Have you ever seen one of your teams go all the way?

BillsPride12

Sadly I haven't gotten the chance to experience that glory yet either. I was always just a 2 sport fan only for so many years. Only football and basketball were my things. Always Buffalo Bills and NBA it was Charlotte Hornets. Always more an Bills die hard than Hornets though. Then 2002 ( I think) Hornets moved to New Orleans and became Pelicans.

After that I lost interest and was just Bills. So hopefully can experience what it feels like this upcoming season if Bills can bring one home

Celtics with Pierce, Garnett, and Allen. Love that team.

Watching the Bills assemble this team is like watching the Celtics assemble that championship team. 

But honestly, I don't care about them winning a trophy. I watched the Celtics play amazing basketball for years and now I'm watching the Bills play amazing football. That's the only thing that's in it for me. I don't get a trophy.

1 hour ago, Tony P said:

Our seats for the '91 season were 7 rows above the Twins dugout along the 3rd base line. Game 7 (Jack Morris vs John Smoltz) is recognized as one of the greatest WS games ever. Morris was absolutely incredible tossing a 10 inning shutout for the win. 

I'll never forget it.

This is amazing.  Best World Series ever, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

I was born and raised in WNY, and am first and foremost a Bills/Sabres fan for life.

But I was also raised a Red Sox fan, which was convenient as we never had a MLB team in Buffalo.

So yes, I've seen both extremes.  The feeling that we are cursed and can never win, followed by the realization that yes we can win.

I've mentioned this before in similar threads, but I was forever changed as a Red Sox fan in 2004 with that first World Series victory (in modern times!).  

It is now IMPOSSIBLE for me to get upset or frustrated over the Sox.  I'm at 100% at peace with the whole thing, as we (Red Sox) got our victory (and then a bunch more) and no one is ever taking it away.

If/when the Bills win a Super Bowl, a LOT of Bills fans will be changed forever.  It won't be "life or death" anymore, and you won't be nearly as emotionally involved in the team.

It's good and bad.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I was born and raised in WNY, and am first and foremost a Bills/Sabres fan for life.

But I was also raised a Red Sox fan, which was convenient as we never had a MLB team in Buffalo.

So yes, I've seen both extremes.  The feeling that we are cursed and can never win, followed by the realization that yes we can win.

I've mentioned this before in similar threads, but I was forever changed as a Red Sox fan in 2004 with that first World Series victory (in modern times!).  

It is now IMPOSSIBLE for me to get upset or frustrated over the Sox.  I'm at 100% at peace with the whole thing, as we (Red Sox) got our victory (and then a bunch more) and no one is ever taking it away.

If/when the Bills win a Super Bowl, a LOT of Bills fans will be changed forever.  It won't be "life or death" anymore, and you won't be nearly as emotionally involved in the team.

It's good and bad.

The celebrating and parade in WNY would be legendary if they do win one. I will drive up from NJ just to be there. I would imagine Bills fans all over will get to WNY for that one as well.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The celebrating and parade in WNY would be legendary if they do win one. I will drive up from NJ just to be there. I would imagine Bills fans all over will get to WNY for that one as well.

I haven't lived in WNY for over 20 years, but my sister and her family, mom, and MANY great old friends are still there.  I have said for YEARS that if the Bills or Sabres ever win a championship, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me not to fly up for the celebrations from FL.  

Would be positively epic!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Red Sox.  So pleased.  However, it's Bills or bust for me at this point in life / in this point of this franchise.

Have to think McDermott's seat gets warm if they don't at least make the Super Bowl. They have spent a lot of money this offseason. The signing of Von Miller is a "final piece" kind of move. Its obvious the Bills are all in this year. The media both local/national as well as the expectations from the fanbase will be off the charts. Pressure to win it all is definitely there as just making the playoffs or winning the division isn't enough anymore.

Fighting Irish is hubbys alma matre and hence I am a domer fan much like he a Bills fan...aka best to just go with the flow and not make waves and root for spouses teams.

1988 for me was the most memorable National Championship Win. I gave birth to our son on 11/26 true story . Notre Dame was ranked #1 and they beat the #2 ranked and arch rival USC on that day. They then won the national title beating W Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl the next game.

Im in my hospital room recovering and he is stifling his Yells of glee lol It was pretty funny in retrospect

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

Rickey was an artist at the plate and on the bases.

The art of drawing a walk is gone from the game.  Other than the obvious HR records that fell to the steroid era, another less-heralded record was also "beaten," ... Henderson's bases on balls record.  Bonds (on paper) is now the leader.  That is a goddamn shame.

I agree Rickey drew walks where pitchers gave Barry "juiced" Bonds walks to avoid home runs. That said those great A's teams were helped with juiced Canseco and McGwire so I can't complain too much. Yet Rickey to me one of the top 5 OFers of all time. As I doubt we ever see someone steal 100 bases in a season again and he did it 3x, his career SB record won't ever get touched either. Then you throw in his walks and runs he likely be unmatched.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree Rickey drew walks where pitchers gave Barry "juiced" Bonds walks to avoid home runs. That said those great A's teams were helped with juiced Canseco and McGwire so I can't complain too much. Yet Rickey to me one of the top 5 OFers of all time. As he I doubt we ever see someone steal 100 bases in a season again and he did it 3x, his career SB record won't ever get touched either. Then you throw in his walks and runs he likely be unmatched.

He was a joy to watch.  I miss players like him ... a lot.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Have to think McDermott's seat gets warm if they don't at least make the Super Bowl. They have spent a lot of money this offseason. The signing of Von Miller is a "final piece" kind of move. Its obvious the Bills are all in this year. The media both local/national as well as the expectations from the fanbase will be off the charts. Pressure to win it all is definitely there as just making the playoffs or winning the division isn't enough anymore.

I'm meh about McD, and I said it a few times leading into the offseason.  On one hand, he's not a clown (Gregggg, Mularkey, Chan, etc), but maybe he's not good enough.  It's a quandary, because we've all seen this play out, multiply, over myriad Bills' seasons.

This season is king, and I can't wait for it to play out.

Of course a Bills, Bandits, and Sabres fan. Lived in the SF bay area for 17 years and attended Arena Football games in San Jose.  Got to see two San Jose Sabrecats championship games. Had season tickets (were only $14/ticket/game)

• Like (+1) 1

1969 Mets - sort of. I have a vague recollection of watching the Mets score on a black and white TV and then going outside to play. I was aware that they won the WS that year, but that's my only memory. 

Islanders dynasty. But I think most of the games were on cable stations we didn't have so not a lot of memories - except for riding Ranger fans mercilessly.

1986 Mets.  

Remind me again why I love watching sports and getting disappointed on an annual basis. The good news is the Islanders have been competitive the past few years, the Mets finally have an owner with deep pockets and most of all: Josh and the current Bills regime gives me a lot of hope!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.