Julian Lennon and Nuno Bettencourt Do "IMAGINE"

Gugny

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's too funny.  I was just thinking of Nuno Bettencourt for the first time in years the other day.

We saw him as part of the Generation Axe tour back in 2018.  STEVE VAI, ZAKK WYLDE, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, NUMO BETTENCOURT & TOSIN ABASI were all on the bill. 

Zakk Wylde was easily our favorite.  Nuno was a close second.  He is a phenomenal guitarist and very cool dude.

53 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Still most overrated Lennon tune

I mean, its a good song but I really don't need to hear it more than a couple of time a year. The other day I picked up the John Lennon collection on cd for a buck. Not going to turn it down for that price but there are 3 songs on it that I can listen to. Shaved Fish was a much better comp imo.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

We saw him as part of the Generation Axe tour back in 2018.  STEVE VAI, ZAKK WYLDE, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, NUMO BETTENCOURT & TOSIN ABASI were all on the bill. 

Zakk Wylde was easily our favorite.  Nuno was a close second.  He is a phenomenal guitarist and very cool dude.

Good ranking.  Vai and Malmsteen, while technically being excellent guitarists, just have no feel to their playing (I don't know Abasi).

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good ranking.  Vai and Malmsteen, while technically being excellent guitarists, just have no feel to their playing (I don't know Abasi).

Vai bored us to death.  Yes ... he's amazing.  But zero feel, as you said.  Yngwie is like a caricature of the most self-absorbed 80s rock guitarist who ever lived.  The entire crowd sat down and figuratively yawned during his set.  Abasi is amazing (plays an 8-string guitar) and played with lots of emotion/was very engaging.  But it was more of an appreciation for something unique and incredible set; not something anyone went crazy over.

This was an arena (Albany Palace Theater) that holds less than 3K, but still spacious with a nice balcony (where my son and I sat).  Zakk Wylde did War Pigs and for the solo, he walked around the entire arena .. down every aisle and up/down every staircase ... soloing; most of it with his guitar behind his head.  We had aisle seats so he was close enough to touch.  He stole the show.

Nuno's solo set was acoustic.  He was very interactive with the crowd and very talkative.  Super nice guy.  And man, did he put on a clinic.

The show culminated with all of them coming out and doing an instrumental version of Bohemian Rhapsody.  Fantastic.

Was a great show and we will see it again if they come around.  Highly recommend. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Still most overrated Lennon tune

It's a great song with a beautiful message.  Overplayed?  Sure.  Overrated?  Not sure how one comes to that conclusion.  It's got great lyrics, the music was well written, vocals were fantastic, it makes most people with a functional brain actually think.  Everything a great song should have, no?  

5 hours ago, T&C said:

I mean, its a good song but I really don't need to hear it more than a couple of time a year. The other day I picked up the John Lennon collection on cd for a buck. Not going to turn it down for that price but there are 3 songs on it that I can listen to. Shaved Fish was a much better comp imo.

Yep.  Nothing I'd want to listen to every day.  I have never been a big Lennon solo fan, but I do like a lot of it.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's a great song with a beautiful message.  Overplayed?  Sure.  Overrated?  Not sure how one comes to that conclusion.  It's got great lyrics, the music was well written, vocals were fantastic, it makes most people with a functional brain actually think.  Everything a great song should have, no?  

Yep.  Nothing I'd want to listen to every day.  I have never been a big Lennon solo fan, but I do like a lot of it.

I like lyrics that make you think a bit, and actually mean something. SO MANY songs from Yes or The Who, etc you look at the lyrics and need an interpreter.  You would be at a loss, because it sounded cool, but made NO sense whatsoever. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I like lyrics that make you think a bit, and actually mean something. SO MANY songs from Yes or The Who, etc you look at the lyrics and need an interpreter.  You would be at a loss, because it sounded cool, but made NO sense whatsoever. 

Yes songs make no sense. The Who’s lyrics are sometimes confusing because it’s a cultural thing. 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:54 PM, Gugny said:

Plastic ono band was better than imagine 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.