Joe Marino: Would Bills Start Season with 2nd and 3rd round rookies starting at CB? McBeane Did It Before.

Thurman#1

38 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I think you are right, but there could be more to it. They may not like any of the vet corners available, or they think the price is too high. Time is on the Bills side, the longer these guys are on the market the more the price drops. I doubt they sign a CB before the draft. That first round pick is going to be interesting.

We’re going on 2 offseasons without adding anything significant at CB. They definitely think Dane Jackson can start. I think with White’s injury they will add a starting caliber CB. We’ll see. They also like Cam Lewis a lot.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will draft one and then sign a vet after the dust settles after the draft. Vets will be cut.

I agree. I think Beane (and most other GMs) are waiting to see what happens in the draft and who ends up falling to them. After that they'll have an idea just how much they want or need to pursue a vet CB as well. Big difference if a good CB falls to them at #25 vs. none seem to make sense until the third round.

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I agree with this. That’s another argument against a highly drafted corner. If they are indeed happy with Dane on one side of the field, then why burn a first rounder on a guy “just in case” Tre isn’t ready to start the season?  I mean, once he’s back then what?  We drafted a first round corner to hold it down until Tre is back?  Sorry…I just can’t behind that logic. 

That's the sticking point for me with regard to a CB at 25.  I'm sure they'd like to give Dane Jackson some decent competition, but I also think they like him and would be content with him as the #2 once White is healthy.  To me, its really just a question of Tre White's recovery.  If they expect him to make a full recovery,  then the question is,  do you burn a 1st to cover a temporary need that may only last a few weeks?  Keep in mind, also,  that a 1st may himself need half a season or more to adjust to the NFL.  By the time he's starting to play well,  Tre White should be back and all you've done (hopefully) is replace a competent #2 with a good one.  There's value in doing that,  but in a less aggressive coverage scheme that got good mileage out of Levi Wallace,  is that the best or most efficient use of resources?  I don't know and without knowing the status of Tre White in his recovery or how confident the front office is in his recovery,   it's a difficult question to answer. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

What would we do with two high picks at corner? We have Tre White and Taron Johnson. One of those two picks would just be a backup his whole Bills career? If this were a Wink Martindale defense I might listen to a case for over-stocking that way but it's poor allocation for a zone defense where guys like Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson are functional starters, let alone backups.

In our base defense we start 3 corners. Taron is the the nickel corner we still need two starters on the outside.  Is this really not common knowledge? 

Edit:  I apologize, read this too quickly, missed that you said draft "two" corners high.  Yes, that may be unnecessary, although you could always see who pans out better and trade the other. Plus, statically speaking it is far more likely that only one, rather than both, would turn out as a good pro so if you the highest player on the board is a CB at both in both 1st and 2nd round you still take them both.  Assuming we don't sign any vet FA, we absolutely must hit on a corner that can play right away early in this draft. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not a given that Taron is a Bill beyond 2022. 

Huh?? Taron just signed an extension last year through 2024 where he is getting avg of $8 mil per year. We could get out after 2022 but would cary a $5mil dead cap, which won't happen.  Bills coaches and FO have made it very clear they view him as a long term nickel starter, key piece of the defense etc..  We prioritized extending him, arguable over other key defensive pieces too.  Bills paid Levi Wallace less than $2mill last year but Taron got $8mil per, that should show you how highly they view him.  He isn't going anywhere. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11

11 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Huh?? Taron just signed an extension last year through 2024 where he is getting avg of $8 mil per year. We could get out after 2022 but would cary a $5mil dead cap, which won't happen.  Bills coaches and FO have made it very clear they view him as a long term nickel starter, key piece of the defense etc..  We prioritized extending him, arguable over other key defensive pieces too.  Bills paid Levi Wallace less than $2mill last year but Taron got $8mil per, that should show you how highly they view him.  He isn't going anywhere. 

They are not going to be able to pay 9 starters on defense next year. Somewhere a concession has to be made. When Josh is $40m and Stef is $20m you can't pay 9 defensive starters. At the moment Spotrac has us with $2m cap space next year and that is with Poyer and Edmunds walking as FAs on the defensive side and Knox as a FA on offense. Even letting all three of those guys walk we will need to make space. It doesn't have to be Taron. It might not be. But he is a possible cut IMO. There are other guys at risk too or they could kick the can on some more deals. But I suspect there will be an under contract defensive starter cut next spring. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They are not going to be able to pay 9 starters on defense next year. Somewhere a concession has to be made. When Josh is $40m and Stef is $20m you can't pay 9 defensive starters. At the moment Spotrac has us with $2m cap space next year and that is with Poyer and Edmunds walking as FAs on the defensive side and Knox as a FA on offense. Even letting all three of those guys walk we will need to make space. It doesn't have to be Taron. It might not be. But he is a possible cut IMO. There are other guys at risk too or they could kick the can on some more deals. But I suspect there will be an under contract defensive starter cut next spring. 

