Bills have almost $10 million in cap space available

Rubes

1 hour ago, eball said:

I’d be surprised (if not shocked) if the Bills sign any additional FA WRs.  I think they’ll draft at least one, maybe two.

Amid all of the chatter I still think they go WR in the 1st round unless a “can’t miss” CB falls to 25.  They won’t trade up in the 1st.  After that, in the 2nd I see them taking one of the two stud RBs (Hall or Walker) if available, and they might trade up to do it.

I am not worried about CB.  I trust the coaching staff and this is also a deep draft for corners (from what I’ve read; I don’t scout).  I believe a vet CB signing is on the horizon following the draft.

But if they don't get a WR early, I could see them waiting until next year to draft one.  They will still have Diggs + Davis locked up.

And if they don't draft one, I think they will get a low priced vet WR to fill the outside WR3 spot.  People were surprised by the praise Sanders put on Davis but it makes a lot of sense when you view it as Sanders is keeping the option open for Buffalo to bring him back.  It was a public display to show he could accept being WR3 and not be a disruption to team chemistry.

I hope you're right and the draft goes WR and then even RB.  Then they use the resources and buy a good CB.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sanders? Dudes done. No. 

Who do you want?  Here are some of the choices:

Julio Jones - love it, but tough to get because he's used to big money $22M

Landry - head case and probably wants too much and not a good fit

W Fuller - good fit but last salary $10M

TY Hilton - interesting, last salary $8M

D Jackson - cheaper last salary $2M but old and played, might as well get Sanders

OBJ - coming off injury

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Would love Jameson Williams if he falls…. Him or Olave if one of them are there at 25 is my preference. 

Sure - I like J Williams/T Burk/and even C Watson. 

But the question is if the FO goes a draft like Booth/Hall/T Anderson/IOL and doesn't get a WR.   Who do you want in FA?  

16 hours ago, Augie said:

As I’ve been saying, I fully expect a vet CB before the draft. Beane likes to go into he draft without any real holes in the roster. Nobody too expensive, but fairly serviceable. I don’t have any idea who that might be, but it’s how he goes into the draft. 

That will get you a beer in the new stadium.  :)

I think they wait until after the draft to sign a vet CB. Why not see how the draft falls? 

I also think they go the route of Mercedes Benz Stadium, cheap beer, cheep food, get people in the building. I know most will still tailgate, but even if you get some people in the building it’s better than nothing.

48 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But if they don't get a WR early, I could see them waiting until next year to draft one.  They will still have Diggs + Davis locked up.

And if they don't draft one, I think they will get a low priced vet WR to fill the outside WR3 spot.  People were surprised by the praise Sanders put on Davis but it makes a lot of sense when you view it as Sanders is keeping the option open for Buffalo to bring him back.  It was a public display to show he could accept being WR3 and not be a disruption to team chemistry.

I hope you're right and the draft goes WR and then even RB.  Then they use the resources and buy a good CB.

I'd take Sanders back on a 1yr deal. Add Joe Haden as well. While I'd prefer Gilmore he probably is too expensive 

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

Well, remember that the cap is only tied to the top 51 players. My guess is that only 2-3 draft picks would bump the lower-end guys on that top 51 list out of range. And then the added cap allocation would be the difference in 2022 salaries between those rookies and the guys who fell off the list. That is why the $2-3M estimate is probably closer to being correct.

This is correct. 

My vote goes to bringing back Jerry Hughes.... I know it's not flashy, but he's still playing at a high level IMO and it brings continuity to a DL that has undergone some change.

It also eliminates DE from our draft needs.

1 year rental (or even 2 year "final contract")

2 hours ago, Yantha said:

My vote goes to bringing back Jerry Hughes.... I know it's not flashy, but he's still playing at a high level IMO and it brings continuity to a DL that has undergone some change.

It also eliminates DE from our draft needs.

1 year rental (or even 2 year "final contract")

Is DE a draft need? With Von Miller, Boogie, Epenesa, Shaq Lawson and Rousseau I think the position is covered. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A lot more wins than trying to load up in defense…

Except against KC in the playoffs, which is what counts!  The Bills were "unstoppable" in that game.  Very exciting!!!

....and then the defense failed.

I'd say LINEBACKER was the biggest issue there.  They are slow, and can't cover Kelce if their life depended on it.  I just looked at PFF and they are the weakest...

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Is DE a draft need? With Von Miller, Boogie, Epenesa, Shaq Lawson and Rousseau I think the position is covered. 

Rosseau is excellent, but the rest you mentioned are average at best.  I think that Hughes is a big loss that would need to be filled.

Von Miller is a linebacker, not a DE.  I guess in a 3-4, he'd be an OLB but not a true DE.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They weren’t unstoppable in the game… they punted 4 times…and those last 13 seconds were all about coaching failures in every way.

True, but this also ignores the fact that the Bills gave up 35+ points.

Two straight years of giving up 35+ in the playoffs to the Chiefs. We’ve addressed one of the issues — the pass rush — but not the other: the cornerbacks.

I’m pro “load up the offense”, too, but we can’t just pretend that a better cornerback situation wouldn’t have given us a better chance at victory, 13 seconds be damned.

20 hours ago, Rubes said:

What would you do with it?

First leave enough aside to sign the rookies they draft then go forward from there . I for one would like to see them bring back Hughes because of what he has given to the team so he could be part of a Super Bowl if that happens .

I think he still has some in the tank & would contribute like he did when Super Mario was here .

Given that they now have Miller Jerry may be able to get to the QB more because the opposition will be concentrating on Miller more so which could work in Jerry's favor .

I know they have a lot of youth at DE but they could put one on the PS if they want to keep them & i think Jerry had more pressures than Epenesa did last year & it may motivate him to be put on the practice squad for a bit then given that he could learn from those 2 vets might be for the better .

If he would be willing to come back for a home town discount i would love to see him finish his career as a Bill & quite possibly with a Super bowl ring .

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, psuscott16 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/spots/projected-2022-nfl-draft-pools-1453/

This says Bills need 5.8 Mil for rookies but I get the 2 to 3 argument of the top 51. Who knows lol

That's wrong. Its $2M, max $2,5M. Rookies replace other guys already on the roster. Only top 2 picks make any relevant impact on cap space.

But we need additional almost $2M for 52nd and 53rd member of the roster. And PS players also count, which is I guess around $3M or so. 

That is $7M total. Add some $3M we need for inseason changes and we have no cap at all. We can obviously create more by restructuring.

Edited by No_Matter_What

6 hours ago, T master said:

First leave enough aside to sign the rookies they draft then go forward from there . I for one would like to see them bring back Hughes because of what he has given to the team so he could be part of a Super Bowl if that happens .

I think he still has some in the tank & would contribute like he did when Super Mario was here .

Given that they now have Miller Jerry may be able to get to the QB more because the opposition will be concentrating on Miller more so which could work in Jerry's favor .

I know they have a lot of youth at DE but they could put one on the PS if they want to keep them & i think Jerry had more pressures than Epenesa did last year & it may motivate him to be put on the practice squad for a bit then given that he could learn from those 2 vets might be for the better .

If he would be willing to come back for a home town discount i would love to see him finish his career as a Bill & quite possibly with a Super bowl ring .

Have to admit, this is what I’m hoping for, even if that gives us too many DEs.

• Like (+1) 2

Joe Haden!!!!  

8 hours ago, T master said:

Jerry & Joe.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.