Derek Carr Contract

aristocrat

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But it isn't really that. It is 3 years / $122m added on to one remaining year of $19.5m. They will have paid him the signing bonus (details tbc) now so they have almost certainly increased his hit in 2022 but spread the impact of that $122m over 4 years. So what they really have now is Derek Carr under contract for 4 years, $141m / $35.2m AAV. Which puts Carr 7th. The only vet guys (ie. non rookie deals) who are better than him and paid less are Brady (who we know keeps his hits low and pushes dead money onto the cap after he has gone as he did with NE and would have done this year for TB had he not returned) and Wilson who is a hair below at $35m AAV and due a new deal soon. That isn't "top" money. In fact I think this is a good contract for the Raiders, a good contract for Carr, and possibly a good contract for the league because it suggests to some extent a market correction. 

EDIT: The way Spotrac are showing it now they have only paid him a small signing bonus actually so his 2022 hit is basically unchanged. They have reduced, but guaranteed his base salary, and then made up the difference with $1.8m amortised signing bonus. The advantage to doing that for the Raiders is let's say they do struggle in a very tough division and finish 4th at 5 or 6 wins..... they can get out of Carr's deal for $5.5m in dead money. It would cost them about $10m to get out after 2023 (because some of the 2024 money guarantees if he stays on the roster in 2023) and then $1.8m to get out after 2024. It is a really clever contract. Because it doesn't tie them to Carr AT ALL if the chance to upgrade arises either through the draft or FA. But equally it recognises that having Carr is better than not having a Quarterback. It is basically a year to year deal from this point.

it is what it is. 
Everything is a numbers game. 

Smoke and mirrors   

The thing being spoken to is the $40.5

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yo dawg. Your bank is loud but 
$122 / 3 

Average Salary = $40,500,000

That is 5th in QB salary. TOP $ my friend 

Being 3 years makes it reasonable because there isn’t a better option. 

Did you assume I was saying Carr was no good?

All I’m saying is that was top money 2 years ago.  That won’t be top money these next three years with the rising cap where well over 40 will be the norm for even lesser QBs.

And he is there 4 years with this year and it averages out to about $35m per year over those 4 years.  

He is 13th best QB by my ranking and within a year or two his $40m salary will be in about that range compared to the rest of the NFL as other QBs get paid.

So it’s not “top money” is all I’m saying as he’s gonna drop to around 10th highest paid pretty quickly as guys like Lamar, Murray, Hebert, etc start getting paid.  

All QBs are usually paid above their worth when they initially sign their deal.  I don’t find his to be egregious based on where QB salaries are headed next two seasons.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All I’m saying is that was top money 2 years ago.  That won’t be top money these next three years with the rising cap where well over 40 will be the norm for even lesser QBs.

And he is there 4 years with this year and it averages out to about $35m per year over those 4 years.  

He is 13th best QB by my ranking and within a year or two his $40m salary will be in about that range compared to the rest of the NFL as other QBs get paid.

So it’s not “top money” is all I’m saying as he’s gonna drop to around 10th highest paid pretty quickly as guys like Lamar, Murray, Hebert, etc start getting paid.  

All QBs are usually paid above there worth when they initially sign their deal.  I don’t find his to be egregious based on where QB salaries are headed next two seasons.  

Like I said about take the $35.25m AAV and look at who is a non-rookie contract guy who is better than Carr and paid less. It's Wilson who is barely behind at $35m AAV and is going to get anew deal after this next season cos he will only have a year left. And Brady who we know kicks the can on his deald to keep his cap hit low now but totally handcuff the team when he walks away. He did it in NE, he did it in TB before he decided to unretire. He cares about the team winning while he is there and screw them when he is gone. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

😆 

naturally salaries increase as the cap does 

it’s still a Top 5 salary 

On 4/13/2022 at 7:12 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you don’t pay top $ for good 

It’s not the best option to throw $ away 

You think Christian Wade is the best player in the NFL. 

Letting Carr walk isn’t the play, you don’t watch enough Raiders games 

• Eyeroll 1

59 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You think Christian Wade is the best player in the NFL. 

Letting Carr walk isn’t the play, you don’t watch enough Raiders games 

As usual, you ignorance abounds.  

The Wade talk is all a joke DA.  

Did I say let him walk?

No.  You ASSumed it because all you want to do is troll me. 

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

$35 million for a top 13 QB is fair IMHO.  

Carr started hood enough like most decent rookies and steadily improved through his years, but, he’s hit his ceiling.

I’ll say the same IF the RB/QB LJ gets near $40 mil per.   

I even scoffed when Jimmy G got that ridiculous contract.  And yet there’s continuous Trade talks.

Big $ that fell short of expectations.  

12 hours ago, McBean said:

I feel like we need to donate more $ to Josh.

My gosh what a steal that signing was.

it wasn't a steal...it was a fair contract for both sides...obviously contracts increase every year so Allen's will look better . Wait in 3 years when he gets a new one

52 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

that’s what I have been saying.  
New $$$

Mahomes average of $39.8 mil

Josh Allen average $43 million

Is Carr on their level?

I say no.  

No. But thinking only about the new money ignores the fact that overall the contract does NOT put him on their level. He is $8m a year off Allen and $10m a year off Mahomes. Is he at that level? I say, yes. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.