Lance Zierlein "I have CB Andrew Booth slipping out of the 1st round"

intimidatortj

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

I find it interesting that Kyler Gordon will be at the draft but not Booth, I like to believe the guys in attendance are those that the league are high on. Even though Stingley isn’t there and Corral over Pickett is off too, so maybe it all means nothing..

I think you are nostalgic on old drafts where like 10 guys got invited and it was a story if you declined. 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:16 PM, intimidatortj said:

When Beane moved up to get Tremaine Edmunds, we moved from 22 to 16.   We had to give Baltimore our 65th pick.   

So if you want to move up from 25 to say around 12, it is going to cost you...a lot.   And no one wants our 6th and 7th round picks.  They are fairly worthless in first round trades.

Not impossible to move up that high, but normally it is reserved for a QB or a Julio Jones.

Beane moving up to get Edmunds sure looks like an error. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I find it interesting that Kyler Gordon will be at the draft but not Booth, I like to believe the guys in attendance are those that the league are high on. Even though Stingley isn’t there and Corral over Pickett is off too, so maybe it all means nothing..

A guy not being there doesn't mean anything. All sorts of reasons guys want to be at home. A guy being there DOES mean something though. It means the indications he is getting are that he will go day 1. 

6 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily any indicator. They have started being guys in that they think will go early day 2 the past couple of years. There are some guys in there that could go really late round 1 or early round 2 including Corral, Gordon, Dean, Karlaftis(who I think is severely overrated) 

Agree all those 4 are guys who could go late Day 1 or early day 2. I also agree Karlaftis is overrated. Reminds me a bit of Epenesa (as he was coming out pre the body transformation). 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

They can also decline going.  They aren’t required to go if invited 

18 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Beane moving up to get Edmunds sure looks like an error. 

I can not dispute your assessment.

That is the danger of moving up.  You give up multiple picks, and the guy you get may not pan you.

Another example is when the Bills moved up in the 2nd round, giving up two 4th round picks (plus the 2nd round pick) to take Reggie Ragland.   He blow out his knee in rookie camp and missed his rookie year. 

10 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

I can not dispute your assessment.

That is the danger of moving up.  You give up multiple picks, and the guy you get may not pan you.

Another example is when the Bills moved up in the 2nd round, giving up two 4th round picks (plus the 2nd round pick) to take Reggie Ragland.   He blow out his knee in rookie camp and missed his rookie year. 

Good one. I don't mind the strategy of moving up or back. Depends on the board and who is available. At least, Beane is willing to make moves. Obviously, its not an exact science and you can't hit a home run pn every draft pick. 

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

Dan Brugler (Athletic) has Booth slipping into round 2 as well. Burks to Bills at #25.

There must be something about his previous injuries that are turning off SOME teams.  Primarily those teams drafting 20-32.

PS I still like Dax Hill at 25, as well as Zion Johnson, maybe Kyler Gordon.  Not as sexy as a Wide Receiver, I know. 

38 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

There must be something about his previous injuries that are turning off SOME teams.  Primarily those teams drafting 20-32.

PS I still like Dax Hill at 25, as well as Zion Johnson, maybe Kyler Gordon.  Not as sexy as a Wide Receiver, I know. 

I don't know much about Hill. Feel like elaborating on why you like him?

I've seen and heard many outlets listing him generally as a DB, rather than strictly a S. That usually suggests the player can come down and fill a kind of "big nickel" role. I don't think the Bills have much need there in the foreseeable future, with Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, and Matt Milano all signed up. So do you value him primarily as an actual safety/potential Poyer replacement? Hill doesn't project to have boundary flex, does he?

For what it's worth, I think Booth would be an absolute home run at 25. Great scheme and need fit. 

Edited by Richard Noggin

19 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I've seen and heard many outlets listing him generally as a DB, rather than strictly a S. That usually suggests the player can come down and fill a kind of "big nickel" role. I don't think the Bills have much need there in the foreseeable future, with Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, and Matt Milano all signed up. So do you value him primarily as an actual safety/potential Poyer replacement? Hill doesn't project to have boundary flex, does he?

For what it's worth, I think Booth would be an absolute home run at 25. Great scheme and need fit. 

I like Dax Hill.  I like his 4.38 forty.  We don't have that.   And yes he can play some corner. Some nickel.  Some slot. 

But I like some other players better, but if they are gone I don't see Beane trading down so Dax Hill might be BPA.  And I don't care what position he plays in 2022.  Over the next 5 years he should be a nice piece to have in the secondary.

I would be cool if the Bills draft OL Trevor Penning at 25, if he is BPA, even though we don't need an OT.

I think I like Booth, but I keep hearing internet rumors that injuries are a concern going back to his 2019 and 2020 seasons.   I need more details...which we don't get access it. 

BPA at any position at 25.  Except QB.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Says who? 

