Buffalo Bills roster - Ascending, descending, shocking, packing

BuffaloBill

Ok this is a simple string. We can look back after the end of training camp  but pick your players who fit the following categories:

Ascending: Player who improves significantly - example - moves from depth to starter

Descending: Player who declines significantly - example - moves from starter to depth (stays on the roster but goes to the bench)

Shocking: Can be up or down but the player that ascends or descends dramatically and does so unexpectedly

Packing: Your surprise cut from the roster

My selections are:

Ascending: Dawson Knox - yes, I know he is a starter, but I see him moving into a larger role in the 2022 offense and will have increased targets and yards.

Descending: Ryan Bates - I know he stepped up and the Bills matched his offer but it would not shock me to see that he ends up back on the bench

Shocking: Tough call because the roster is deep and pretty well set - However, opposite Miller I see Groot having a breakout year in a very good way.

Packing: This may be easy but Cody Ford has likely seen his last season in a Bills Uni.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ascending - Gabriel Davis and  Dane Jackson: I hesitate to put Davis here because of the game vs. KC in the playoffs, but he was still WR4 last year and I think he has a 1,000 yard, 8+ TD season. As for Jackson, he filled in pretty well, the Bills seem to like him, has some better physical attributes than Levi Wallace, and although they will probably pick a CB in the first 2-3 rounds of the draft, I think he will win the CB2 job. It is noted often here and elsewhere that year 3 is often the season that a player makes a quantum leap, so I'll guess it's Jackson.

Descending - Devin Singletary: They aggressively went after McKissic and were very disappointed when they didn't get him, then signed Duke Johnson. I think the Bills will pick a RB on day 2 of the draft, I actually think it's going to be round 2 and either Hall, Spiller or Walker. Singletary's touches go down. 

Shocking - Tim Settle: They went after him hard too, and it seemed that many in DC really liked him as a player. Ends up having a better year than Harrison Phillips in Minnesota. 

Packing: Zack Moss - odd man out in the RB room, maybe they trade him, I could see them using him as part of a package to trade up in the draft somewhere in rounds 2-4. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Ok this is a simple string. We can look back after the end of training camp  but pick your players who fit the following categories:

Ascending: Player who improves significantly - example - moves from depth to starter

Descending: Player who declines significantly - example - moves from starter to depth (stays on the roster but goes to the bench)

Shocking: Can be up or down but the player that ascends or descends dramatically and does so unexpectedly

Packing: Your surprise cut from the roster

My selections are:

Ascending: Dawson Knox - yes, I know he is a starter, but I see him moving into a larger role in the 2022 offense and will have increased targets and yards.

Descending: Ryan Bates - I know he stepped up and the Bills matched his offer but it would not shock me to see that he ends up back on the bench

Shocking: Tough call because the roster is deep and pretty well set - However, opposite Miller I see Groot having a breakout year in a very good way.

Packing: This may be easy but Cody Ford has likely seen his last season in a Bills Uni.

Not so sure about Ford.  He's still on his cheap rookie contract and provides a warm body that can fill in at guard or tackle.  Not a good fill-in, for sure, but at least available for emergencies, which is what most backups in the NFL amount to.  Once his rookie contract is over, I agree, he's gone.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I was under the impression Miller would be taking some of Groots reps as he is a left side guy and not so hot on the right side.  This will be an interesting case study on how the Bills use Von through out the year.....

Ascending - Oliver.....the light was coming on for him towards the end of the year.  Methinks Ed will benefit more from Von than anyone else.

Descending - Singletary......for the reasons mentioned already.

Shocking - Gabe Davis.....methinks he is going to really explode this season with Manny gone.....

Packing - almost too easy - Ford.

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Not so sure about Ford.  He's still on his cheap rookie contract and provides a warm body that can fill in at guard or tackle.  Not a good fill-in, for sure, but at least available for emergencies, which is what most backups in the NFL amount to.  Once his rookie contract is over, I agree, he's gone.

Dang - forgot he is still on that rookie deal.......but minimal costs if he is cut.....

