Jack White: The Rolling Stones Copied The Beatles

Gugny

1 minute ago, Rico said:

I love MSG, but I would’ve rather seen them somewhere smaller.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on a White Stripes arena show.  Jack White is on an arena tour now and there's not a chance in hell I buy those tickets.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on a White Stripes arena show.  Jack White is on an arena tour now and there's not a chance in hell I buy those tickets.

Hate to say it, but I never seriously checked out Raconteurs or his solo stuff, jumped off the bus after Icky Thump.

7 hours ago, Buftex said:

Nothing the Beatles did excites me more than the Stones from 1968-1972.  For me (and I realize this is all personal), "Beggar's Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Get Your Ya-Ya's Out", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile On Main Street" is about as great as it gets.  That period of Stones music especially is kind of template for everything I love about rock-n' roll. 

They may not have ever been the studio masters that the Beatles (and George Martin) were, but their music during that period was just so authentic... their brilliance can't be denied.  There had been other great  white, British blues acts before, but the Stones were the first ones to perfect the formula, and make it sound like it was coming from them...not just respectfully copying a sound. It wasn't stylized. They were living it.  True art.  Not easy to pull off, especially since it was all sounds and styles that had been around for decades.  

I can argue that the Beatles (1962-1970), and possibly David Bowie (1969-1980), had longer streaks of excellence than the Stones...but for me, neither ever matches the inspiration of those 5 years of Stones records.  The Stones stuff that came before it (the Brian Jones era) and their albums from "Goats Head Soup" through "Some Girls" were only a notch below that truly golden-era.  They will always have a slight edge over the rest, for me...no matter how long they stick around past their prime.  

Amazing that adding a real guitarist to the mix made this a gold point. Mick Taylor years were the best but I really like everything,,, that ended with Some Girls. Never listened to much after that one... the brand was crap imo.

7 minutes ago, T&C said:

Amazing that adding a real guitarist to the mix made this a gold point. Mick Taylor years were the best but I really like everything,,, that ended with Some Girls. Never listened to much after that one... the brand was crap imo.

From 1969 onward, I tend to judge the Stones by the shows more than the albums, and I think 1981-82 was the last great tour.

33 minutes ago, Rico said:

From 1969 onward, I tend to judge the Stones by the shows more than the albums, and I think 1981-82 was the last great tour.

If you went to all the shows kudo's man. 

I'm one of the few on the planet that can't stand exiled on main st.... I have an excellent original on lp and an import copy on CD. Never jived with me.

46 minutes ago, T&C said:

If you went to all the shows kudo's man. 

I'm one of the few on the planet that can't stand exiled on main st.... I have an excellent original on lp and an import copy on CD. Never jived with me.

I wish....I've got most of the circulating shows from that era in flacs. 1st Stones show for me was the Aud in 75, then Rich when they came back last show of the tour, then Chicago 78, Rich 81, Louisville 81, Chicago 2 81. Whole bunch of Vegas-era shows, last one was Beacon 2 in 2006 as seen in Scorsese's Shine A Light (face was $25, VERY lucky to score that one.

I didn't care for Exile when it first came out (as a kid), but I do think it is the greatest rock album ever, it's deep man! Not my fav Stones though (Black and Blue), nor my fav album (Never Mind The Bollocks).

Edited by Rico

On 4/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, Rico said:

Whole lot more than just one song.

Actually I'd rank this among McCartney's finest solo/Wings work.  

Because it's forgettable

god he made some awful dreck

I'm more of a Who/Kinks/other guy, but both bands had some good songs/'eras'.  I never got a sense of much similarity between the two, other than following similar American trends, and looking back at the whole of the 60's, the Beatles were kind of the McDonalds of 60's rock and the Stones were a bit more Flame Broiled. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, T&C said:

Taylor was a fantastic guitarist, no doubt... but personally, I don't think that is necessarily adding a better guitar player into the mix was the only thing that made that such a great period for the Stones.  Brian Jones and Keith weren't exactly slouches either...though I realize Keith wasn't as technically gifted. Ronnie Wood is really underrated.  Jagger/Richards songwriting in those years was, miraculously (given Keiths' state) sharp during that period.  You didn't always know what they were singing, but you knew exactly what they meant.  Has there ever been a nastier song than this:

The Rolling Stones - Monkey Man (Official Lyric Video) - YouTube.url

Edited by Buftex

10 hours ago, stuvian said:

Jack White has never had an original thought or tune in his life

A lot of it seems that way, but I gotta admit I found 'Fell in Love With a Girl' ***** thrilling when it first dropped.  It was total Kinks, 'You Really Got Me', but it was the closest I'll probably ever get to hearing something like that Kinks bomb-drop in my lifetime. 

On 4/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, Gugny said:

I don't know anyone who likes that song .. including me and I'm a huge Beatles/Macca fan!  It's horrible!

I like it. For the life of me I don't understand the vitriol. It's an innocuous Xmas song. Like most Xmas songs I look forward to hearing it every December, but not a song I have any use for any other month. 

On 4/11/2022 at 2:56 PM, Gugny said:

"People want The Rolling Stones to be cool, dirty, raucous. They don’t want to understand that The Rolling Stones were chasing a hit constantly and feeding off whatever the hippest thing was, copying whatever The Beatles did last week," he explained. “That disrupts the fantasy. And the fantasy’s amazing – I have indulged many times with those kinds of bands. That’s not an insult. That’s them being smart and figuring out a way to keep a train moving.”

https://www.iheart.com/content/2022-04-10-jack-white-accuses-the-rolling-stones-of-copying-the-beatles/?mid=835631&rid=99009473&sc=email&pname=newsletter&cid=NATIONAL&keyid=National iHeart Daily Classic Rock [Combo #2]&campid=headline2_readmore

@Rico

I'm sorry, this is thread worthy how? A band of teenagers wanted to be rich and famous? Oh, the horror!!!!!

For me I prefer the Rolling Stones over the Beatles. To me the Beatles were overrated. Yes they were talented and produced good music but they weren't around very long. What was it 1964-70 or something like that? Bands like the Stones, Who, Dead, Floyd had more of an impact on classic rock. IMHO.

On 4/11/2022 at 2:56 PM, Gugny said:

"People want The Rolling Stones to be cool, dirty, raucous. They don’t want to understand that The Rolling Stones were chasing a hit constantly and feeding off whatever the hippest thing was, copying whatever The Beatles did last week," he explained. “That disrupts the fantasy. And the fantasy’s amazing – I have indulged many times with those kinds of bands. That’s not an insult. That’s them being smart and figuring out a way to keep a train moving.”

https://www.iheart.com/content/2022-04-10-jack-white-accuses-the-rolling-stones-of-copying-the-beatles/?mid=835631&rid=99009473&sc=email&pname=newsletter&cid=NATIONAL&keyid=National iHeart Daily Classic Rock [Combo #2]&campid=headline2_readmore

@Rico

On 4/11/2022 at 2:58 PM, TBBills said:

That is absolutely true they were obsessed with the Beatles and how popular they were. 

Agree.   The Beatles themselves started out as simply a band seeking commercial success, and the Stones started out in the mid-Sixties as just another British Invasion Beatles imitator band seeking commercial success like Herman's Hermits or Jerry and the Pacemakers.  The Stones matured like the Beatles did, but they were followers of trends rather than creative geniuses ala the Beatles led by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.