Deshaun Watson better than Allen?

Success

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What a *****in' joke.  Josh behind Watson because McChoke.  Is there any doubt that if we brought home the Lombardi like we should have, that the rest of the NFL would know what every Bills fan knows?  Namely that Josh Allen is the best PLAYER, let alone QB, in the NFL.  GTF outta here with this weak-ass *****

Considering at the rate Josh was going he might have dropped 10 more TDs in the process, so probably not.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 1

One of these guys had the comforts of a dome and a game in Jacksonville every year - and walked in as a rookie with Nuke Hopkins on the team.

The other guy is a winner and his win/loss record and total yards blows the loser and sexual predator away.  

Screenshot_20220412-142435_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-142349_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Right now I would go #1 and #2 with either QB going either way as Allen and Mahomes. Brady/Rodgers up there in age, so if could pick any QB right now I think the best young QB's has to be Allen/Mahomes as top 2.

Maybe Herbert being the closest but yet still so far away. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Did anyone see that heated debate on First Take just now? They were debating if Allen is a top 5 QB in the league.  Keyshawn had him at #6 - behind Brady, Rogers, Herbert, Burrow & Watson.

I actually have issues w/ all of those names being ranked ahead of Allen.  I get the deference for Brady, but would anyone really want him over Allen RIGHT NOW?  Rogers I can understand more.  Herbert has done nothing in the league.  Burrow looks to be very good, but hasn't shown nearly the versatility & clutch play that Allen has (imo).

But Watson?

I don't really get it - not just Keyshawn's take, but a still fairly large group of pundits who can't seem to break away from what they thought of Allen in the draft, or his rookie season.  I get that it's not that important, and in general, prefer it when the Bills are disrespected, but it just seems like I'm living on a different planet than some of these guys.

EDIT:  he also had Mahomes ahead of Allen (which is one I completely get, though I think is closer than most)

Honestly, Watson is a top 5 QB himself.  People writing him off after a season off is puzzling to me, he is legit top 5 until he shows me something on the field that says he isn't the same guy.  Allen obviously is top 5 and a case can be made he is number 1.  Top 4 are without debate in no particular order Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers and Brady (assuming Brady keeps up the level of play he had last year again).  

As good as Allen is, there are just people who are not going to accept it until he has the resume which needs to include a SB win and probably an MVP...two things that both have a good chance of happening this season.

I have to say though, Burrow is a joke to list ahead of Allen.  Can you even make a case for Burrow being top in the 5 just the AFC even right now?  I mean in no particular order: In the AFC alone you have Allen, Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Hebert, Lamar, Burrow, etc.  If I had to pick the best 5 in just the AFC, Burrow is 6th.  I would go Allen, Mahomes, Watson, Hebert, Wilson, then Burrow...but you can make a case for Lamar at 5 or 6 too.  There isn't anything Burrow is better at than Allen IMHO, and certainly not better than him overall.  Burrow is still getting better presumably, so he can close the gap, but today he is not on the same level as Allen.  

Allen throws lasers, dimes, etc.  Burrow throws a lot of prayer balls to elite receivers who make insane plays.  Allen makes throws Burrow will never be able to make, and Allen is a superior athlete and runner with superior escapability.  Again, not saying Burrow wont become a top 5 QB overall in the NFL, just saying he is arguably not even top 5 in the AFC today while Allen is easily one of the best overall in the game, and has a case for the best QB right now.  Just because the Bengals, as a TEAM, surprised and made the SB, Burrow is getting over exaggerated in terms of where he ranks against his peers.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't watch or hear what he says often, but the times I do it almost always seems Johnson says some stupid, illogical thing--like that.

Almost no GM would trade Allen for anyone right now. Period.

The only comparable player is Mahomes, in my view.

Brady is 44, and Rodgers is a head case, not a leader of men. And Watson, well, good luck with that, Cleveland, and all that guaranteed money...

• Like (+1) 2

If you're putting Mahomes bc of a Super Bowl win and the one Rodgers won 10 years ago, as reasons to put them ahead of Allen - please apply that logic to the pro ready Justin Herbert - who for 2 straight years has been on one of the most talented teams in the league and has yet to make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I don't watch or hear what he says often, but the times I do it almost always seems Johnson says some stupid, illogical thing--like that.

