Derek Carr Contract

aristocrat

23 minutes ago, Dopey said:

The Raiders organization was a mess last year. GM fired, Gruden resigns, Ruggs killed someone, cb Damon Arnette had a hit and run incident. Through all of this, he guided them to the Playoffs, beating the Chargers to eliminate them and getting in themselves. That's a helluva lot to go through.  He's not garbage. 

Agreed.

And honestly, I think people are sleeping too much on the Raiders this year.  They are the popular choice to finish 4th in their division, but I think they will challenge for a wild card spot and could push for the division this year.  I mean all the other teams in their division have some questions about them heading into the season:

• KC has some struggles at times last year and now lost some key players, including one of its best players while every team in their division got significantly better on paper.  
  • Den adds Wilson, but he is coming off a down year.  Will he bounce back to closer to his old form, or will it be more of the same.  Can their WR's stay healthy?  
  • LAC added some needed defensive help, but will it be enough.  They were bad in all 3 phases of defense last year and they just seem to still have that lack of clutch the Chargers always seem to lack.  Can they find a way to win the tough and close games?  While they seemed improved on paper, so do most their division mates, so will it be enough?  

On paper, its the toughest division I can ever remember seeing, so its hard to say who will emerge.  Last year they proved through adversity they could grind out those gritty wins in tough close games.  If that team shows up again, with Adams and Chandler now on the roster, they might not only be able to win a wild card spot, but possibly the division.  

Interesting futures bet:  Raiders to win division at +700

I kind of like it.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

No, but it it sickens me that by far Mahomes’ two best games the last two years were v. the Bills in the playoffs.  

Yes …. You got me there …

Particularly his most recent game against the Bills  .. by some margin the  best he had played all season….

Then the next week was the worst in his career..

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Dollars compared to other QB's isn't super comforting to me. I mean, I guess it is to feel like I have value. But his $$$ is still a very significant % of the cap going forward. Next year Allen, Diggs, and Miller together are going to take up just over 1/3 of our total cap space next year and the year after. 

The Bills pushed all their chips to the middle of the table this year. I am fine with it. But it will cost us in the next 2-3 years no matter what Derek Carr gets paid. 

Not really all are capable of being restructured at anytime 

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Not really all are capable of being restructured at anytime 

Restructuring only kicks the can down the road. So sure we can "restructure" Diggs so his cap number isn't $26M in 2024. But that will increase his number is 25 and 26 where his cap number is still $26M plus. Allen is similar and would require an extension to spread the money. Miller is a bit different because we have an out in 2025 with a $7M dead cap hit. 

But people keep parroting "restructure" like it is some magic bullet that makes the cap go away. Restructuring is how we got under the cap this year. And it is directly responsible for the conversations we are having as to whether or not we keep Poyer or Knox going forward. 

8 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Oooooffff. Good luck Vegas, middling team for life. 

Guy plays his ass off with no O Line and Hunter Renfrow and Zay Jones as weapons.   What else do you want him to do ? 

Carr is good.    Excellent signing imo. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Guy plays his ass off with no O Line and Hunter Renfrow and Zay Jones as weapons.   What else do you want him to do ? 

Carr is good.    Excellent signing imo. 

you don’t pay top $ for good 

It’s not the best option to throw $ away 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Restructuring only kicks the can down the road. So sure we can "restructure" Diggs so his cap number isn't $26M in 2024. But that will increase his number is 25 and 26 where his cap number is still $26M plus. Allen is similar and would require an extension to spread the money. Miller is a bit different because we have an out in 2025 with a $7M dead cap hit. 

But people keep parroting "restructure" like it is some magic bullet that makes the cap go away. Restructuring is how we got under the cap this year. And it is directly responsible for the conversations we are having as to whether or not we keep Poyer or Knox going forward. 

So what? Every team deals with these decisions you can’t keep everybody it’s not Monopoly money. 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed.

And honestly, I think people are sleeping too much on the Raiders this year.  They are the popular choice to finish 4th in their division, but I think they will challenge for a wild card spot and could push for the division this year.  I mean all the other teams in their division have some questions about them heading into the season:

• KC has some struggles at times last year and now lost some key players, including one of its best players while every team in their division got significantly better on paper.  
  • Den adds Wilson, but he is coming off a down year.  Will he bounce back to closer to his old form, or will it be more of the same.  Can their WR's stay healthy?  
  • LAC added some needed defensive help, but will it be enough.  They were bad in all 3 phases of defense last year and they just seem to still have that lack of clutch the Chargers always seem to lack.  Can they find a way to win the tough and close games?  While they seemed improved on paper, so do most their division mates, so will it be enough?  

