Mel Kiper mock- Michigan DB Daxton Hill

Buffalo_Stampede

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s a slot corner/safety in this league… it’s no contest for me IF a dynamic WR is there at 25… the future benefit also isn’t even close between the two positions.

I see lot of those scouting reports. It’s funny because slot CBs are typically great in man against smaller quicker WRs and safeties aren’t. It’s such a weird projection for Hill. Probably because he played a lot in the slot and at safety. I liked his instincts in off coverage. He’s 6’ and runs 4.3. I think he’ll make an excellent outside in our scheme. 

If he fails there he moves to safety. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think a dynamic WR with terrific YAC ability moves the needle for this team more than another defensive piece… don’t even think it’s a debate… just gotta see how the board falls but if there’s a WR there with that dynamic YAC ability vs a slot corner…. How do you justify the slot corner pick?

Yeah slot corner doesnt excite me we already have Taron Johnson....if the guy can play the boundry I am more interested

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They didn’t add a WR in the 1st few rounds when they had Diggs and Beasley. They added Davis and developed him. That’s exactly what their plan at WR should be this year. Round 3-4 WR and develop. Probably another one in the 6-7 rounds. We need depth.

Crowder should get around 70 targets. Davis an extra 40 targets. Knox an extra 10 targets. McKenzie probably gets more targets, let’s give him 10 more. I’m being conservative here with target projections. 

So we’re looking at a projection of 50 targets or so for the rookie WR. A season likely of 35 catches, 500 yards, 5 TDs.

I think we can get a WR in the 3-4 round that gives us similar numbers but might need more time to develop. A Josh Palmer like WR from last year. 

They already have Marquez Stevenson for development.  They could use  a guy who can play now, pedigree-wise.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your missing my point… a projected slot/safety or borderline outside CB isn’t as valuable as a potential dynamic WR with YAC ability to this team with Josh Allen… it doesn’t move the needle nearly as much as the WR does.

My point is there will be zero dynamic WRs available at 25.

I do love Pickens but at 25 that would be considered a reach. I also like Dotson.

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

They already have Marquez Stevenson for development.  They could use  a guy who can play now, pedigree-wise.  

Play as in start or play if needed? 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It saddens me but it does seem it’s heading in that direction.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Williams may still be available with the pick. 

Williams is just turning into a no for me. What does that say about how teams feel his recovery is going if he makes it till 25? Pre-acl Williams would be a top-five pick. We just don’t know if he will be the same after surgery huge boom or bust risk. I don’t think he makes it anyway.

at least half of these guys will be on the board at #25.....bills are in a great spot

Tyler Linderbaum  C

Jameson Williams  WR

Devonte Wyatt DT

Daxton Hill  DB

Trevor Penning OT

Treylon Burks  WR

Kenyon Green  OG

Jahan Dotson WR

Andrew Booth CB

Zion Johnson OG

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I love this player. Kiper forgets we have Taron Johnson in the slot. I would love to see how McDermott uses Hill’s versatility. He can play anywhere in the secondary I believe on day 1.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33721368/nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-new-predictions-top-64-picks-rounds-1-2-including-first-round-trade?platform=amp

Watched him alot at Michigan he’s really a Swiss Army knife at DB you can play him everywhere as he’s a crazy athlete…not a shutdown corner but is definitely not bad and he would be a dynamic safety in this system. 

10 hours ago, H2o said:

Daxton Hill came in at 6', 192lbs, ran a 4.38 40, had a 6.56 3-Cone drill (insane), and a 4.06 20yd shuttle. If they took Hill in the 1st I would have absolutely no problem with that. The guy really could play anywhere in the Secondary. 

After seeing his 3-Cone weeks ago along with his 40 time…. I question, why can’t he play CB outside?

Edited by CEN-CAL17

59 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You can’t possibly know that…there is every chance that guys like Watson, Dotson and/or Burks, not to mention Alec Pierce, will be available at 25.

9 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not discounting Davis. We still need to add to the WR room, imo. If someone like Booth is the pick in the first, George Pickens or Trey McBride ought to be second round targets you trade up to secure.

No need to trade up for those guys in the 2nd imo...plenty of offensive weapons will be available at 58....👍

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I do love Pickens but at 25 that would be considered a reach. I also like Dotson.

Play as in start or play if needed? 

Play as needed until they earn more time.  Crowder only got a 1 year deal.  McKenzie is basically on a 1 year deal too.  Davis will be up for an extension or hit Free Agency After 2023.  Need young, cheap talent at the position that can be impactful.

• Like (+1) 1

Hill is certainly big enough, and athletic enough to play corner on the outside.  I wonder why he didn't at Michigan.   In any case, I don't think there is any chance Buffalo drafts him unless they can be convinced he'll be a solid outside cornerback.

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

No need to trade up for those guys in the 2nd imo...plenty of offensive weapons will be available at 58....👍

Which offensive weapons do you think will be there @ 58?  Sure, there are a bunch of guys but I don’t see a bunch of guys worthy of 58.  I think Pickens, Watson, Moore, Pierce, Robinson, McBride, Hall and Walker are all off the board.  Maybe Robinson is there?  but another slot?  Meh.   I’d be ok with pierce but I think he’s going higher than 58.  

I know you’re probably happy with the 160 lb Austin at that spot due to his speed, but good 160 lb WRs don’t exist in the nfl.  Trindon Holiday was 165 LBs.  He may be slot only due to his inability to get off press.   

Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Bell not worth 58.  Of those guys I think I’d take Tolbert…. But he might even be gone by 58.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Which offensive weapons do you think will be there @ 58?  Sure, there are a bunch of guys but I don’t see a bunch of guys worthy of 58.  I think Pickens, Watson, Moore, Pierce, Robinson, McBride, Hall and Walker are all off the board.  Maybe Robinson is there?  but another slot?  Meh.   I’d be ok with pierce but I think he’s going higher than 58.  

I know you’re probably happy with the 160 lb Austin at that spot due to his speed, but good 160 lb WRs don’t exist in the nfl.  Trindon Holiday was 165 LBs.  He may be slot only due to his inability to get off press.   

Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Bell not worth 58.  Of those guys I think I’d take Tolbert…. But he might even be gone by 58.  

I have Tolbert worth #57 (it's 57 not 58). But agree it would be a small reach for Bell and a big reach for Metchie, Shakir, Austin.... I even personally think it is a small reach for Wan'dale. 

I think the Bills need an outside guy who can be explosive. If I had taken a corner at #25 and I got to #49 ahead of the Chiefs at #50 and Tolbert was still out there I'd even be willing to go up a few spots to secure him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If Bills go D @25 and then play let the draft come to them in the 2nd round, that is not a good sign, imo. They need to aggressively upgrade the offense, not to fill holes, which seems to be the default setting for a lot of folks, but to increase the skill set and versatility of the offense so that it becomes more potent and dangerous and less reliant on Josh Allen making extraordinary plays. In addition, we actually need depth at WR and IOL. I think you may still get an impact WR or a TE like McBride at the top of the second round . . . we should make sure we get one. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.