Almost no GM would trade Allen for anyone right now. Period.

The only comparable player is Mahomes, in my view.

Brady is 44, and Rodgers is a head case, not a leader of men. And Watson, well, good luck with that, Cleveland, and all that guaranteed money...

Agree. Mahomes would be the only player that I might think about it but in the end I wouldn't trade Allen for anybody. 

• Like (+1) 1

When just one of those ***** QB's they listed ahead of Allen has a month like Allen did to end the season, they can then get back to me but I won't hold my breath waiting because none of them are capable of a stretch like that.

Allen is the very best the league has to offer at QB.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Brady is still playing at a high level and he is the GOAT. I would replace Watson with Brady. Deshaun hasn't played in a game in a long time either.

Screw Tom Brady.  That is all.

😁

Like I said, it's possible that Watson takes a step back after missing a season. 

But lots of guys miss entire seasons due to serious injuries, and still come back fine.

• Haha (+1) 1

Not having Mahomes in the top 6 doesn't make sense to me. 

To the question of Allen vs Watson.   My biased opinion is to take Josh as the guy you want to lead your franchise and as the better QB.    I think you could make a case either way just as a football player.   The year off for Watson makes some forget his recent greatness.   He finished 2019 leading the playoff comeback against the Bills with some amazing clutch plays in 2nd half and OT and was up 24-0 on the Chiefs before the Texans imploded.     And then he put up MVP level stats on bad team in 2020.     Unnecessary to recap Allen's great play the last 2 years and 2021/22 playoffs for this audience. 

Both have Allen  and Watson played 4 years, with Allen playing 61 games to Watson's 54 games.   Watson only played 7 games his rookie year.   Comparing careers stats

-Total passing yards and passing  TDS are about the same: Watson  14,539 yds and 104 TDs, Allen 14,411 yds and 103 TDs

- Watsons has a truly impressive career Yds / attempt of 8.3 compared to 7.1 for Josh.  And his completion % is better too - 67.8 to Allen's 62.3%

- Allen has the advantage in rushing production 2,325 yards & 31 TDs to 1,677 and and 17TDs for Deshaun.  Both AVG 5.5 yards per carry

On the negative side. 

- Watson has been sacked many more times: sacked 174 for minus 1,050 yards.  Allen only 118 for minus 773.   

- Allen has been more turnover prone with 46 INTs and 21 fumbles compared to 36 INTS and 14 fumbles from Watson. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Success said:

Did anyone see that heated debate on First Take just now? They were debating if Allen is a top 5 QB in the league.  Keyshawn had him behind Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert & Watson.

I actually have issues w/ all of those names being ranked ahead of Allen.  I get the deference for Brady, but would anyone really want him over Allen RIGHT NOW?  Rogers I can understand more.  Herbert has done nothing in the league.  Burrow looks to be very good, but hasn't shown nearly the versatility & clutch play that Allen has (imo).

But Watson?

I don't really get it - not just Keyshawn's take, but a still fairly large group of pundits who can't seem to break away from what they thought of Allen in the draft, or his rookie season.  I get that it's not that important, and in general, prefer it when the Bills are disrespected, but it just seems like I'm living on a different planet than some of these guys.

EDIT:  he also had Mahomes ahead of Allen (which is one I completely get, though I think is closer than most)

Sports talk shows have time to fill.

I just watched the video.  Stephen A. and Marcus both blasted him because of how he was cherry picking specific things about each player at a given time about what he likes about them and saying Allen isn't a top 5 QB right now, because Daboll isn't the OC anymore.

Was really an awful take and seems like he just doesn't like Allen.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

IMO I have less of an issue with Watson than I do with Herbert and Burrow. I'd put Watson above them two.  They may become very good, but so far haven't seen enough.

This.  Watson is a great runner, better than Allen.  He has a great arm, close to Allen.   He's probably behind Allen in field generalship.   Herbert's close; Burrow is a Joe Montana type but can't match Allen and Watson physically, and he's probably behind Herbert, too. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.