Which players on defense are you moving on from or releasing?

intimidatortj

40 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Unless he’s an all pro I don’t see how it’s a good investment… gotta find some spots on defense that have to take some hits financially going forward.

Not sure anyone said it was a good investment.  I just think that’s what they’re going to do. Let the season play out and figure out what to do in the offseason.  

4 hours ago, noacls said:

Bye Poyer and Edmunds

If Poyer think he getting some massive guaranteed extension then they should just trade him before the draft.  Anyone suggesting we cannot afford to let him go should watch the last two playoff losses to KC and before that the collapse against Houston.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

In 2023 the Buffalo Bills will have a lot of defensive starters on pretty hefty contracts.
This is going to have an impact on the draft this month.   Beane needs to plan ahead.

Let's assume Beane wants to keep Tremaine and has to pay him $14 million a year, for 2023, 2024 and beyond.

Did you know the Bills Cap Hit for Matt Milano is $13 million in 2023 and $13 million for 2024?
And Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde.   Do you pay them $11 million each, for 2023 and 2024?
Ed Oliver is $10 million a year just for 2023 and will be higher for 2024.
Tre White is costing $ 15-16 million / year.
Von Miller is $18 million and $21 million in 2023 & 2024.

To stay under the Cap long term, you need some starters making $2-3 million a year.  You need some players on rookie contracts.  

Honestly, signing Von Miller has made it almost a certainty some of the above players won't be on the roster/payroll in 2023.

So who would you move on from?  Who do you trade Or let go in Free Agency after 2022?

Can't forget the offense. If you need to release or rework, you can do that with offensive players,too.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with how they play this year in some of those cases.

1. Edmunds - With the revamped DL this year, it could set Edmunds up for his best season yet.  We have more speed, more beef, and better closers in front of him now, that always makes the MLBs job easier.  So what he does this season will be interesting, does he step his game up or is it more of the same?  And the bigger question too is if he does have his best season, what will that do to his price tag if they do want to resign him.  

I don't know which way Beane is leaning for 2023 with regards to Edmunds.........however, if the dline is improved, we could probably get by with a good rookie then.  At a much cheap price.

This draft is going to be interesting as hell.   I feel Beane works really hard and will be prepared.   

46 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

By an estimated 20 mil next year...and that estimate may be conservative.  This year is the post-Covid, pre-new TV Contract, bottleneck year.

It will go up.  Yes.   But Josh's Cap jumps to $39 million and Von Miller's to about $20 million.   You have to keep an eye on Cap all the time.

PS  I know some fans always like to say "you can just restructure so and so's contract".   That is just a temporary one time fix.    Like taking a cash advance on your Visa to make your minimum payment on your MasterCard. 

No reason to panic, but Brandon does need to plan how to balance the Cap in 2023 and 2024, and it starts with the draft this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

5 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

In 2023 the Buffalo Bills will have a lot of defensive starters on pretty hefty contracts.
This is going to have an impact on the draft this month.   Beane needs to plan ahead.

Let's assume Beane wants to keep Tremaine and has to pay him $14 million a year, for 2023, 2024 and beyond.

Did you know the Bills Cap Hit for Matt Milano is $13 million in 2023 and $13 million for 2024?
And Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde.   Do you pay them $11 million each, for 2023 and 2024?

To stay under the Cap long term, you need some starters making $2-3 million a year.  You need some players on rookie contracts.  

Honestly, signing Von Miller has made it almost a certainty some of the above players won't be on the roster/payroll in 2023.

So who would you move on from?  Who do you trade Or let go in Free Agency after 2022?

Move on from Von Miller?  Seriously?  Move on after a few off season weeks?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Well, we cannot move on from Miller, which will go down as one of the worst moves in the Bills franchise, as it will mean we cannot resign some of our very good young players in the coming years. Even when Miller is sitting at home, raking it in.

