Deshaun Watson better than Allen?

Success

Not any more…, 

54 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

it is interesting that every professional stadium in houston has a dome. astrodome, minute maid and reliant. never paid much attention to reliant, but looked it up and it is a fabric retractable roof. saw an article from 2019 or 2020 saying they were opening it up for first time in 6 years. opens in 6 minutes!  i guess they like to keep it shut for crowd noise, not weather. 

Maybe so, not sure if it's enough difference in crowd noise either way, but Atlanta is another dome that mainly has decent weather. I don't know, you're probably right about the crowd noise though. If it's a enough of a difference in being louder it would make sense.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

#1. Brady is still Brady, even at 45 until we see him fall off

#2. Rodgers still does everything he did 10 years ago

#3. Mahomes I give the slightest of edges to over Allen. That's likely to be a different view after the upcoming season with no Tyreek Hill. 

#4. Allen, who is still climbing this list and hasn't even reached his full potential yet. 

#5. Burrow is exactly who they drafted him to be and will continue to grow. 

#6. Herbert is well on his way also. 

#7. Lamar Jackson. Despite his inconsistencies, he's still a bigger threat than anyone else below him. 

#8. Matt Stafford. LA traded for him and they win the SB. His numbers speak for themselves. 

#9. Deshaun Watson belongs here. 

This list is more in line w/ how I view it. I kind of think that Brady & Rogers go 1/2 just out of experience, and deference - but in a way, I think you could flip them w/ Mahomes and Allen.  Objectively, if I'm going into a season, I'd want the younger guys.

As for who is better between Mahomes & Allen - I feel like most give Mahomes the nod because of the ring, which is very fair.  But I'd still take Allen.

2 hours ago, H2o said:

#1. Brady is still Brady, even at 45 until we see him fall off

#2. Rodgers still does everything he did 10 years ago

#3. Mahomes I give the slightest of edges to over Allen. That's likely to be a different view after the upcoming season with no Tyreek Hill. 

***** Tom Brady and his cheating medically enhanced ways. 

Whiner A-ARon plays it safe and doesn’t make the tougher passes.  What will he do w/o a ️ WR.  

Mahomes No Look pass faded away. No Tyreek Hill will be interesting to see.  

/rant.  

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

***** Tom Brady and his cheating medically enhanced ways. 

Whiner A-ARon plays it safe and doesn’t make the tougher passes.  What will he do w/o a ️ WR.  

Mahomes No Look pass faded away. No Tyreek Hill will be interesting to see.  

/rant.  

Josh is better than Rodgers right now. 

• Agree 1

Despite their undoubted quality and success I would expect most franchise, given the chance, would take the likes of Josh, Mahomes, Burrow and Herbert now over Brady and Rogers. The Bucs and the Packers will have to plan for the future at QB very soon; all being well the Chiefs, Bengals, Chargers and ourselves will not.

All Josh needs now is consistency. He’s the best quarterback in the league when looking at how he played against the Chiefs. Then look at the games against the Jaguars and the Colts for example… But there is no question he’s getting there and he should be in the top five QBs without question.

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yes, I respect that. I'm just curious what you see to think that because I can't find anything at all. Or maybe you're yanking my chain? Lol...there isn't any QB I can think off top of my head other than Lamar running the ball that can top those amazing plays we have seen Allen from his rookie year til most recent season. 

Did you confuse Watson with Lamar maybe?

Look, let's back up.  This thread started being about who are the best QBs, and most people are talking about that question.   That's what I was responding to when I started talking about Watson.   From his rookie season, I've looked at Watson as an elite QB in the making.  He's an elite thrower (third on the career passer rating list, behind Mahomes and Rodgers), and he's an outstanding runner when compared with the other elite throwers.  Russell Wilson, Brees, Prescott, Cousins, Brady, Romo, Young, Manning, Rivers are the next names on the passer rating list, and NONE of them were or are runners anything like Watson. 

We'll see how he looks after a year and a half and playing once again for a franchise that has questionable management, but he is a special guy. 

And he runs his team very well.   He's good in the huddle, a good leader.  

In particular to running, I've always liked him as runner.  Savvy, good speed, opportunistic.  To compare him to Allen, they have comparable speed, Allen has clearly better power, Watson has better change of direction.  Allen is surprisingly agile, but he doesn't change direction like Watson does.  

So, I'll say again, when someone asks me who's the better runner, my opinion is that Watson is a better runner.   Maybe I'm wrong, and my view is that they're close enough that I don't see the point in discussing it very long.  There are about 25 teams that wish they had someone who can run like those two.  

And, no, I wasn't thinking of Jackson.  Jackson's a better runner than either Watson or Allen, but if I had Lamar Jackson as my starting QB, I'd be looking for a new QB.  To utilize his talents, his team has to reshape it's offense in ways that make it less than an optimal offense, and there's no way to fix that.   I think five years from people will be talking about Allen and Watson like they talked about Manning and Brady ten years ago, and Jackson will not be in the conversation.

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Look, let's back up.  This thread started being about who are the best QBs, and most people are talking about that question.   That's what I was responding to when I started talking about Watson.   From his rookie season, I've looked at Watson as an elite QB in the making.  He's an elite thrower (third on the career passer rating list, behind Mahomes and Rodgers), and he's an outstanding runner when compared with the other elite throwers.  Russell Wilson, Brees, Prescott, Cousins, Brady, Romo, Young, Manning, Rivers are the next names on the passer rating list, and NONE of them were or are runners anything like Watson. 

We'll see how he looks after a year and a half and playing once again for a franchise that has questionable management, but he is a special guy. 

And he runs his team very well.   He's good in the huddle, a good leader.  

In particular to running, I've always liked him as runner.  Savvy, good speed, opportunistic.  To compare him to Allen, they have comparable speed, Allen has clearly better power, Watson has better change of direction.  Allen is surprisingly agile, but he doesn't change direction like Watson does.  

So, I'll say again, when someone asks me who's the better runner, my opinion is that Watson is a better runner.   Maybe I'm wrong, and my view is that they're close enough that I don't see the point in discussing it very long.  There are about 25 teams that wish they had someone who can run like those two.  

And, no, I wasn't thinking of Jackson.  Jackson's a better runner than either Watson or Allen, but if I had Lamar Jackson as my starting QB, I'd be looking for a new QB.  To utilize his talents, his team has to reshape it's offense in ways that make it less than an optimal offense, and there's no way to fix that.   I think five years from people will be talking about Allen and Watson like they talked about Manning and Brady ten years ago, and Jackson will not be in the conversation.

Yeah I mean it's no need to go back through all that. I pretty much agree everything else you stated other than Watson is better running the ball. Again, I'm not saying he isn't a good runner, but Allen is just amazing with some of the things he does running. They both get good yardage when running, but Allen is better making players miss.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

ESPN?

my first take is to turn the channel 

BUT to the point 

D Watson was tearing it up in HOU until he got his ribs crushed 

he just wasn’t the same Stats wise after 

The question was "Who are the Top 5 QBs in the NFL NOW" ........  Watson hasn't played in over 16 months....He is NOT in the Top 5 NOW.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.