Trading into the top 10? Top 20?

Yantha

1)  Beane has traded up in the draft a number of times.    Not necessarily in the 1st round, but in the draft in general.

So it is possible Beane does a trade up.

2)  Obviously we traded up for Josh Allen, but Beane also traded up for Tremaine Edmunds that same year.  

The Bills moved from 22 to 16 to select Tremaine Edmunds.  so not a huge jump, but Beane had to give up pick 22, and  pick 65 (which was the very first pick in the 3rd round which we got from trading Tyrod Taylor).  The Bills got back a 5th from Baltimore.  

3) Beane also moved up to get Cody Ford, Dawson Knox and I think Dion Dawkins.

I don't think there is any chance Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley are on the board past pick 12, so I don't think it makes sense to trade into the Top 10 to get one of them. 

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’ll supposedly this is a deep draft for WR and DE’s.  We don’t really need an End at this point, and you can make the argument to take a mid round WR’s.  

IMHO, CB if taken high enough could be a year 1 starter.  Of the six mentioned above Gardner has experience

and talent as a zone CB.  That places a nice blanket on the backend.  We’ve already improved significantly on the front end.

It does appear that it is a deep draft for WR.   Plus Beane is probably feeling confident he can find another Gab Davis in the middle rounds.

CB is the headscratcher.   No free agent CB signing, so you have to think the draft is where he will get at least one.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I could see us move up into the 15-20 range for Stingley or Booth at CB, long shot would be a little higher trade up (11-14) for Kyle Hamilton if he falls out of the top 10. 

Would take at least our 2nd pick to do and we would be lamenting we didnt have a 2nd round pick.

I honestly would like to have more 2nd round picks.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You can spin this so many ways and find a positive path for the Bills.  

Trade up and burn some draft capital to get a shut down corner - this fits the plan of win now at all costs.  It might hurt in the long run, but if they get a top cover CB it helps now and gives them flexibility if White does not return to ProBowl form.

Stay put - there is probably enough depth in this draft at CB and WR to get an impact player late in the first round. Even if there is a run on both positions then that likely means a quality OL has fallen to them.  

Acquire more picks either with a trade down or moving Edmunds - this is the scenario that gives you cap flexibility in the next few years and restocks the roster with some young cheaper talent at LB, OL, WR, and secondary.  

I would probably choose trading Edmunds for a #2 and get 4 picks in the top 100.  I would use the savings to sign Gilmore and then I would then take a LB, CB, OT, and WR in no particular order.  Get a punter in the fifth and a safety later.  

You can grab a punter in the 7th.  The 5th is a little early for me.  I would also exchange For T for G.

I anticipate a huge move up.

What the Bills view as the 32nd pick in the 2023 draft might not mean  that much to them.

Just look at what the Falcons did when they drafted Julio Jones.

Sauce Gardner is THAT player who the Bills will target.

This is the move. Will it happen? Tough call.

Stay tuned.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Anybody who thinks the Bills are trading UP in the first round of this draft for a CB just hasn't paid very much attention to the Brandon Beane team-building process.

You are correct.

But they could swing for the fences with a guy like Gardner.

Beane and company have surprised us before.

Wow thanks for your responses. :)

I have a few takeaways here from what "we're" saying.

1.  Beane has a tendency to move up for players he covets.

2.  Cornerback is arguably the most likely move to go up and get a player, and SAUCE might be the only one worth the cost of such a move.  Question is whether Sauce can find himself closer to the bottom of the top 10 or a bit further down (crazier things have happened).

Personally I don't like where we are at 25 and see a bit of a GAP in talent at that spot.  I'm hoping a top 20 talent slips to 25, but would be happy to just get up there and get an instant differencemaker.  

I do have a feeling that Andrew Booth will be there at 25, he he'll be our pick.  I hope not though.....  A bit of a boom or bust player IMO.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Would take at least our 2nd pick to do and we would be lamenting we didnt have a 2nd round pick.

I honestly would like to have more 2nd round picks.

