Have you ever seen one of your teams go all the way?

BillsPride12

On 4/13/2022 at 6:49 PM, muppy said:

I beg to differ though. If you are located in a city that earned a championship I think some of the buzz has to rub off...even if just a little right? Not to bandwagon their glory but just to enjoy it with them.  Unless I hated the other team for some reason .  I know what you mean it wasn't Your team so I do get it. It sounds like fun though. 🙂 minus the car flipping and shenanigans like that anyway

Nope I live in Houston and when the Rockets and Astros won I could care less to be quite honest with you. 

I was at the Bandits championship game at the Aud in 1993 when they won it at home (their 2nd championship in a row). I remember when Kilgour scored the game winning goal for Buffalo. The Aud went absolutely crazy! The whole building was shaking. I remember the whole ride home we were cheering and yelling and beeping our horn and anyone we saw 😂

I was also there when the Buffalo Stampede (roller hockey) won the championship in their first (and only) season.

I was there for the Bandits 1996 championship win too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2022 at 3:19 PM, Nextmanup said:

I was born and raised in WNY, and am first and foremost a Bills/Sabres fan for life.

But I was also raised a Red Sox fan, which was convenient as we never had a MLB team in Buffalo.

So yes, I've seen both extremes.  The feeling that we are cursed and can never win, followed by the realization that yes we can win.

I've mentioned this before in similar threads, but I was forever changed as a Red Sox fan in 2004 with that first World Series victory (in modern times!).  

It is now IMPOSSIBLE for me to get upset or frustrated over the Sox.  I'm at 100% at peace with the whole thing, as we (Red Sox) got our victory (and then a bunch more) and no one is ever taking it away.

If/when the Bills win a Super Bowl, a LOT of Bills fans will be changed forever.  It won't be "life or death" anymore, and you won't be nearly as emotionally involved in the team.

It's good and bad.

Same with the Red Sox. I live in northeast CT but my mum’s side was / is from WNY so I’m a Bills & (casual) Sabres fan.

I had just gotten (back?) into watching baseball after graduating from the U and 2004 was just an AMAZING postseason for Boston. I was not nearly as invested as folks who had suffered through so much sports heartbreak. So for me that was a yay rah rah / woohoo experience rather than weepy tears of joy. The other World Series championships since have been great too, but yeah, they are less emotional. When I hear the replay of Joe Buck’s call of “CAN… you BELIEVE it!??” that’s pure nostalgia now. And almost 20 years ago itself, now. Wow. It feels like that just happened.

Otherwise, UConn has any number of college basketball 🏀 national championships, women’s more than men’s. TBH I have watched the women’s far more than the men’s games over the years. I sat right next to Sue Bird and like half the women’s team in a French culture gen-ed class in their perfect year of 2000. So that was cool. Again, just a woohoo experience. My mum worked at the U and would watch a lot of the womens’ games with a neighbor down the street, and they have now both passed from cancer, and I like to think they’re still watching from above, so I now sometimes get a bit 🥹 when I think of that.

How would / will I react at a Bills SB win? I have no idea. It’s probably going to run the whole gamut of emotions. Been a fan since 1990 started with watching the SB XXV with my older brother who introduced me into it and made me a Bills fan too, which was only reinforced when I eventually did summers at the family farm in WNY helping hay etc. and would watch preseason with cousins up there. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2022 at 7:11 AM, BillsPride12 said:

Obviously 99% of us were brought here by the Buffalo Bills and we are all waiting for that one....but I also know we have a lot of different people here with different backgrounds and hometowns and people have other teams they follow.  So have you ever seen one of your teams win the hardware?  Feel free to share any interesting stories that go along with the experience.

As for me I am a pure born and raised WNYer so my true teams are the Bills and Sabres...so I am still waiting for the big ones.  I do like Syracuse in the NCAA so technically them winning in 2003 was one of my teams but it didn't bring me to tears or anything, I was just really fired up.  I was also really into the Chicago Bulls in the 90s and claim them as a team but they were already great when I got into them so I have a hard time counting their titles as well.

1964 and 1965 Buffalo Bills

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all about the Bills and Sabres...so no sweet taste of victory there.  Before they sailed to San Diego, the Buffalo Braves were my #1 sports priority.  Obviously, that didn't work out. 