Edited by Kwai San

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Realistically the Bills have 8 players ahead of him on the depth chart,making him #9.  I count the Greg Mancz the FA they signed from Miami mainly because he's potentially there backup center, not however counting Hart.  So that leaves Ford at #9, typically the number of players kept on the 53.  But if they draft a FA rookie anywhere in round 4 or higher, then he will be on the 53 and that bumps Ford down and out.

The only way he stays is either due to long term injury so they are now down another body or he beats out Ike B or Bates which isn't that likely.  You yourself have stated, he's not good, but only being kept for cheap contract, but believe Ike B's contract is cheaper.  So think he may be in trouble regardless.

Ascending Gabe Davis, with no Sanders around he'll get a majority of snaps on outside WR opposite Diggs, count on a career year in catches and receiving yards.

Descending-Knox, OJ Howard should get more playing time than our backup TEs got last season and will take away some of the looks/stats Knox got.

Shocking Shaq Lawson will be second on the team in sacks this season behind Von Miller.

Packing Zack Moss, a rookie RB (am hoping Ty Chandler) with more speed and return ability unseats him. 

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Descending - Devin Singletary: They aggressively went after McKissic and were very disappointed when they didn't get him, then signed Duke Johnson. I think the Bills will pick a RB on day 2 of the draft, I actually think it's going to be round 2 and either Hall, Spiller or Walker. Singletary's touches go down

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Descending - Singletary......for the reasons mentioned already

21 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Descending - Devin Singletary

I can't go as far to say Devin is descending...I mean looking at the last 5 or 6 games when they finally got OL better along with finally calling more than 3-5 running plays, Devin was not descending. Better blocking and getting more than 5 opportunities not only improved his play, but Moss's play improved some too.

As for @jwhit34statement, them going after McKissic and eventually getting Duke doesn't necessarily mean it has anything to do with Devin. In fact I would guess it's more likely Moss than Devin if anything.

Ascending: Jamison Crowder. He is a good player and he has an elite QB throwing to him now. I think he'll have his best year as a pro.

Descending: Dane Jackson. While he is a decent player, I think the Bills will bring in a vet and a rookie who will both play above him on the depth chart, relegating Jackson to 4th string once Tre White comes back.

Shocking: Gregory Rousseau. With an elite pass rusher in Miller to account for by defenses, Rousseau will see favorable matchups and have double digit sacks. Ed Oliver should have a great year too.

Packing: Matt Haack. I think the Bills will draft or sign another punter to compete in camp and they will win the job.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I can't go as far to say Devin is descending...I mean looking at the last 5 or 6 games when they finally got OL better along with finally calling more than 3-5 running plays, Devin was not descending. Better blocking and getting more than 5 opportunities not only improved his play, but Moss's play improved some too.

As for @jwhit34statement, them going after McKissic and eventually getting Duke doesn't necessarily mean it has anything to do with Devin. In fact I would guess it's more likely Moss than Devin if anything.

Gabriel Davis started playing more as well at that point...elite run blocker who gives me a lot of Robert Woods vibes...can you imagine Woods playing with Allen his entire career?!

Edited by HardyBoy

Ascending:

Isaiah McKenzie: I believe he has earned the trust of Allen, and with Dorsey as the New OC, he will get more opportunities than he did last season.

Groot Rousseau: We saw flashes of elite play early in the season, and then his production seemed to fall off into what some pundits referred to as a "sophomore slump." With another full training camp, and Von Millar in the house, he will develop into an OC's worst nightmare.

Descending:

Dane Jackson: With the departure of Levi Wallace (due to black and gold shorts...!), it's easy to assume that Beane, and McD have lots of faith in Dane. But, I suspect that there's a plan A, and probably a plan B that don't include Dane as the solid #2 that many assume he will be. I also am of the mind that Tre White will be active week one.

Ike Boettger: I assume he will remain on the team as depth, but I don't believe we will see him as a starter again in '22.

Shocking: 

OJ Howard: I don't think he will surpass Knox. But, I think his athleticism makes him a perfect fit in Buffalo's offense, and we will see some really exciting plays from him.

Von Miller: He just will.

Packing:

Zack Moss: In '20, he was the best running back in pass protection in the league. But, he was underutilized in '21. I have to believe that there are teams out there that would see value in him, and Beane could use him in a trade.

Matt Haack: Just get rid of him already!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.