No one will care when we win the SB this year

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Who said anything about moving on from Von Miller?   He is here for the next 3 years for sure.   After that it is all about his health and performance.  Hopefully he is still productive.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we should resign Klien. I think he is solid. especially against the run. We can save much money letting Edmonds go I would rather spend it on a good CB). but then again, it's not my money. I rewatched several games this year and Edmonds seems to be lost in space. We can draft a Mike this year and let him learn from Klien. Just my thought and it's hard to give up on Edmond but I would not lose too much sleep if they did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eee1776 said:

I think we should resign Klien. I think he is solid. especially against the run. We can save much money letting Edmonds go I would rather spend it on a good CB). but then again, it's not my money. I rewatched several games this year and Edmonds seems to be lost in space. We can draft a Mike this year and let him learn from Klien. Just my thought and it's hard to give up on Edmond but I would not lose too much sleep if they did.

Klien was a solid depth LB and he did make some good plays at times. That ship has probably sailed though. Either way though if for some reason he does happen to come back, I strongly doubt that not only he wouldn't be starting, but also not teaching a rookie either LOL

1 hour ago, intimidatortj said:

It will go up.  Yes.   But Josh's Cap jumps to $39 million and Von Miller's to about $20 million.   You have to keep an eye on Cap all the time.

PS  I know some fans always like to say "you can just restructure so and so's contract".   That is just a temporary one time fix.    Like taking a cash advance on your Visa to make your minimum payment on your MasterCard. 

No reason to panic, but Brandon does need to plan how to balance the Cap in 2023 and 2024, and it starts with the draft this year. 

He knows better than you, don't worry.

3 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

I don't know which way Beane is leaning for 2023 with regards to Edmunds.........however, if the dline is improved, we could probably get by with a good rookie then.  At a much cheap price.

This draft is going to be interesting as hell.   I feel Beane works really hard and will be prepared.   

I don't think anything happens with Edmunds this year.  I seriously doubt they would replace the QB of the defense (and both McD and Beane have praised Edmunds for his play and doing what he is asked to do) with a rookie on a learning not only how to play in the NFL, but also how to dissect plays pre snap and direct the defense accordingly.  

That being said, taking a rookie now to potentially replace him next year is not out of the question.  Just doubt they would take a rookie and then trade Edmunds this year like some have speculated here.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

I will nit pick a little with the statement that we will have a pile of cap space in 2023.   Josh's contract is kicking in, and so is Von Miller's.   Any extra cap space available via the NFL raising the Cap will go poof.   

The Cap will not go up exponential every year.   Right now it is projected to be $220-223 million for 2023.   Josh's hit will be $39 million and Von Miller's $18.7 million.  That is $57.7 million for just those 2 players.

Beane has to mix in some rookie deals to the defense, while keeping as many veterans as possible.

Not 2023, 2024. We're going to be flat next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/

10 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

I believe the Bills have given themselves a  TWO year window (2022 and 2023 seasons) and they will retain all these high paying players.   The purge will happen in 2024 season.   In between, they have to figure out how to pay Edmunds,  Knox, Gabe Davis,   Edmunds, and Ed Oliver.     Those four contracts will put pressure on them to cut at other positions...

I think they will trade Edmunds this draft to get some draft capital back. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The amount of cap they have tied up in the defense is pretty significant… they’ll have some tough decisions. 

My guess is Edmunds, and Poyer are gone after this year…. They’ll have to find some cheaper picks to fill those spots… hopefully they don’t invest high picks in those spots either. 

I like hamlin

at lb maybe quay walker in the middle rounds?

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I believe the Bills have given themselves a  TWO year window (2022 and 2023 seasons) and they will retain all these high paying players.   The purge will happen in 2024 season.   In between, they have to figure out how to pay Edmunds,  Knox, Gabe Davis,   Edmunds, and Ed Oliver.     Those four contracts will put pressure on them to cut at other positions...

I think they will trade Edmunds this draft to get some draft capital back. 

Possibly.  I wonder who they are focused on in the draft at LB.   Maybe Chad Muma?

8 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

If Poyer think he getting some massive guaranteed extension then they should just trade him before the draft.  Anyone suggesting we cannot afford to let him go should watch the last two playoff losses to KC and before that the collapse against Houston.  

What could you get for Poyer ? 

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Why not he hasn’t done anything …

Edmunds for sure. I like Poyer a lot, but I don't know if we can afford him. Oliver is not playing at a top 10 pick level. He and Edmunds are OK, but they can be replaced fairly easily with day 2 picks when their contracts expire. Knox will be Bill for years to come and should be in this conversation as well. Singletary will perhaps move on, but that depends on his price tag.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.