Packers Signing Sammy Watkins To 1 Year Deal

H2o

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He is one of a thousand classic examples of why you do NOT trade up in a draft for any position other than a franchise QB.

These guys don't have the ability to evaluate talent sufficiently to justify the added cost of moving up.

Trade down; more picks always = better.

We burned a lot of capital to get Sammy at 4 overall.

Could have had Mike Evans at 7, Odell at 12, or Aaron Donald (for that matter) at 13! 

And we move way up to get Sammy.

Turns your stomach!

We couldn't have had Mike at 7 without also trading up. I wanted Mike Evans so bad though. If we had just picked him at #4 people would think very differently about the trade up. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He is one of a thousand classic examples of why you do NOT trade up in a draft for any position other than a franchise QB.

These guys don't have the ability to evaluate talent sufficiently to justify the added cost of moving up.

Could have had Mike Evans at 7, Odell at 12, or Aaron Donald (for that matter) at 13! 

Turns your stomach!

I agree with you except nothing is ever "always". For example, I think the Bills should likely be trading up this year. I'd rather have 4 players who likely can make the roster over 8 players where maybe 2 of are likely to do it..

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Turns your stomach!

What pick did we have that year?

I defended his talent all the way until his 2nd year with the Rams.  But at that point it became clear, the talent didn't match the drive.  Sammy Watkins is like having a Formula 1 race car with a Ford Mustang engine in it.  

He just never had the drive to be great or live up to his potential.  Especially since he kept getting paid top dollar for mediocre effort and production.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I defended his talent all the way until his 2nd year with the Rams.  But at that point it became clear, the talent didn't match the drive.  Sammy Watkins is like having a Formula 1 race car with a Ford Mustang engine in it.  

He just never had the drive to be great or live up to his potential.  Especially since he kept getting paid top dollar for mediocre effort and production.  

I'd posit that he's a F1 race car with an F1 engine and a blind squirrel behind the wheel, or as he would put it "a higher reptilian being." Guy is a basket case and I 100% put it on Whaley to not have discovered this before wasting draft picks trading up for him.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, clearwater cadet said:

What pick did we have that year?

I believe we had #9.  We traded up to get Watkins.  Evans went at 7 to the Bucs and I think that OBJ went at 12 to the Giants.  Aaron Donald went at 13 to the Rams.  If only....

image.thumb.png.53a9fd558efc0b4067455ff91dad8a43.png

Sorry about the small image size....

Edited by msw2112
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.