Buffalo Bills roster - Ascending, descending, shocking, packing

BuffaloBill

16 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Ascending: Rousseau, Basham. I like them both. Gabriel Davis for sure. I think Howard could have his best season yet if he's healthy. We could see a lot of 2 TE formations in '22. Hopefully Spencer Brown will take a huge step this year because he's got a long way to go. He will need help  protecting Allen from our TE's, RB's or FB. That limits our options on offense. Singletary was playing the best ball in his career at season's end. His fumbling wasn't an issue either. He'll never be great, but the biggest problem with our run game was the blocking. Everyone is writing off Moss. He can be a solid #2 if the right side of the OL is upgraded considerably. Both Moss and Singletary payed the price for a weak OL as well as Josh. I think Bass is 1 game winning FG away from greater recognition. Also, Gilliam isn't special, but he's still one of the better FB's in the league.

Stuck in neutral: Oliver, Edmunds. Edmunds has reached his peak. He doesn't have elite instincts and he's a so-so tackler. Oliver is decent, but hasn't shown significant improvement even if a few people talked about him taking a big step last year. Neither is a bust, but they aren't what I was hoping for.

Descending: I am not a fan of Bates or Boettger. They're just OK as backups, but both could be easily replaced. I hope neither one has to play in '22. Dane Jackson will make the roster, but if we add a couple CB's in the draft, he'll be riding the pine nearly all year.

Shocking: No one.

Packing: Ford. He actually played OK last year in limited snaps, but the die has been cast. He will be replaced in the draft on day 1 or 2. Sweeney may get the axe too. Same with Jerry Hughes and that will be a tough one for the fans. After all, he's been here the longest. Haak is gone.

Just intersting that Assending for you is Boogie who did virtually NOTHING for us last year.......while Bates is decending when he literally came in and saved our OL play last year.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:47 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I can't go as far to say Devin is descending...I mean looking at the last 5 or 6 games when they finally got OL better along with finally calling more than 3-5 running plays, Devin was not descending. Better blocking and getting more than 5 opportunities not only improved his play, but Moss's play improved some too.

As for @jwhit34statement, them going after McKissic and eventually getting Duke doesn't necessarily mean it has anything to do with Devin. In fact I would guess it's more likely Moss than Devin if anything.

Those are both 3rd down receiving backs not guys to take carries away.

1 hour ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Great topic!!!

Ascending: Greg Rousseau - I would go with Gabe Davis but he already achieved that through the playoffs. Can't really do much better than that. I will go with Rousseau. Not the most creative but think he or Epenesa will have a huge year opposite of Miller

Descending: Zack Moss - I hope I am wrong but I believe he will rarely see the field during the season. Think there has been hope and trust lost here to put the ball in his hands. Better have a real strong PreSeason.

Shocking: JA - He shocks me every game and how he left things in the playoffs, I see a 15-2 or better record for the Bills mostly due to how many records he just broker in 2022.

Packing: Cody Ford - Definitely the choice here. They just resigned Bobby Hart... Writing is on the wall.

I like you’re list, and agree with it.  Most importantly l, you’re right this is an excellent off season pre draft topic.  As opposed to a separate topic for every draft pick on the planet.

Ascending: Gabriel Davis. Probably too easy to pick this guy, but with nobody else in front of him, I see Davis making the most of the chances that will be given to him.

Descending: Matt Milano. He's still relatively young, but I think he has reached his ceiling.

Shocking: AJ Epenesa. The presence of Von Miller along with Ed Oliver, Greg Rousseau & Tim Settle will help Epenesa into becoming a bigger factor on defense.

Packing: Taiwan Jones. The Bills find someone else younger who can do just as good a job.

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Ascending: Gabriel Davis. Probably too easy to pick this guy, but with nobody else in front of him, I see Davis making the most of the chances that will be given to him.

Descending: Matt Milano. He's still relatively young, but I think he has reached his ceiling.

Shocking: AJ Epenesa. The presence of Von Miller along with Ed Oliver, Greg Rousseau & Tim Settle will help Epenesa into becoming a bigger factor on defense.

Packing: Taiwan Jones. The Bills find someone else younger who can do just as good a job.

With the exception of Davis, these are all pretty bold takes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hey Rock,

Agreed.  Last season Bill Polish does a nighttime show on Late Hits for NFLR.  I think it’s Wednesday nights.  I normally don’t listen at night, but twice he brought up the Bills defense was

markedly different the last two years when Milano was playing, and I agreed with that assertion.

IDK what anyone I seeing with stating he has peaked.  By what metric.  He’s always by the ball and flies out there.  From my perspective, he is one of the more underrated defensive players on the team.  Spotrac had him at $13.75 mil. Before his contract was extended and he accepted $11 mil.

Everyone is the league knows Von Miller, Tre White, and after last year Hyde and Poyer, being voted 1st and 2nd team all pros.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

With the exception of Davis, these are all pretty bold takes.

Yes, I did a lot of thinking about the roster and these were just my takes from this.

I wrote my response without looking at anyone else's picks, and I feel good about who I chose.

Ascending:  Groot! Upgraded talent on the line, plus offseason of pro conditioning he moves up to phenom. Dane Jackson - gets early playing time with Tre not fully back for several games - and the strength of the D line harassing opposing QBs - makes him look real good.

Descending: Moss, Kumerow, Sweeney, Basham…the talent levels at those positions push these guys to many inactives this year.

Shocking: Milano! With upgraded talent on the line - he comes alive to take over several games this year. Look for a strip / sack/ fumble recovery for TD in one of the first couple games. And then in the playoffs!

Packing: Matakevich, Ford and Haak lose position battles in training camp

Ascending: Rousseau.... this guy came out RAW AFFFFFFF. basically redshirted, then was a force, then jump to NFL. This was his third year EVER playing DE (including HS). Dude already showed some wicked flashes. 6f 6' listed at 267. That frame is hand built to pack on fast twitch muscle tissue, adding explosion, and getting quicker.  The biggest physical transformations these guys see is offseason after rookie year.  Went from college buffet, to state of the art diet, and facilities. 10+ sacks, no questions on this one.

Descending: Spencer Brown. He's in for some growing pains (but just for the year).  D Will, was right next to the rookie to help him transition and take the reigns. Bates isnt the veteran presence, and the biggest question mark on the OL. He's going to be asked to do a lot, and I think we see peaks and valleys this year again. I expect more valleys, but he'll come in down the home stretch before playoffs. 

Shocking: Singletary. I woulda laughed at me 12mos ago, but here I am. He looked explosive and PO'd running the rock. His role will be more clear this year, behind a better line w/ more continuity. Contract year baby! Last chance to cash in on a FA contract. I expect him to look a man possessed, with the benefit of best passing game in the league. Will he see 1200yds? NO! But he comes close to 1k, has healthy TD output, and most importantly... makes the most of his limited carries.

Packing: TAKE A SEAT TBD!!! Nobody said it yet, but its time to be realistic. Take a seat. ITS POYER. The only thing to soften the blow, is the sight of them walking away. Why?  Cause its Rachel Poyer!!!!!!!!!  My dad always said, show me a fine a** woman, and ill show you a man that's sick of her s***.  Jordan finally has enough, in his ear about $$$?!?! NO EFFIN WAY!!! Time for Jordan to get his ring, and sign a sweetheart deal to run it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 AND MUTHAWHATTIN 0!!!!!!!! Suck on that 72 Dolphins. Hold the champagne Bobby G, you can cry into an ice cold Labatt Blue YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.