On paper, its the toughest division I can ever remember seeing, so its hard to say who will emerge.  Last year they proved through adversity they could grind out those gritty wins in tough close games.  If that team shows up again, with Adams and Chandler now on the roster, they might not only be able to win a wild card spot, but possibly the division.  

Interesting futures bet:  Raiders to win division at +700

I kind of like it.  

Something to be said about a team rallying together through that adversity. Carr was the glue. Wouldn't surprise me if they were AFCW contenders. But they let Zay leave. Gonna hurt. Just kidding.

Edited by Dopey
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you don’t pay top $ for good 

It’s not the best option to throw $ away 

Good thing they aren't paying him "top money" then.  

They paid him good money, not top money.  I would say its a fair contract on both sides.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Depends how much the salary cap jumps.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They paid him good money, not top money.  I would say its a fair contract on both sides.

Yea. Once you look at it properly as a being 4 years $140m, about $35m per year it is a pretty fair contract in this current market. No wanting to re-do the whole Dak debate but you'd rather have Carr at $35m AAV than Dak at $40m AAV. I think Dak is a better player but it isn't a $5m difference. Of course what should have happened with Dak is the Cowboys should have paid him sooner. They baulked at $32m per, then they baulked at $36m per and ended up backing themselves into a corner and paying $40m per. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

On 4/13/2022 at 8:31 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Yo dawg. Your bark is loud but 
$122 / 3 

Average Salary = $40,500,000

That is 5th in QB salary. TOP $ my friend 

Being 3 years makes it reasonable because there isn’t a better option. 

Did you assume I was saying Carr was no good?

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yo dawg. Your bank is loud but 
$122 / 3 

Average Salary = $40,500,000

That is 5th in QB salary. TOP $ my friend 

Being 3 years makes it reasonable because there isn’t a better option. 

Did you assume I was saying Carr was no good?

But it isn't really that. It is 3 years / $122m added on to one remaining year of $19.5m. They will have paid him the signing bonus (details tbc) now so they have almost certainly increased his hit in 2022 but spread the impact of that $122m over 4 years. So what they really have now is Derek Carr under contract for 4 years, $141m / $35.2m AAV. Which puts Carr 7th. The only vet guys (ie. non rookie deals) who are better than him and paid less are Brady (who we know keeps his hits low and pushes dead money onto the cap after he has gone as he did with NE and would have done this year for TB had he not returned) and Wilson who is a hair below at $35m AAV and due a new deal soon. That isn't "top" money. In fact I think this is a good contract for the Raiders, a good contract for Carr, and possibly a good contract for the league because it suggests to some extent a market correction. 

EDIT: The way Spotrac are showing it now they have only paid him a small signing bonus actually so his 2022 hit is basically unchanged. They have reduced, but guaranteed his base salary, and then made up the difference with $1.8m amortised signing bonus. The advantage to doing that for the Raiders is let's say they do struggle in a very tough division and finish 4th at 5 or 6 wins..... they can get out of Carr's deal for $5.5m in dead money. It would cost them about $10m to get out after 2023 (because some of the 2024 money guarantees if he stays on the roster in 2023) and then $1.8m to get out after 2024. It is a really clever contract. Because it doesn't tie them to Carr AT ALL if the chance to upgrade arises either through the draft or FA. But equally it recognises that having Carr is better than not having a Quarterback. It is basically a year to year deal from this point.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

WHY because they lost Tyreek? 

They lost Hill and Mathieu who were not only two of their best players but two really important guys in the locker room. I actually think in Justin Reid they have a hell of a replacement for Mathieu, he might even be an upgrade at this point as he is younger and more athletic, but I don't think he is the leader on and off the field that Honey Badger was. 

To be clear I still think Kansas City is going to at the very least be in the playoff running until the end and I think they will win 10 games minimum. But they might just be having their first mini-reset of the Mahomes era. We will get there with Josh too at some point. Hopefully our division continues to be trash so that a mini-reset does not cost us a playoff year. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.