Derek Carr Contract

aristocrat

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think Carr has been absolutely solid for his entire career .. just on shitshow team/shitshow organization.  He's durable, accurate, professional.  I've always loved the guy and I think the Raiders were very wise to secure him (if they can commit to giving him some talent to work with).

To me he has always seemed like a good guy, a high character guy. And I agree his team has not been a high quality one. 

But he seems to fold under pressure and lacks the leadership qualities of a top NFL quarterback.  The problem, I think, is that teams see those personal qualities, see the italics, and they also get to know a player very well, and that clouds their judgement.

Carr has a top tight end and and now Devante Adams.  If the line is solid, he should have a great year and lead the Raiders to their first playoff win in a long time.  But I don't think he will step up and take them there.

Edited by Mister Defense

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If Carr got that amount of jack, then we completely screwed Josh on his contract.  What a steal.

No that is not true and it is a terrible way to express it.

Yes now that more contracts have been signed it looks better and better but NO the Bills did not "screw" Josh Allen, they gave him at the time one of the best deals.  As a Bills fan, I would NOT want to think that we "screwed" him.  Would you want your franchise QB to get the idea his team "screwed" him?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A star? No. I do think he is underrated though. And as discussed multiple times.... the QB market is inefficiently recognising the difference between the franchise tier and the elite tier. It is what it is. Your alternative is don't have a QB. 

If this is a 3 year extension onto his final year of his previous deal then that makes it 4 years at $35m per year. I think that is right about where his value is in this market.

I disagree that he is underrated, but we'll see this year.  "Offensive guru" Josh McDaniels, Devante Adams, Renfrow, Waller and Josh Jacobs.

No more excuses.  He either makes the leap or the criticism is 100% justified.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I disagree that he is underrated, but we'll see this year.  "Offensive guru" Josh McDaniels, Devante Adams, Renfrow, Waller and Josh Jacobs.

No more excuses.  He either makes the leap or the criticism is 100% justified.

Makes what leap? What do you think he needs to do? 

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Derek Carr is the AFC's version of Kirk Cousins

Not going to win anything significant because of him, but too scared to get rid of him and start fresh

If I were a Raiders fan, I'd be thrilled to have been in QB purgatory for the last 10+ seasons and just signing up for at least 4 more

I'd take Cousins over Carr without blinking.  

Kirk has led 2 different teams to the playoffs multiple times.  2 of those being with Washington and one of the worst owners in all of sports.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Makes what leap? What do you think he needs to do? 

Have that signature win or performance.  If we're being generous, you could say the Chargers game last year, but he wasn't particularly good and was outplayed by Herbert.

• Disagree 1

55 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Chiefs are NOT better than the Raiders or Broncos. They will be lucky to win 8-9 games next year. 

We'll find out just how good Mahomes is.  

Kelce is still there, and they will have a good WR group, but Hill/Kelce in their prime was something we've never seen before... as impossible as it gets to cover.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, he’s an above average starter that you can win with …but won’t win “because of him” if things wilt around him

To me he is exactly the QB Andy Dalton was before the Bengals smartened up and went for broke on Burrow.    Carr is just smart and talented enough to keep a team from ever winning a championship.   Type of guy that can win half of his games and sneak you into the playoffs every once and awhile but he is never going to carry you against the Elite Quarterbacks because he isnt one.   So the Raiders have a choice, overpay the guy everyone in the building likes, or bottom out and try and go get an elite talent at the risk of alienating their fans.   Smart teams do the second thing regardless of how fans feel.

Think about this for a second, the Raiders just handed a guy who is 57-70 in his career another 121 million dollars.   In his career to date they've paid him 1.9 million dollars per win he has brought them.   No playoff victories in his eight year career..and its not going to start now with them likley battling for the basement in their division for the foreseeable future.    By the time they smarten up they will have paid him over 230 million dollars to be average.  Good job if you can get it.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

Tiers:

Tier 1:  Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow

Tier 2:  Herbert, Stafford, Wilson, Lamar

Tier 3: Dak, Cousins, Carr, Tannehill, Murray

Tier 4: Ryan, Baker, Lawrence, Jimmy G

Tier 5: Tua, Goff, Jameis, Wentz, Mac

Tier 6: Fields, Hurts, Mariotta, Darnold

Tier 7: Mitch, Jones, Mills, Zach Wilson, Watson 

Yes, Carr is a top 15 QB every week.  

Edited by Big Blitz

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If Carr got that amount of jack, then we completely screwed Josh on his contract.  What a steal.

Beane rolled the dice that showing the elite goods for one single year was enough,  and was proved right. Benefit of the bargain to the Bills and Beane. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I suspect that Allen knew he wasn't getting every nickel he could get.  He's still going to be fabulously wealthy.  He wants to win and if he scoops up all the nickels there wouldn't be a way to keep the team together.  This guy cares a lot more about hoisting the Lombardi than in being the best-paid QB.  The teams overpaying for QBs are the ones with big holes in their roster.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Tiers:

Tier 7: Mitch, Jones, Mills, Zach Wilson, Mitch, Watson 

so you missed tannehill’s playoff game against the Bengals?

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Tiers:

That's a decent ranking.  I just want to note that being in the third tier makes him just slightly above average, and yet he's getting paid like a much better QB.  

5 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Quite the murderers row of QBs when Derek Carr is indisputably the worst one by a mile. 

Each team in the AFCW plays six divisional games.  It's hard to see any of them doing better than 4-2, considering the high level of competition.  If the Bills can repeat at 6-0 in the AFCE, that's a leg up on the One Seed.

35 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We'll find out just how good Mahomes is.  

Kelce is still there, and they will have a good WR group, but Hill/Kelce in their prime was something we've never seen before... as impossible as it gets to cover.  

It's not the Offense.. that defense will be PUTRID

16 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Tiers:

Carr is better than Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson, IMO.  And how is Watson in the bottom tier?  What has Trevor Lawrence done to not warrant being in the bottom tier?

21 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

so you missed tannehill’s playoff game against the Bengals?

Meh.  I'm trying to balance overall numbers and record with "what have you done for me lately?"

My tiers aren't necessarily a ranking even tho I tried to do that. 

But who would you put over Tanny right now?

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Carr is better than Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson, IMO.  And how is Watson in the bottom tier?  What has Trevor Lawrence done to not warrant being in the bottom tier?

I weighed the 2nd year QBs based on the year they had and where I think they're headed.  Lawrence is going to be fine.

I'm obviously joking about Watson.

And which of the guys in the tiers below Lawrence would you put over him? 

Edited by Big Blitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.