Have you ever seen one of your teams go all the way?

BillsPride12

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm an Oakland A's fan and was able to enjoy the 1989 season but 1988 and 1990 moreso the latter hurt badly.  I also was a Rickey Henderson fan and was glad to see him win another championship in 1993. 

We have something in common. Both of our teams got buzz-sawed in 1988 by the Dodgers. Mets looked like they were back to '86 form and had crushed the Dodgers all year. A's were easily the best team in the AL. A's/Mets would have been the matchup of the two best teams but the Dodgers had other plans. 

Not to pour salt in old wounds but the Gibson HR against Eck was stunning. Gibson got the Mets on a ridiculous catch in the rain in LF when he was stumbling and falling down. And for your Gibson/Eck we had a stunning Scioscia/Gooden HR in the 9th - it flipped the series.  As much as you and I were tortured that was a great run by the Dodgers and why I love sports

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

We have something in common. Both of our teams got buzz-sawed in 1988 by the Dodgers. Mets looked like they were back to '86 form and had crushed the Dodgers all year. A's were easily the best team in the AL. A's/Mets would have been the matchup of the two best teams but the Dodgers had other plans. 

Not to pour salt in old wounds but the Gibson HR against Eck was stunning. Gibson got the Mets on a ridiculous catch in the rain in LF when he was stumbling and falling down. And for your Gibson/Eck we had a stunning Scioscia/Gooden HR in the 9th - it flipped the series.  As much as you and I were tortured that was a great run by the Dodgers and why I love sports

Hershiser was just on fire that season. Losing game 1 with Gibson's HR definitely helped the Dodgers for sure. 

Never one of my teams, but I’ll never forget some girls from High School!   :)

Wait, the 1980 US Olympic hockey team. I’ll claim them, as most of us would. Does that count? It’s the best I got……

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Hershiser was just on fire that season. Losing game 1 with Gibson's HR definitely helped the Dodgers for sure. 

As I recall, it was Hershisher's dominance (I think he had a 50+ inning scoreless streak in season), a few soul crushing moments from Gibson and an at best average player named Hatcher (Mickey?) having the post season of his life.   

NFL: Bills Nope

NHL: Sabres Nope

MLB: Orioles, I remember 1970 and 1983

NBA: No favorite team since the Braves left

NCAABB: Syracuse 2003 

NCAAFB: I like Navy, Virginia Tech, SU and Notre Dame...Notre Dame and SU have won national championships in my lifetime but I'm not as emotional invested like I am for Bills, Sabres, Orioles.

• Like (+1) 1

The first time I experienced one of my teams winning it all was in 1989 when Michigan won the College Basketball championship. I had never been so thrilled before.

Next day at school I was wearing my Michigan shirt with pride. Nobody could touch me that day.

I do not count Michigan's split national championship in football in 1997 as a win for me.

The stupid coaches only gave it to Nebraska because Tom Osborne was retiring.

Had a lot of frustration in baseball with the Giants. Getting swept by the A's in the earthquake series, then Dusty Baker making a terrible pitching decision in the 2002 series against the Angels.

That all went away when the Giants not only won one World Series, but three of them in 2010, 2012 & 2014.

Loved all of them.

The Bills winning a Super Bowl of course would be the most exciting thing for me as a fan.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/12/2022 at 12:28 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'd count 2005 Sox... But that don't count.  Displaced persons @ new home don't count.  

I beg to differ though. If you are located in a city that earned a championship I think some of the buzz has to rub off...even if just a little right? Not to bandwagon their glory but just to enjoy it with them.  Unless I hated the other team for some reason .  I know what you mean it wasn't Your team so I do get it. It sounds like fun though. 🙂 minus the car flipping and shenanigans like that anyway

Edited by muppy

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That was the Chicago Bulls in 1990s... 😏 

I hate when that chit happens. I see it on TV I think hooligans off my block losers. But I DO like Chicago to visit just sayin' 🙂 My fav is the stained glass museum at navy Pier with the mosaics..............AWESOME.

• Agree 1

On 4/12/2022 at 7:11 AM, BillsPride12 said:

Obviously 99% of us were brought here by the Buffalo Bills and we are all waiting for that one....but I also know we have a lot of different people here with different backgrounds and hometowns and people have other teams they follow.  So have you ever seen one of your teams win the hardware?  Feel free to share any interesting stories that go along with the experience.

As for me I am a pure born and raised WNYer so my true teams are the Bills and Sabres...so I am still waiting for the big ones.  I do like Syracuse in the NCAA so technically them winning in 2003 was one of my teams but it didn't bring me to tears or anything, I was just really fired up.  I was also really into the Chicago Bulls in the 90s and claim them as a team but they were already great when I got into them so I have a hard time counting their titles as well.

Well, there was this one time when two varsity cheerleaders and myself...

17 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So it was, my mistake.

Yeah, I remember that series.  Really good series, a near mishap with children (bat-people) standing in the baseline / near home plate, really good pitching, Bonds raking that year, etc.  It was also that year that I asked myself if the Red Sox would ever make it.  2003 was another heartbreaker, but 2004 more than delivered the goods.  2005 was the miraculous ChiSox squad.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:34 PM, SinceThe70s said:

It's also the root of my deep hatred for the Dodgers.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/12/2022 at 7:58 PM, May Day 10 said:

Nope.  Bills, Sabres, Indians.  Plenty of traumatic losses to last 10 lifetimes 

Yeap, I am a fan of those three and a fan of the Knicks too, so its been rough since the 90's lol. 4 Super Bowl loses, 1 Stanly Cup loss, 2 NBA Championships lost, 3 World Series losses, and many heartbreaking playoff losses

• Sad 1

The Rochester Knighthawks won a few NLL championships but there was a 3 year run from 2012 thru 2014 that were the most exciting. Especially in 2012 when they were 7-9 but do to opponent scheduling conflicts were able to host all the games. I watched all from the seneca niagara suite, had a blast. Trailed 5-0 in the championship game, the feeling was similar to the Houston comeback game. Lacrosse may not be huge in this country but it was an international title.

Oh, I'm a huge Duke fan since my big brother went there in the late 60's/earl 70's. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.