. He truly sees one of the QBs as a real talent in the NFL with high confidence like he had in Allen

Trading down is a real possibility here and I think the targets would be the Lions who have 32/34, the Falcons who have 43, Houston at 37, the Giants at 36, Seattle at 40/41 and a very slim chance of Tampa at 27.  GB, the Steelers, Arz, could all pre-empt this move by doing the same but let’s say they don’t.  KC could also desire to do this but they are behind us.  Let’s say it gets to 25 intact

If Beane doesn’t get the trade down done but:

1. He truly loves a particular QB, let’s say Malik Willis

2. He knows Houston, Seattle and Detroit all want him and are either expecting him to last or expecting to pick up one of KC’s picks.

3. He tries to trade out but they all play chicken with him thinking he can’t draft Willis and their offer to KC will be best

Is there anyone on here that thinks Beane doesn’t have the guts to draft Willis and either:

1. Immediately double the demands he had been making for the trade down or

2. Draft him based on his evaluation knowing that this will pay off even bigger down the road?

Beane 10000000000000% has the guts to do that and will; especially bullet 1

That’s why saying “no” to QB at 25 is incorrect.  

I fully understand that the scenario above is pretty unlikely to play out.  For instance I don’t think Pitt passes on a QB at 20 or GB misses the same opportunity but unlikely is not the same as impossible.

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Yes. Most LBers are replaceable. I doubt they’ll find a guy with Edmunds physical abilities as the guy’s a freak. However, a more instinctive player could very well outperform him in several ways. 

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I think we can be confident that Beane does due diligence +++++ on every relevant talent in the draft.  This is not restricted to positions of need.  

Most on here would say a giant “no” is QB and I think that is 100% correct if you’re only considering someone who would start this year.  With that said what if:

1. Beane saw no one at 25 he envisioned as a day 1 starter, who he couldn’t get 10 picks later or who he thought would earn a 5th year extension for certain…..that is possible in this year’s draft IMO….and/.or

2. He sees three+ relatively equal players he likes still on the board and likely to be available for 10ish picks and

3. As rumored QBs are all slipping.  Personally I don’t think this happens but let’s say it does and/or

4. He truly sees one of the QBs as a real talent in the NFL with high confidence like he had in Allen

Trading down is a real possibility here and I think the targets would be the Lions who have 32/34, the Falcons who have 43, Houston at 37, the Giants at 36, Seattle at 40/41 and a very slim chance of Tampa at 27.  GB, the Steelers, Arz, could all pre-empt this move by doing the same but let’s say they don’t.  KC could also desire to do this but they are behind us.  Let’s say it gets to 25 intact

If Beane doesn’t get the trade down done but:

1. He truly loves a particular QB, let’s say Malik Willis

2. He knows Houston, Seattle and Detroit all want him and are either expecting him to last or expecting to pick up one of KC’s picks.

3. He tries to trade out but they all play chicken with him thinking he can’t draft Willis and their offer to KC will be best

Is there anyone on here that thinks Beane doesn’t have the guts to draft Willis and either:

1. Immediately double the demands he had been making for the trade down or

2. Draft him based on his evaluation knowing that this will pay off even bigger down the road?

Beane 10000000000000% has the guts to do that and will; especially bullet 1

That’s why saying “no” to QB at 25 is incorrect.  

I fully understand that the scenario above is pretty unlikely to play out.  For instance I don’t think Pitt passes on a QB at 20 or GB misses the same opportunity but unlikely is not the same as impossible.

I hear you, but that would take big ones for sure.  What if he gets stuck with a QB as his first round pick and can’t unload him for what he paid?  That is an unmitigated disaster scenario.  Different story at the end of the 2nd, but then nobody wants a QB who was unpicked in 2 full rounds.

13 hours ago, Rubes said:

Yeah but unless you’re moving him before this season, it makes no sense to use a first round pick on a guy who would not likely see the field much. Gotta use that pick on someone who will make a difference this season.

If they draft his replacement, he’s traded for anything they can get to salary dump.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.