Next NFL Team Dominos.

BillsfaninSB

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Soccer style relegation? 

Interesting.

Develop a 10-12 team minor league, similar to the old NFL Europe. This gives developmental players -- who have something to offer the NFL but aren't ready for prime time yet, like Kurt Warner and Fred Jackson -- an opportunity to refine their skills and get live game reps.

Then, as you said, if a team has, say five consecutive losing seasons or their record is below a certain threshold, they get relegated, and the winningest team over that time frame from the minors is promoted.

Certainly a pretty crazy thing to imagine. The Jacksonville Jaguars getting sent down to the minors while the Birmingham Dragons (or whatever) get called up. 

Never paid attention to soccer except women's soccer in Olympics.

I was thinking how CFL expanded to US temporarily but NFL Europe is good way to look at it without the good beer.

The teams would need to be viable in terms of stadiums being able to host NFL games.

There would be some contract relief for teams being moved to minor and team being raised would have expansion picks with certain number having to come from team being reallocated to minor.

NFLPA would also need to be on board but I think they would once they saw this as way to develop players and allow older players to keep on playing.

I was thinking of 12 team league consisting of 3 conferences - East, Central and West.

I think the Bengals may be in some danger of relocating.  They are heading toward a perfect storm of an expiring lease and Mike Brown being 86 years old without any other major cash in the family besides NFL-related as far as I know.  

Jacksonville is always in danger depending on Khan's endgame if he wants it in London.  Or I wonder if he just has right of refusal and will give up Jacksonville for the London franchise if its the same thing.

We will have 2 expansion teams within 5 years. IMO, London will get a team.  I also think we will see one of San Antonio or Orlando.  I also think the NFL is going to really try to aggressively get another foothold in Europe.  I assume they would be interested in getting into Canada before long too whether its Toronto, Vancouver, and/or Montreal. I wouldnt count out St Louis or San Diego either.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

LA just isn't that great of a football market. Didn't matter who the Rams and Chargers played at home the visiting team had a lot of their fans at the game. When the Bills play there next year it will be a sea of blue in the stadium. I also could see the Chargers moving as they really don't have any support there. Maybe they end up back in SD.

Whaddya mean LA isn't that great of a football market?  Didn't you see the SB parade, where dozens and dozens of fans straggled in next to the street where the Rams were parading?

Obviously I'm being sarcastic.  People warned for years that LA simply has too many other options for entertainment or participation.  

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I won't be satisfied until we put a team on the moon!  

Elon Musk has entered the conversation.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I think the Bengals may be in some danger of relocating.  They are heading toward a perfect storm of an expiring lease and Mike Brown being 86 years old without any other major cash in the family besides NFL-related as far as I know.  

Jacksonville is always in danger depending on Khan's endgame if he wants it in London.  Or I wonder if he just has right of refusal and will give up Jacksonville for the London franchise if its the same thing.

We will have 2 expansion teams within 5 years. IMO, London will get a team.  I also think we will see one of San Antonio or Orlando.  I also think the NFL is going to really try to aggressively get another foothold in Europe.  I assume they would be interested in getting into Canada before long too whether its Toronto, Vancouver, and/or Montreal. I wouldnt count out St Louis or San Diego either.  

There is a 0% chance that Vancouver or Montreal ever get an NFL franchise. Vancouver is way too close to Seattle and makes up a massive share of their ticket sales and merchandise sales. It’s very similar to what Toronto has with the Bills. Montreal is a great hockey market, but proved it’s lack of value in supporting other major league sports with the Expos. I’m not sure if Canadian expansion is something we will see in our lifetime. Every person on this board should hope the Toronto never sniffs an NFL franchise. That’s a lot of money coming in to Buffalo every Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

LA just isn't that great of a football market. Didn't matter who the Rams and Chargers played at home the visiting team had a lot of their fans at the game. When the Bills play there next year it will be a sea of blue in the stadium. I also could see the Chargers moving as they really don't have any support there. Maybe they end up back in SD.

It will be a long time before the Chargers meet their contractual commitments regarding the new stadium in LA.  They're not going anywhere for quite a while.

5 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Bold Predictions.

• Chargers will move again.
  • Brady will play until he's 50.
  • Belicheat will get caught cheating again.

4 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

Yeah, I could see the Chargers moving again.  Weird to think so, because they're one of the up-and-coming franchises.  It's usually the sucktastic clubs that get moved.