"He's so fast and so athletic that it wouldn't surprise me if a team tried to make him a full-time cornerback. I think he has that kind of potential." -- Area scout for NFC team

Hill's best trait for the next level is his ability to line up and cover slot receivers. His quickness, flexibility and fluid athleticism allow him to line up at the line of scrimmage or pick up receivers in off-man coverage. Hill will be a real asset to his defense when going against dangerous slot receivers. For nickel, he is a phenomenal cover corner to run the route and prevent separation. - WalterFootball

I know many people have him ranked as a safety but I truly feel he is a versatile defensive back and shouldn’t be given a safety designation.  He has played slot corner, outside corner and nickel and the STAR position. - Draft Dive

In terms of defensive backs overall, Mel Kiper ranks Cincinnati’s Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner No. 1, either LSU's Derek Stingley Jr. or Notre Dame's Kyle Hamilton at No. 2 and Dax Hill, he said, would be next on that list.   “He’s one of the best overall defensive backs in this draft,” Kiper said.

Overall, Daxton Hill is a versatile defender who can be exceptional in the slot, align in centerfield, play the deep half, and he’s good enough to play in the box.   SI.com

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Says who? 

1 hour ago, intimidatortj said:

"He's so fast and so athletic that it wouldn't surprise me if a team tried to make him a full-time cornerback. I think he has that kind of potential." -- Area scout for NFC team

Hill's best trait for the next level is his ability to line up and cover slot receivers. His quickness, flexibility and fluid athleticism allow him to line up at the line of scrimmage or pick up receivers in off-man coverage. Hill will be a real asset to his defense when going against dangerous slot receivers. For nickel, he is a phenomenal cover corner to run the route and prevent separation. - WalterFootball

I know many people have him ranked as a safety but I truly feel he is a versatile defensive back and shouldn’t be given a safety designation.  He has played slot corner, outside corner and nickel and the STAR position. - Draft Dive

In terms of defensive backs overall, Mel Kiper ranks Cincinnati’s Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner No. 1, either LSU's Derek Stingley Jr. or Notre Dame's Kyle Hamilton at No. 2 and Dax Hill, he said, would be next on that list.   “He’s one of the best overall defensive backs in this draft,” Kiper said.

Overall, Daxton Hill is a versatile defender who can be exceptional in the slot, align in centerfield, play the deep half, and he’s good enough to play in the box.   SI.com

Pretty sure Scott was reacting to the bolded nugget about OT not being a need. He, as you may be aware, is not sold on Spencer Brown. I think his skepticism is reasonably warranted, while his insistence on reiterating that skepticism is...less so. Such is the fate of a selective contrarian.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Pretty sure Scott was reacting to the bolded nugget about OT not being a need. He, as you may be aware, is not sold on Spencer Brown. I think his skepticism is reasonably warranted, while his insistence on reiterating that skepticism is...less so. Such is the fate of a selective contrarian.

Ahh...not sold on Spencer Brown. Gotcha.    I am hopeful with one year under his belt, and coaching from our new OLine coach, Spencer Brown can hone his game this year.  He did show flashes during his rookie year of his upside, especially when run blocking in space. 

A lot may depend on who is playing RG.  Right now it looks like it will be Ryan Bates. 

8 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

Ahh...not sold on Spencer Brown. Gotcha.    I am hopeful with one year under his belt, and coaching from our new OLine coach, Spencer Brown can hone his game this year.  He did show flashes during his rookie year of his upside, especially when run blocking in space. 

A lot may depend on who is playing RG.  Right now it looks like it will be Ryan Bates. 

Brown strikes me as a guy who knows he can be absolutely ELITE if he puts in the work (and stays healthy). He lives with (I think?) and trains with Joe Staley in the offseason (pretty sure he's repeating his program from last year; I'm not much for quick google searches but I do have a decent memory). Feels like a player who is going to maximize his talents. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/15/2022 at 4:16 PM, Airseven said:

Dan Brugler (Athletic) has Booth slipping into round 2 as well. Burks to Bills at #25.

I don't believe he will slip to the 2nd round. I call BS on this report. 

23 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree on Booth. He is the guy I want hands down at 25. 

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I just find it amusing people are sold on Spencer Brown, who was atrocious in pass blocking at times last season, but aren’t sold on Dane Jackson starting opposite White who played great as his replacement last season and much better at CB compared to Brown at Tackle …..but Josh can always bail out the offensive line if it struggles next year when they need him to be Superman again. 

I totally agree with you on Dane Jackson. He was SOLID last season, all things considered.

And I agree that Allen has repeatedly covered up for OL (and probably other) deficiencies. He's a cheat code. Especially if just one guy whiffs on a given play (like Cody Ford on almost every single snap against WFT last season, or, as you MIGHT have noticed, Spencer Brown in several games, most notably to my in-stadium memory, against the Panthers). So Bills fans are probably caught up in the traits and on-field flashes, as well as the demeanor and determination that we feed off. Thus, they're happy to ignore the bad reps. Maybe because Allen has shown us that raw potential can be realized.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.