Mel Kiper mock- Michigan DB Daxton Hill

Buffalo_Stampede

6 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I do think Dax is the better player, but I think Pitre is really good and McDermott values players that played for coaches he or his coaching staff know - Rousseau and Doyle come to mind. 

I would be good with Daxton, especially if they can get George Pickens in the following round.

Pickens didn't really do anything special there. He pushed over a DB who was locked in on pass defense, was solely focused on the WR running a pass route, and got caught off balance in his backpedal. Just saying. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if we took a guy like Hill in the 1st with the intent of him playing an outside CB position, then take a guy like Nick Cross from Maryland to play S in this defense in the 3rd.  

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s a safety who can play corner, outside or inside. While I don’t see him filling the role that Kiper does -barring injury - he would be great pick for the Bills current and future needs in the secondary. 

Agree and if he is selected seems to me to be the Poyer replacement 

• Like (+1) 1

I would love this pick.  If they take him to play CB this year opposite of Tre and then get another vet in  after the draft. Then if talks don't go well with Poyer they have a plan at S already on the team.  He could slide into that role and save them a ton of headaches and drama if he is that type of player everyone expects, can never have enough good DBs on a team, and with injuries he could also play that Nickel role if anything happens to Johnson.  

I feel the same about drafting a LB this year higher than most would like (2nd or 3rd with Muma or Andersen).  Best case scenario Edmunds becomes the All pro MLB and they have awesome cheap depth behind him and Milano for a few years.  Worst case, Edmunds doesn't do anything, isn't resigned and they then have someone who has been in the system and is ready to step up next year.   

I am a fan of his, he can play CB2 without an issue, he is highly competitive against the pass...but he is also someone that can support the run and runs a sub 4.4 forty.  He is the anti Wallace, physical, athletic and fast.

45 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

I would love this pick.  If they take him to play CB this year opposite of Tre and then get another vet in  after the draft. Then if talks don't go well with Poyer they have a plan at S already on the team.  He could slide into that role and save them a ton of headaches and drama if he is that type of player everyone expects, can never have enough good DBs on a team, and with injuries he could also play that Nickel role if anything happens to Johnson.  

I feel the same about drafting a LB this year higher than most would like (2nd or 3rd with Muma or Andersen).  Best case scenario Edmunds becomes the All pro MLB and they have awesome cheap depth behind him and Milano for a few years.  Worst case, Edmunds doesn't do anything, isn't resigned and they then have someone who has been in the system and is ready to step up next year.   

Opportunity cost would be my concern with drafting LB so high.  If we do then I think Edmunds is definitely gone.  If youre drafting a back up LB on day 2 then you are missing out on developmental starters that will play at WR and iOL.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I love this player. Kiper forgets we have Taron Johnson in the slot. I would love to see how McDermott uses Hill’s versatility. He can play anywhere in the secondary I believe on day 1.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33721368/nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-new-predictions-top-64-picks-rounds-1-2-including-first-round-trade?platform=amp

Funny that Kiper forgets about Taron, considering the Ravens are his favorite team.

14 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Opportunity cost would be my concern with drafting LB so high.  If we do then I think Edmunds is definitely gone.  If youre drafting a back up LB on day 2 then you are missing out on developmental starters that will play at WR and iOL.

100% agree but if they aren't satisfied with Edmunds play and they do this, the writing will be on the wall for other teams too. Maybe the can get a pick or a player for him after the draft or early in the preseason. Would love to also see what Edmunds does behind an actual DLine 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

One doesn't draft a slot corner in the 1st....or does one?

depends,  if hes that good,  or the Bills value his versatility enough that he can play corner now, and one day he can replace Poyer or Hyde.   sadly,  they wont be around forever.

Edited by bigduke6

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Bills have plenty of offensive weapons for Allen. I’m not sure what you mean?

Josh Allen takes a beating in order for the current Bills' offense to excel. You don't want that long term and you want to reduce the necessity for it in the playoffs. While anyone can see the cogency of Booth or maybe Hill in the first, the bulk of early round picks need to be used on offense, imo. Why not get a fella like Jameson Williams, though that probably means a trade up, or Christian Watson @25 to add a speed element to increase the stress the offense can put on the opposing defense. We should be so good that the opposing D is afraid, the way KC with Kelce and Hill allowed Mahomes to maximize his talent. The interior oline could use a Kenyon Green if he falls within a small trade up distance. In short, the default view that because of Josh Allen, we can continue to concentrate top picks on D is not sound.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No they don’t.… and I’d hardly say the offensive line is improved… 

How do you figure they don’t have offensive weapons for Allen?

They can definitively improve the run game, and they have attempted through the OL coach and a top run blocker. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Josh Allen takes a beating in order for the current Bills' offense to excel. You don't want that long term and you want to reduce the necessity for it in the playoffs. While anyone can see the cogency of Booth or maybe Hill in the first, the bulk of early round picks need to be used on offense, imo. Why not get a fella like Jameson Williams, though that probably means a trade up, or Christian Watson @25 to add a speed element to increase the stress the offense can put on the opposing defense. We should be so good that the opposing D is afraid, the way KC with Kelce and Hill allowed Mahomes to maximize his talent. The interior oline could use a Kenyon Green if he falls within a small trade up distance. In short, the default view that because of Josh Allen, we can continue to concentrate top picks on D is not sound.

Is Gabe Davis never going to get a chance?

IOL could be upgraded sure. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How do you figure they don’t have offensive weapons for Allen?

They can definitively improve the run game, and they have attempted through the OL coach and a top run blocker. 

Is Gabe Davis never going to get a chance?

IOL could be upgraded sure. 

I'm not discounting Davis. We still need to add to the WR room, imo. If someone like Booth is the pick in the first, George Pickens or Trey McBride ought to be second round targets you trade up to secure.

Edited by Dr. Who

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.