I understand where you are coming in that concessions will have to be made but $5mil dead cap is pretty prohibitive.  Taron would have to have a remarkable regression in ability for Beane to even consider that. Cutting others, in addition to restructures/extensions/covering salary to bonuses etc. can free up cap space, there are plenty of ways to maneuver as we saw this offseason.  Taron being cut won't be one of them.  Plus, who knows how much the cap will increase next year.

Edited by vtnatefootball11

Just now, vtnatefootball11 said:

I understand where you are coming in that concessions will have to be made but $5mil dead cap is pretty prohibitive.  Taron would have have a remarkable regression in ability for Beane to even consider that. Cutting others, in addition to restructures/extensions/covering salary to bonuses etc. can free up cap space, there are plenty of ways to maneuver as we saw this offseason.  Taron being cut won't be one of them.  

$5m is one of the cheapest outs the Bills have on next season's roster. It is less than they are paying paying Star to not play for them this coming year. Post 1 June it and it is $2.5m per year for 2 years. Easily manageable. There are other ways to skin the cat but I think Taron would be in play. Financially he is one of the ones that makes the most sense. And at $9.5m in cap hit for 2023 he'd be one of if not THE highest cap hit nickel corner in the league. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

$5m is one of the cheapest outs the Bills have on next season's roster. It is less than they are paying paying Star to not play for them this coming year. Post 1 June it and it is $2.5m per year for 2 years. Easily manageable. There are other ways to skin the cat but I think Taron would be in play. Financially he is one of the ones that makes the most sense. And at $9.5m in cap hit for 2023 he'd be one of if not THE highest cap hit nickel corner in the league. 

These are fair points and I think there is subjective room to argue just how highly the Bills FO values Taron and the nickel position generally in their system.  I don't see cutting Taron after this coming season as a serious consideration but I acknowledge it's a remote possibility as you laid out, particularly if he somehow regresses terribly or has career threatening injury or something like that in 2022.

I think the problem is where we're picking. I don't see the Bills being able to get Booth or McDuffie at 25. Likely, they'll need to go with guys who have potential and need to get coached up. Luckily for us, the Bills have an excellent coaching staff.

CB is our biggest need. But I'd be satisfied if we came away with any 2 of:

Alontae Taylor

Tariq Woolen

Coby Bryant

Josh Williams

All guys with crazy potential in my opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I agree with this. That’s another argument against a highly drafted corner. If they are indeed happy with Dane on one side of the field, then why burn a first rounder on a guy “just in case” Tre isn’t ready to start the season?  I mean, once he’s back then what?  We drafted a first round corner to hold it down until Tre is back?  Sorry…I just can’t behind that logic. 

Yep.  That's why Beane needs to sign a veteran cornerback with starting experience in the NFL.

He doesn't necessarily need to be Stephon Gilmore quality.  But at least someone who won't be a massive liability until White gets back.

It's a huge mistake to go into the draft absolutely needing any position... and then counting on that player to be ready to start Week 1.

Get one more decent CB, and we can do whatever we want in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Tampa - 2020 Super Bowl Champs Starting secondary 

Knowing teams wouldn't even try to run on them (*cough get Jordan Davis cough cough*) it allowed the D line to pin their ears back and tee off.

Probably helped the Secondary to.  

Screenshot_20220414-150736_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Tampa - 2020 Super Bowl Champs Starting secondary 

Knowing teams wouldn't even try to run on them (*cough get Jordan Davis cough cough*) it allowed the D line to pin their ears back and tee off.

Probably helped the Secondary to.  

Screenshot_20220414-150736_Chrome.jpg

I just have a hard time wanting Davis as he is still a 2 down player. And who knows how he will manage his weight in the NFL, sure he lost weight for the combine but once he gets drafted and to Buffalo I’m sure he will be hitting the wings pretty hard. Last thing I want to see is another Dareus situation, and Davis isn’t nearly as talented as Dareus was. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I think the problem is where we're picking. I don't see the Bills being able to get Booth or McDuffie at 25. Likely, they'll need to go with guys who have potential and need to get coached up. Luckily for us, the Bills have an excellent coaching staff.

CB is our biggest need. But I'd be satisfied if we came away with any 2 of:

Alontae Taylor

Tariq Woolen

Coby Bryant

Josh Williams

All guys with crazy potential in my opinion.

I'm still holding out that 3 qbs get drafted before 25, causing either McDuffie or Booth to fall.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Look at their pre-draft meetings. It's a lot of LBs and safeties.

A ton of WR, TE, and RB too. 

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm still holding out that 3 qbs get drafted before 25, causing either McDuffie or Booth to fall.

I feel the same way about WRs. The passing game is our identity. Keep stockpiling weapons for Allen. Dane and Tre can hold down the starting CB spots. Sign a vet until Tre is 100%. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.