What is your favorite football related phrase?

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Any time I make a last-minute change of plans, it's "calling an audible." Even my wife, who's not much of a football fan, says it now.

That's a great one! 

4 minutes ago, sfbillsfan said:

Where else would you rather be than right here, right now

Here it is!

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I found myself saying "Act like you have been there before" this morning.  Was not even in the context of football but it fit the situation. 

It's one of the better phrases I think.  I know it is associated with Barry Sanders just handing the ball to the ref after a TD.  Not sure if it predated him or not.  

What are some of your favorite phrases?  

PS Yes this is a thread to talk about anything but more mock drafts....  

When I lived in Cincinnati I heard Bob Trumpy say that Bengals head coach Paul Brown said that to him after he "over celebrated" after scoring his first NFL touchdown. That would have been in 1968.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I found myself saying "Act like you have been there before" this morning.  Was not even in the context of football but it fit the situation. 

It's one of the better phrases I think.  I know it is associated with Barry Sanders just handing the ball to the ref after a TD.  Not sure if it predated him or not.  

What are some of your favorite phrases?  

PS Yes this is a thread to talk about anything but more mock drafts....  

It predates him a little. Thurman Thomas credits Marv Levy with saying that to him for the reason why he never spiked the ball after his first touchdown.

I don't really have favorite phrases, more just a list of least favorite cliches people tend to throw around in the offseason and draft time.  They're typically used as a vague lazy justification to "pound the table" for throwing money at their favorite mediocre free agent or to overdraft a player from their favorite school.

"They're a winner"- They want the mediocre system QB that was carried to a national championship or bowl game win by a power school loaded with All Americans at WR and OL.  Wins are a QB stat to them, and the only stat that matters.

"Home run hitter/threat"- 40 times are king for a WR/RB, and you'll never convince them otherwise.  Skills such as agility, field vision, or the ability to run anything other than a go route are worthy sacrifices for the 1 or 2 times a year they break a 50+ yard TD.  Reminders of their low yards per catch/rush will be met with claims that the player would be elite if only we ran 30 jet sweeps or pitches per game.  Fast DBs don't exist in their world.

"Playmaker"- Their cherry picked stat of choice is INTs.  They want to trade for Trevon Diggs, and it's not because he's Stefon's brother.  The DB/coverage LB could get torched for 100 yards per game, but it's OK cuz INTERCEPTIONS RULE.

"Breakout candidate"- They don't understand that breakout candidate means the player has actually demonstrated skills on the field and are ready for a larger role.  Never heard of the phrase "potential means you aint done crap yet".  Objectively failing at the task they were specifically drafted for is excusable because the coaches "showed great trust" in keeping them barely on the roster even though they got benched after coming back from IR.

I'm sure I will be reminded of others as the draft approaches.

If you have 2 Quarterbacks you actually have none.

____John Madden

“If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”

— Bill Parcells

Potential means you haven't done it.

___Darrell Royal

The best ability is availability.

____ Bill Parcells

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Booger McFarland is meme central for the dumbest sports quotes, though I remember laughing at this one. Then stealing a Popeyes biscuit from the Giants facility got him fired :lol:

image.png.ca31fb91e4c2b1c0aea802883c6edfd1.png

I actually thought that was a pretty funny one!

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It predates him a little. Thurman Thomas credits Marv Levy with saying that to him for the reason why he never spiked the ball after his first touchdown.

It's been attributed to a number of coaches, but nobody's sure who said it first.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/act-like-youve-been-there-before/

It's not easy to win in the NFL.

Lombardi had a good one as well. Someone said to him give the guy who gets knocked down and gets up. Gets knocked down again & gets back up, and again.

Lombardi said " Give me the guy who's knocking him down all the time" 😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.