Derek Carr Contract

aristocrat

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Is he really a star QB?

A star? No. I do think he is underrated though. And as discussed multiple times.... the QB market is inefficiently recognising the difference between the franchise tier and the elite tier. It is what it is. Your alternative is don't have a QB. 

If this is a 3 year extension onto his final year of his previous deal then that makes it 4 years at $35m per year. I think that is right about where his value is in this market.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 7

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Is he really a star QB?

Well he certainly is given how much he just got paid :)

I think he is very good. He is not worth that much probably but I think if you have QB like him it is still better to overpay him then let him ho and hope that you will find a better one.

• Agree 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

A star? No. I do think he is underrated though. And as discussed multiple times.... the QB market is inefficiently recognising the difference between the franchise tier and the elite tier. It is what it is. Your alternative is don't have a QB. 

If this is a 3 year extension onto his final year of his previous deal then that makes it 4 years at $35m per year. I think that is right about where his value is in this market.

He finally made the playoffs in year 8.  Thea team couldn't run the ball very well at all so most of the offense ran through him.  

Adams, Renfrow, Waller - i think they're going to pass even more this year too.  Jacobs and Drake probably get more involved in a mcdaniels offense.  I think it'll look a bit like the chargers with all the short passes, and carr is equipped to do well in that style of offense.   

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

He finally made the playoffs in year 8.  Thea team couldn't run the ball very well at all so most of the offense ran through him.  

Adams, Renfrow, Waller - i think they're going to pass even more this year too.  Jacobs and Drake probably get more involved in a mcdaniels offense.  I think it'll look a bit like the chargers with all the short passes, and carr is equipped to do well in that style of offense.   

In fairness he made the playoffs earlier on too but then broke his ankle after the Raiders had sealed their spot and missed the playoff game.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness he made the playoffs earlier on too but then broke his ankle after the Raiders had sealed their spot and missed the playoff game.

Oof - thats some andy dalton luck right there.  

In any case - Josh likely sees a better version of mac jones.  Better playmakers across the board.  I know last year NE was a heavy run team, but i think McDaniels will be adaptable and play to strengths as he's always done with NE - and this team will be annoying to play against as they'll just chip their way up the field.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Technically they made the playoffs earlier in his career but he got hurt and couldn’t play in the game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Carr isn't a bad QB. He's solid and strung together a decent 4 year stretch. It's Cousins/Dak type of $$$ like I expected. When you average it out over 4 years it's also quite team friendly. For the people talking about LV being a "middling" team? They added a legit star pass rusher to go along with Crosby in Chandler Jones. They also added a Top 5 WR in Adams to go with Renfrow, Waller, and Jacobs. This is after making the playoffs last year and losing to the eventual AFC Champs by one score in the first round.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

He is not the best QB, but he isn’t a scrub or anything. Maybe top 15? And he did a pretty good job keeping the team together after everything that happened with Gruden and Ruggs last year. Something to be said for being able to navigate all that and get your team to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.