St. Louis will never sniff another franchise.

Why would the Chargers move out of that new stadium their owner didn't have to pay to build?  And why would the other owners vote to let them move out of that stadium?

4 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

BARFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PLEASE NO. Im already at a point ill never forgive Goodell, so not like he can make things worse for his legacy I guess

Goodell has nothing much to do with decisions regarding moving or expanding.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MPL said:

Here's a bold prediction...

The NFL and the USFL will form a Premier League style alliance and every year, the worst NFL teams will get demoted to the USFL and the best USFL teams will get promoted to the NFL. 

I think it is truly bold to predict that a billionaire would agree to put 2+ billion dollars of franchise value on the line when their 4 best players get hurt, forget about just having a bad team. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

San Antonio makes the most sense to me by a large margin since their closest competition is 3 hours away. Orlando does not work because I live in a suburb of Orlando and I drove to Lightning arena yesterday in an hour and 15 minutes. Not to mention Jax is 2.5 hours north and Miami is 3 south. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

It will be a long time before the Chargers meet their contractual commitments regarding the new stadium in LA.  They're not going anywhere for quite a while.

Unless of course the sue the owner of the Rams for deception like city of St Louis did.

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Established pattern of behavior resurfaces and he gets caught in the act 

really wouldnt take anything near as shocking to set that sequence off.  could see a girl baiting him into a 1 night stand, with an unsavory story afterwards. could be motivated by money grab, or a girl po'd hes back in the league, or both. hes gunna have a target on his back in that regard 100%

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think 36 by 2036. Personally I oppose expansion but I do think it happens. 

You are right it is going to happen, but there are already a bunch of, shall we say, not good teams, consisting of not good players, so who the heck is going to be playing on these new teams? Yes I already know the answer, more not very good players, oh well…,

• Like (+1) 1

One of my favorite topics.....

The NFL will NOT expand anytime soon.

The reason why is TV dollars.  

TV Ratings for NFL football games is pretty much the same in NFL markets as it is in NON NFL Markets.  The NFL has reached a point where adding teams does NOT ADD TV Viewers....so if you are one of 32 NFL owners...you have zero incentive to split the same TV contract money with more owners...it's a 32 piece pie right  now...the pie doesn't get bigger with more teams....no reason to split the same pie with 34 or 36 or 40 owners.

The same 32 owners are interested in expanding TV viewership in markets outside the US.  There are a few ways they could do that without expansion.

As mentioned..move an existing team...or two, to new markets outside the US....Jacksonville being the obvious one, to move to London.  There are quite a few legal hurdles to making that happen...not as simple as just moving the team...but if they could work that out...you get a ton more new TV eyes and money....and split with the same 32 clubs.  You might move a team to Mexico city or to Toronto and pick up some more TV dollars that way...but they'd probably be good with simply Jax to London....and NO domestic expansion.  Moving a team from one town to another is less likely now that teams can't point to LA is this vast open market...teams will be compelled to stay where they are....in general..saw some posts about Washington to Virgina...KC from Missouri to Kansas...those aren't "moves" they would still be in the exact same markets they are already in.

....the other thing mentioned that will never happen...agian for money reason....is having the USFL or XFL be some league where you relagate the two bottom teams to the XFL/USFL...and bring up the top teams....HA!  NFL franchises are worth 4 billion dollars...those guys aren't going to be "relagated" that system in the EPL came from a pre TV dollar, pre big money era and doesn't work now.  the NFL would never consider it.

....and if you wanted to encourage competing, and discourage tanking.....all you need to do is reverse the draft order starting at pick 18.  18 is the BEST team that missed the playoffs...have that team draft first...and then 17, go 2nd and so on..so that the worst team ends up with the 18th pick.  You have every reason to go for it to the end because your reward for trying hard is the first pick.  Tanking gets you nothing.....want a higher pick?  Try and make the playoffs!  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Logic said:

The next big push will be for an international team. Jacksonville Jaguars becoming the London somethings seems most likely.

Personally, I wish the NFL would stop expanding. Stop adding regular season games, stop adding playoff games, stop adding teams.

Unfortunately they’ve never heard the phrase “don’t fix what ain’t broken” or read the story of Icarus, so they’re just gonna keep pushing, growing, changing, and expanding in the name of increased profits, regardless of how it waters down or eventually ruins their product over time.

I bet fans said this every time teams and games got added. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.