What is your favorite football related phrase?

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree complementary football doesn't even make any sense.  The offense doesn't try any harder or less hard to score if they get the ball after a turnover or after a punt, or after the half-time kick-off.  

@FrenchConnection

The NY Giant game plan and execution in Super Bowl XXV is text book complimentary football.

The plan was to play 'keep away' from the Bills offense and run clock. The Bills had scored 95 points in their two playoff games.

The Giants used a methodical short pass and run game to chew clock the entire game.

They let the play clock run between plays and snaps. They did not take big shots downfield. One drive was 14 minutes long.

They dared the Bills to let Thurman run, but stop the pass. This chewed more clock.

TOP Giants 41, Bills 19

Score Giants 20, Bills 19

• Vomit 1

21 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

@FrenchConnection

The NY Giant game plan and execution in Super Bowl XXV is text book complimentary football.

The plan was to play 'keep away' from the Bills offense and run clock. The Bills had scored 95 points in their two playoff games.

The Giants used a methodical short pass and run game to chew clock the entire game.

They let the play clock run between plays and snaps. They did not take big shots downfield. One drive was 14 minutes long.

They dared the Bills to let Thurman run, but stop the pass. This chewed more clock.

TOP Giants 41, Bills 19

Our unwillingness to just keep handing the ball to Thurman cost us that Super Bowl.  I’m not going to name names, but…..

We now have a good opportunity to correct that unfortunate outcome! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

@FrenchConnection

TOP Giants 41, Bills 19

So complimentary football means one team is outcoached by the other team.  Or does it mean one team makes tackles and the other misses them all game long?

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I found myself saying "Act like you have been there before" this morning.  Was not even in the context of football but it fit the situation. 

It's one of the better phrases I think.  I know it is associated with Barry Sanders just handing the ball to the ref after a TD.  Not sure if it predated him or not.  

What are some of your favorite phrases?  

PS Yes this is a thread to talk about anything but more mock drafts....  

That is one of my favorites, but my all time favorite is Marv's famous "where would you rather be than right here, right now?".  Classic. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

One of my lasting images of Thurman Thomas is him calmly and almost disinterestedly handing the football or tossing it to the official after a touchdown!  It was his trademark.

George Carlin did a great bit talking about the language of football as juxtaposed against the language of baseball.

Hilarious!

I saw this bit among others in college.  I can’t remember if Oswego or Syracuse, but he was hilarious. He was one of the most creative comedians of that era.

My high school football coach and eventually college line coach would say to the lineman 

“Alright boys dobber to dobber or you aren’t blocking”

and one that made no sense but we all knew exactly what he was getting at-

”We are gonna find out if the bear crap in the buckwheat”

Go Bills!

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing." - Peyton Manning

"You got one guy going boom, one guy going whack, and one guy not getting in the endzone." - John Madden

"If teams keep playing us this way, it's going to be like this." - Peyton Manning

"When it's too hard for them it's just right for us!" - Marv Levy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.