Which players on defense are you moving on from or releasing?

intimidatortj

In 2023 the Buffalo Bills will have a lot of defensive starters on pretty hefty contracts.
This is going to have an impact on the draft this month.   Beane needs to plan ahead.

Let's assume Beane wants to keep Tremaine and has to pay him $14 million a year, for 2023, 2024 and beyond.

Did you know the Bills Cap Hit for Matt Milano is $13 million in 2023 and $13 million for 2024?
And Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde.   Do you pay them $11 million each, for 2023 and 2024?
Ed Oliver is $10 million a year just for 2023 and will be higher for 2024.
Tre White is costing $ 15-16 million / year.
Von Miller is $18 million and $21 million in 2023 & 2024.

To stay under the Cap long term, you need some starters making $2-3 million a year.  You need some players on rookie contracts.  

Honestly, signing Von Miller has made it almost a certainty some of the above players won't be on the roster/payroll in 2023.

So who would you move on from?  Who do you trade Or let go in Free Agency after 2022?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I think Edmunds will be 1 only because of the money he will want being a first round pick the second on your list is Poyer only because he changed agents & Rosenhaus is one greedy mo fo & will get him the cash he is looking for but i don't think it will be from Beane unless there is a compromise & that's not in Rosenhaus vocabulary .

I also think they could draft both of their replacements this year in the draft .

Edited by T master

Using your assumption of an extension for Edmunds, then Oliver is gone.

He is a very good starter but not a great DT. That said he will want to get paid top 10 money. 

You can possibly cut Milano next off-season but that adds dead money they can't afford on their books. Ideal scenario would be to get Milano to take a pay cut. I agreed and liked the deal Beane made for him but Milano was nothing but average last year. Another average year and he will look really expensive.

If I had to choose, I would rid myself of Edmunds and replace him this year and then look at replacing Milano and Poyer in 2023. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4

6 minutes ago, T master said:

I think Edmunds will be 1 only because of the money he will want being a first round pick the second on your list is Poyer only because he changed agents & Rosenhaus is one greedy mo fo & will get him the cash he is looking for but i don't think it will be from Beane unless there is a compromise & that's not in Rosenhaus vocabulary .

I also think they could draft both of their replacements this year in the draft .

This is the way.

Paying the stars obviously leaves little for the rest.  I think the Bills mid tier depth and the special teams aces will have to go and we won’t lose as many of the name players as feared.  This means we keep less talented depth players and will cut better players in favor of younger and cheaper depth

• Like (+1) 1

Saftey.  Imo probably Poyer.  Makes more sense to give the 2 young guys extenstions.  Oliver and Edmunds.  Now I think both have to justify this year.  I think Edmunds is closer to the Bills extending than Oliver is at this point.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, george c said:

The cap grows every year folks. 

And not coincidentally, so do the contracts.

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Saftey.  Imo probably Poyer.  Makes more sense to give the 2 young guys extenstions.  Oliver and Edmunds.  Now I think both have to justify this year.  I think Edmunds is closer to the Bills extending than Oliver is at this point.  

Not so sure about this point. I remember Oliver single-handedly destroying drives last year. When have we ever said that about Edmunds? Oliver is better at 3DT than Edmunds is at MLB.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The cap figures to keep going up significantly each year. Money tomorrow is cheaper than money today.

I think Oliver and Edmunds are gone after this season (or earlier) unless they suddenly become all-pros. I'd very much like to bring Poyer back as I feel he's outperformed Hyde. Next year's cap space probably comes mostly from the projected increase + some restructures and maybe a surprise retirement from someone like Morse. Your only real FA's next year are Poyer, Edmunds and Singletary. I think you can easily keep one, if not two. The following year, we'll have a pile of cap space.

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He is a very good starter but not a great DT. That said he will want to get paid top 10 money. 

You can possibly cut Milano next off-season but that adds dead money they can't afford on their books. Ideal scenario would be to get Milano to take a pay cut. I agreed and liked the deal Beane made for him but Milano was nothing but average last year. Another average year and he will look really expensive.

If I had to choose, I would rid myself of Edmunds and replace him this year and then look at replacing Milano and Poyer in 2023. 

Milano was better than average last year.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, T master said:

Sadly you are probably right about Poyer.  Although, a lot of Bills players have used Rosenhaus and the Bills front office have a somewhat okay relationship with him.

I love Poyer, but drafting a safety early in this year's draft just is smart football.
Also drafting a LB would be smart too.

You have to prepare for the 2023 Cap....you have some big #s from Josh's contract, and Von Miller's and Tre White's......

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

In 2023 the Buffalo Bills will have a lot of defensive starters on pretty hefty contracts.
This is going to have an impact on the draft this month.   Beane needs to plan ahead.

Let's assume Beane wants to keep Tremaine and has to pay him $14 million a year, for 2023, 2024 and beyond.

Did you know the Bills Cap Hit for Matt Milano is $13 million in 2023 and $13 million for 2024?
And Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde.   Do you pay them $11 million each, for 2023 and 2024?
Ed Oliver is $10 million a year just for 2023 and will be higher for 2024.
Tre White is costing $ 15-16 million / year.
Von Miller is $18 million and $21 million in 2023 & 2024.

To stay under the Cap long term, you need some starters making $2-3 million a year.  You need some players on rookie contracts.  

Honestly, signing Von Miller has made it almost a certainty some of the above players won't be on the roster/payroll in 2023.

So who would you move on from?  Who do you trade Or let go in Free Agency after 2022?

Those are all small cap hits... why do you want to get rid of them? 

Hahaha long term Cap space, screw winning a Super Bowl let win the long term Cap space... even though the cap will be going up and those guys are all on good money contracts.

Edited by TBBills

Edmunds is a luxury that they can no longer afford after this year.  

I know that the coaches rave about his coverage skills, and leadership, and blah blah blah.

But we need to pay the guys who MAKE PLAYS. 

Edmunds might get better, but he sure is going to get more expensive

Let's get what we can from him on the field this year, but let's not be rolling out the checkbook for him unless he suddenly becomes a Top 3 MLB with the stats to back up that status.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't think getting rid of Milano, the single player who puts 100% into bringing the "SMACK" each play while not missing gaps/assignments is a good idea. Just my opinion.

Edited by BuffaloTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The cap figures to keep going up significantly each year. Money tomorrow is cheaper than money today.

I think Oliver and Edmunds are gone after this season (or earlier) unless they suddenly become all-pros. I'd very much like to bring Poyer back as I feel he's outperformed Hyde. Next year's cap space probably comes mostly from the projected increase + some restructures and maybe a surprise retirement from someone like Morse. Your only real FA's next year are Poyer, Edmunds and Singletary. I think you can easily keep one, if not two.

The following year, we'll have a pile of cap space.

I will nit pick a little with the statement that we will have a pile of cap space in 2023.   Josh's contract is kicking in, and so is Von Miller's.   Any extra cap space available via the NFL raising the Cap will go poof.   

The Cap will not go up exponential every year.   Right now it is projected to be $220-223 million for 2023.   Josh's hit will be $39 million and Von Miller's $18.7 million.  That is $57.7 million for just those 2 players.

Beane has to mix in some rookie deals to the defense, while keeping as many veterans as possible.

• Disagree 2

4 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I can't believe you are all still talking about the cap after being so wrong this season, thinking all these players were gone and they couldn't sign anyone.

If Beane has proven one thing, it’s that if he truly values the player he’ll find a way to get a contract done.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.