Deshaun Watson better than Allen?

Success

So I guess I’m not as cool as everyone else in here and I actually don’t mind watching ESPN. I saw the segment. Personally I think the OP is twisting things a bit here to fit the disrespected narrative…. He leaves out the fact that the other 2 debaters on the show looked at him like he was absolutely crazy. 

I’ll admit I’ve been guilty up to this year of being an overly sensitive bills fan but I havnt seen much of anyone saying Allen isn’t at the very least a top 5 qb. Heck, even  Nick Wright said he may be the 2nd best qb in the league after his playoff run…. And literally nobody has doubled down on Allen slander as much as wright. 

All this being said, for some odd reason Keyshawn has consistently gone out of his way to put Allen down. In 2020 he called him just the “flavor of the month” going into the playoffs and then by mid season this last year he doubled down on that saying he still hadn’t seen enough. He’s an imbecile 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

Did anyone see that heated debate on First Take just now? They were debating if Allen is a top 5 QB in the league.  Keyshawn had him behind Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert & Watson.

I actually have issues w/ all of those names being ranked ahead of Allen.  I get the deference for Brady, but would anyone really want him over Allen RIGHT NOW?  Rogers I can understand more.  Herbert has done nothing in the league.  Burrow looks to be very good, but hasn't shown nearly the versatility & clutch play that Allen has (imo).

But Watson?

I don't really get it - not just Keyshawn's take, but a still fairly large group of pundits who can't seem to break away from what they thought of Allen in the draft, or his rookie season.  I get that it's not that important, and in general, prefer it when the Bills are disrespected, but it just seems like I'm living on a different planet than some of these guys.

EDIT:  he also had Mahomes ahead of Allen (which is one I completely get, though I think is closer than most)

Not to get too deep into this discussion, but Herbert has had 2 tremendous season, Burrow is also a dynamic QB, no reason to criticize them to build up Allen.  Quite a few very good QB's in the league right now, many capable of winning a Super Bowl.

• Agree 1

Just the fact that this is an 8-page thread, arguing that Josh is disrespected by being ranked 6th........which I get, he should be higher.....but as of even two years ago, if anyone told me we would have a bonafide top 6 QB, I woulda been buying rounds. Just saying. Awesome thing to argue!

11 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Not to get too deep into this discussion, but Herbert has had 2 tremendous season, Burrow is also a dynamic QB, no reason to criticize them to build up Allen.  Quite a few very good QB's in the league right now, many capable of winning a Super Bowl.

Definitely agree. No question there's more talented QB's now than it maybe ever has been.

But if you could choose just 1 to lead your offense final drive needing a score to win, which would you pick?

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Its all so subjective, but outside of my fandom, I'd try to put together an objective list that looks like:

Brady

Rodgers

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

The first 3 all have SB victories, so they have an advantage. I've seen lists that have Allen #3 behind Brady and Rodgers.

Allen #1 after this season tho. :thumbsup:

I think that’s a reasonable list.  

Herbert and Watson are both good QB but Herbert its “prove it” and Watson is “show you still got it” after a full year away.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, bourbonboy said:

Just the fact that this is an 8-page thread, arguing that Josh is disrespected by being ranked 6th........which I get, he should be higher.....but as of even two years ago, if anyone told me we would have a bonafide top 6 QB, I woulda been buying rounds. Just saying. Awesome thing to argue!

You can still buy those rounds if you’d like

The ONLY area that Watson gets the edge over Allen, is that the obviously perverse Watson is better at getting happy endings at the local message parlor. It's unlikely that Watson plays much this year anyway. I think it's generally a tossup between Mahomes - Herbert - and Josh. I think Mahomes is the best well rounded player, but here in Buffalo with the conditions, I'd take Josh hands down.    

8 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Herbert hasn’t shown the ability yet to make something out of nothing. He is not athletic enough nor powerful enough to extend plays like Allen does. Just wait if our line is better from week one on, what Allen will do…there will be no more jax games. He will be unstoppable. Just wanted to add that no QB is nfl history has had protection like Tom Brady. It was ridiculous how well he was protected.

I agree with what you have to say.  Regardless of circumstance, Brady has been nothing short of amazing.  I still don’t like home, but show the man some respect. 

I agree completely on Herbert, he’s got the tools and had the flashes than got us all intrigued with JA.  He may not be quite as athletic, but we are splitting hairs on it all., they are top 7 picks in the NFL, they are freaks.   Herbert is far better than I realized from his college days, he came in with far better coaching than Allen, he may be further along in development and maybe he hits a plateau, but at this point he’s the closest thing to Allen there is.  Nothing against him, I just hope he suck’s against the Bills for the next 20 years.

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

One of these guys had the comforts of a dome and a game in Jacksonville every year - and walked in as a rookie with Nuke Hopkins on the team.

The other guy is a winner and his win/loss record and total yards blows the loser and sexual predator away.  

Screenshot_20220412-142435_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-142349_Chrome.jpg

To be fair, one has played 7 more games as well, and on a better team.

Edited by cle23

51 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I agree with what you have to say.  Regardless of circumstance, Brady has been nothing short of amazing.  I still don’t like home, but show the man some respect. 

I agree completely on Herbert, he’s got the tools and had the flashes than got us all intrigued with JA.  He may not be quite as athletic, but we are splitting hairs on it all., they are top 7 picks in the NFL, they are freaks.   Herbert is far better than I realized from his college days, he came in with far better coaching than Allen, he may be further along in development and maybe he hits a plateau, but at this point he’s the closest thing to Allen there is.  Nothing against him, I just hope he suck’s against the Bills for the next 20 years.

The Week 18 game vs the Raiders was as exciting as the Bills/Chiefs game. Herbert was amazing, 4th and 21 with the season on the line and makes the throw. He's got that special something that Allen has. Those 2 will be the best in the AFC with Burrow for years to come.

7 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I mean it's no need to go back through all that. I pretty much agree everything else you stated other than Watson is better running the ball. Again, I'm not saying he isn't a good runner, but Allen is just amazing with some of the things he does running. They both get good yardage when running, but Allen is better making players miss.

yes. the proof is in the pudding. if the eye test doesn't work for you, take a look at the numbers. Whether it be speed, cutting, vision, or desire; Josh produces at a higher level. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.