Agreed, I'm not advocating for it. To get up to 10-12 I'd say we'd probably be giving up next year's 1st rounder. I'd be ok with that for Sauce or Hamilton but that's really it. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I can’t help thinking that Beane must love Jameson Williams. He talked about “if you find another Tyreek Hill call me.” Williams is the closest thing. The Bills are absolutely looking for a WR that runs after the catch. That was a big problem last year. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Bills move up 10 spots(ish) to try to secure him.

I have wondered about this too. Jameson Williams could be the one player that Beane looks at as a potential game changing superstar that he could realistically add to the team. As long as Josh Allen is here, that caliber of 1st round talent will rarely be within our reach. It just so happens that Williams' ACL injury could push him closer to the middle of the 1st round when in any other year he would be a guaranteed top 10 pick. If Beane is comfortable with the medicals AND the football character, the injury will be an afterthought. He's never been shy about going after a player he loves. It's a reasonable possibility.

I think in that trade up scenario the first spot that makes sense is Houston at pick #13. They pick right before Philly, Baltimore, and New Orleans, all teams that could use a WR, and Houston needs as many lottery tickets as possible. If you want to guarantee that you get Jameson Williams, that has to be the target pick.

To move up that high you're talking about possibly giving up next year's 1st rounder, or a lot of assets from this year. Playing around with the trade value chart I came up with a scenario where Houston gets our 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and in exchange we get their 1st and a swap of 3rds (our pick #89 for their pick #68). In that scenario we would end up with Jameson Williams, a high 3rd round pick, and 3 picks from rounds 6-7, and we'd keep all of our picks for next year. It would be a big risk. But if Beane loves the player he will make that bet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

39 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Agreed, I'm not advocating for it. To get up to 10-12 I'd say we'd probably be giving up next year's 1st rounder. I'd be ok with that for Sauce or Hamilton but that's really it. 

Yeah, thats kind of where I am at too.  I think those might be the only players they would move up for 10+ spots for, but its going to take one of them slipping far enough to get.

Other than that, I do think Beane would pull the trigger on a move up for someone else, but I doubt its far enough where it would cost us more than a 3rd.  Beane covets his premium picks.  

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You can grab a punter in the 7th.  The 5th is a little early for me.  I would also exchange For T for G.

Its an odd position.  There are years punters are drafted as high as the third round(very very rare) and a few seasons where no punters are drafted.  

The reason I say the 5th round is two reasons, they would likely get the best punter in the draft and I dont think any position player drafted out of the first four rounds can make the roster. So I say use the 5th on a punter, trade the other picks for next season and fill out your PS with UDFAs.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I have wondered about this too. Jameson Williams could be the one player that Beane looks at as a potential game changing superstar that he could realistically add to the team. As long as Josh Allen is here, that caliber of 1st round talent will rarely be within our reach. It just so happens that Williams' ACL injury could push him closer to the middle of the 1st round when in any other year he would be a guaranteed top 10 pick. If Beane is comfortable with the medicals AND the football character, the injury will be an afterthought. He's never been shy about going after a player he loves. It's a reasonable possibility.

I think in that trade up scenario the first spot that makes sense is Houston at pick #13. They pick right before Philly, Baltimore, and New Orleans, all teams that could use a WR, and Houston needs as many lottery tickets as possible. If you want to guarantee that you get Jameson Williams, that has to be the target pick.

To move up that high you're talking about possibly giving up next year's 1st rounder, or a lot of assets from this year. Playing around with the trade value chart I came up with a scenario where Houston gets our 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and in exchange we get their 1st and a swap of 3rds (our pick #89 for their pick #68). In that scenario we would end up with Jameson Williams, a high 3rd round pick, and 3 picks from rounds 6-7, and we'd keep all of our picks for next year. It would be a big risk. But if Beane loves the player he will make that bet.

Don't like this thought process at all. Beane won't do this! WR draft is deep. No need to give up so much for a damaged half a rookie season wide receiver. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.