I take a lot of ***** for it, but I adopted the Celtics as my team in the NBA. I loved the game, and we were suddenly without a team. I tried for a year to be a Clippers fan.  I never get to see a game, they were never on in Buffalo...my only way of following them was reading the box-scores.  Even with that, as they were a west-coast team, their scores didn't appear for two days, if at all.  During the 1980 season, my cheap father, for some reason, decided to spring for cable tv.  We got the Boston super-station.  I had to choose between two teams I had never liked, prior to that.  The Celtics or the Knicks.  They were both on cable tv frequently. 

It was 1980, so yeah, I went with the front-running Larry Bird and the Celtics. 

While it isnt't quite the thrill I imagine a Bills or Sabres championship would be, but I have never regretted it, despite their up and down history over the last 30 years.  The Celts have given me 4 championship teams to root for, in real time.  2008 was a thrill... high hopes for the 2021-22 Celtics...off to a thrilling start!

I was a huge Blue Jays fan back in the 80's and 90's. I was at a World Series game both years they were in. I will never, ever forget both times they won the WS. Joe Carter was playing first when he caught the ball for the final out in 92, and of course the HR in 93 to beat Philly. Then I moved to California and fell in love with the A's. The Blue Jays still have a place inside my heart, but now I bleed (baseball wise) green and gold. 

Grew up a Sabres fan, but also became a Hurricanes fan after I moved to NC.  Started going to Hurricanes games when they moved here - coincided with my kids being born and we went to games with them from the time they were babies.  Became a big family thing - and me and my kids went to Game 7 when they won the cup in '06.  My kids were 8 years old - I kept telling them "Don't ever forget this - Game 7 for The Cup!" 😛  Never experienced a sporting event like that game - entire crowd stood the entire game and the tension was crazy.   

I had always rooted for all three local college teams while I lived here, but became a big UNC fan once my daughter went there 6 years ago - so celebrated their championship as well.

7 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Grew up a Sabres fan, but also became a Hurricanes fan after I moved to NC.  Started going to Hurricanes games when they moved here - coincided with my kids being born and we went to games with them from the time they were babies.  Became a big family thing - and me and my kids went to Game 7 when they won the cup in '06.  My kids were 8 years old - I kept telling them "Don't ever forget this - Game 7 for The Cup!" 😛  Never experienced a sporting event like that game - entire crowd stood the entire game and the tension was crazy.   

I had always rooted for all three local college teams while I lived here, but became a big UNC fan once my daughter went there 6 years ago - so celebrated their championship as well.

sick jim carrey GIF

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yup.  When we moved to SoCal in 1983 I became and Angels fan.  Mainly because when I was a kid i was an A's fan and then in college a Yankees fan.  Reggie was my favorite so I logically became an Angels fan seeing he was on the team in 1983.  I would listen to the games on the radio in the car when they were so bad the crowds were so small you could hear the one guy in the stand eating peanuts through the radio.  It was bad, they were bad but it was baseball and they were "my team"! 

Fast forward to 2002 when they went all the way.  The wife and I were downstairs watching game 7 on TV.  When Troy Percival was brought in to close out the game for the series I had to go upstairs to listen to the local radio homers call the final out.  I'm so glad I got to hear them call in instead of the national TV broadcast It was ***** great!!  

EDIT:  As many of you know I've given up on sports so when (not if but when) the Bills or the Sabres win it all I will not have followed them from start to finish that year....whenever it may be.  

Edited by Chef Jim

On 4/17/2022 at 9:28 AM, BillsFan4 said:

I was at the Bandits championship game at the Aud in 1993 when they won it at home (their 2nd championship in a row). I remember when Kilgour scored the game winning goal for Buffalo. The Aud went absolutely crazy! The whole building was shaking. I remember the whole ride home we were cheering and yelling and beeping our horn and anyone we saw 😂

I was also there when the Buffalo Stampede (roller hockey) won the championship in their first (and only) season.

I was there for the Bandits 1996 championship win too.

I have been lucky enough to see all 3 Bandits championships won at home (93,96,08). I was a young'n for the 93 win up in the oranges in the corner, same seats but much more aware of the situation. I was randomly asked if I wanted to go to the 08 championship game. 3 rows up from the field! Such a great experience and I can find myself in the official championship photo!

Other than that Bills and Sabres fan, and we all know that story.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.