If LB Devin Lloyd is available at Pick 25......

Special K

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Remember he drafted him. I'd say he isn't the most objective person evaluating Edmunds. Beane can talk him up all he wants and deflect the negative criticism as well. I mean do you expect him to say he hasn't performed at the level that we expected especially for a 1st round pick. We are hoping he can make more big plays and improve his football instincts. Of course not. The only thing he can do is to "talk him up"  for trade capitol or to justify his draft choice. 

I've yet to see him go to bat for a player and then trade him (or not re-sign him).  If he does with Edmunds then that's something new I'll learn about Beane.  Right now I'm just going off his track record.

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I've yet to see him go to bat for a player and then trade him (or not re-sign him).  If he does with Edmunds then that's something new I'll learn about Beane.  Right now I'm just going off his track record.

That's fair and I agree. How Edmunds plays this year will go a long way on whether he remains a Bill.  Imho, I'm hoping for an upgrade. I'd be ecstatic if the Bills could get a 2nd round pick for him. Sometimes it's hard to see your own mistakes and cut ties before it's too late. It took them a long long time with Star. Beane and Coach McD pounded the table for him on numerous occasions. Look at AJ Epenesa a second round draft choice. He has 2.5 sacks in 2 years as a Bill. Why is he even on the team? Beane obviously isn't always correct. His biggest accomplishment is swinging for Allen and hitting a grand slam! As a fan, I think it's ok to criticize and praise Bills' management. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's fair and I agree. How Edmunds plays this year will go a long way on whether he remains a Bill.  Imho, I'm hoping for an upgrade. I'd be ecstatic if the Bills could get a 2nd round pick for him. Sometimes it's hard to see your own mistakes and cut ties before it's too late. It took them a long long time with Star. Beane and Coach McD pounded the table for him on numerous occasions. Look at AJ Epenesa a second round draft choice. He has 2.5 sacks in 2 years as a Bill. Why is he even on the team? Beane obviously isn't always correct. His biggest accomplishment is swinging for Allen and hitting a grand slam! As a fan, I think it's ok to criticize and praise Bills' management. 

Beane's made plenty of mistakes.  I'm not arguing that. Trading up for Cody Ford being his biggest thus far and they had no problem relegating him to a backup role last season.  A competent GM (which I think Beane is) should be well aware of not letting his own personal ego/biases impact his personnel decisions.  If it wasn't for the unforeseen opt out season Star was able to take advantage of I don't think he's on the team last season given his contract.  Hell, they cut him this year and ate up all that dead cap.  Epenesa is on the team because he's on a cheap rookie deal and it takes some players longer to develop.  Ask Beane if he regrets trading Wyatt Teller right before his second season.

The point is based off his comments made after this season his track record points to him re-signing Edmunds.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The point is based off his comments made after this season his track record points to him re-signing Edmunds.  

His combine comments do. But his post-season presser, as alluded to above, were more circumspect. When you are talking about a 1st round draft pick "getting better in year 5" and talking about areas he needs to be better that is not exactly effusive praise. A couple of things could be going on. One that did occur to me was whether Tremaine was one of those who failed to execute at the end in KC? Maybe there was emotion in Beane still when for the first, and basically only, time he seemed not to be all in on Edmunds going forward. 

It will tell a story though if he plays on the option. You never have a player you are all in on play on the 5th year option. If the Bills are still all in on Edmunds as their guy (which is what Beane suggested at the Combine) then they will extend him this summer. If he plays on the option they are at least open to the idea he is gone after 2022. 

I don't, however, give much credence to the idea they will trade him this spring / summer. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His combine comments do. But his post-season presser, as alluded to above, were more circumspect. When you are talking about a 1st round draft pick "getting better in year 5" and talking about areas he needs to be better that is not exactly effusive praise. A couple of things could be going on. One that did occur to me was whether Tremaine was one of those who failed to execute at the end in KC? Maybe there was emotion in Beane still when for the first, and basically only, time he seemed not to be all in on Edmunds going forward. 

It will tell a story though if he plays on the option. You never have a player you are all in on play on the 5th year option. If the Bills are still all in on Edmunds as their guy (which is what Beane suggested at the Combine) then they will extend him this summer. If he plays on the option they are at least open to the idea he is gone after 2022. 

I don't, however, give much credence to the idea they will trade him this spring / summer. 

I agree with this.  I think it's more likely than not they extend him before this season as I do agree that having a player play on a 5th year option means they're not sold on that player.  They resigned T. White and Allen before their 5th year option kicked in.  They didn't pick up Lawson's.  If they don't re-sign him before next off-season than they may play the see what you can find elsewhere and let us match it card.  I just think the extension is more likely than not based off everything I've heard from McDermott and Beane thus far. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree with this.  I think it's more likely than not they extend him before this season as I do agree that having a player play on a 5th year option means they're not sold on that player.  They resigned T. White and Allen before their 5th year option kicked in.  They didn't pick up Lawson's.  If they don't re-sign him before next off-season than they may play the see what you can find elsewhere and let us match it card.  I just think the extension is more likely than not based off everything I've heard from McDermott and Beane thus far. 

See a year ago I was convinced they would extend him this offseason. Now I lean slightly towards them letting him play out the option and re-visit next spring. If they do that it does not mean he definitely isn't back in 2023. It just means they are at least willing to countenance the possibility. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See a year ago I was convinced they would extend him this offseason. Now I lean slightly towards them letting him play out the option and re-visit next spring. If they do that it does not mean he definitely isn't back in 2023. It just means they are at least willing to countenance the possibility. 

It's entirely possible they want to see him play behind what should be the best line's he's seen thus far in his career this season.  Even if it means squandering a chance to trade him this off-season.  They see themselves as a Super Bowl team and I doubt they take the chance of relying on a rookie at such an important position on their defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's entirely possible they want to see him play behind what should be the best line's he's seen thus far in his career this season.  Even if it means squandering a chance to trade him this off-season.  They see themselves as a Super Bowl team and I doubt they take the chance of relying on a rookie at such an important position on their defense.

Exactly this. I don't think they're completely closed off from the idea of moving on from him. Especially knowing what it will probably cost them. But it won't come this offseason. 

Regardless of how anyone feels about his production (personally, I'm a bit more in his corner than most around here) - they realize that he is the signal caller of the #1 Defense statistically in the NFL. They're not going to make such a massive change and hope that a Rookie will do it just as well, right now.

I also think they're a bit sympathetic to the amount that's on his plate. People need to keep in mind that this Defense generally utilizes only 2 LB's instead of the normal 3 in a 4-3 or even 4 in a 3-4. This significantly widens the gaps and creates a much larger margin for error.

Beane's already said he's going to let this season play out before any extension talk. I think they also feel that a lot of his less than stellar play is compounded by a lack of pass rush and consistent average to below average play opposite Ed Oliver at DT in front of him.

I don't think it's a coincidence they brought in Edmunds' DT from Virginia Tech in Tim Settle. I believe they think he will improve with the additions they made on the Line. I don't think it makes much sense to let him go before they see if the investments pay dividends for him.

Long story short - the pitchfork crowd needs to face reality and come to grips with at least one more season. They're not going to risk entrusting a Rookie to take over such an important role and mess with the continuity at the core of their top Defense, the year we're Super Bowl favorites.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Watched the Kiper/McShay mock draft last night....Lloyd was available at pick 25 but they had the Bills select Andrew Booth CB Clemson....if the Bills pass on Lloyd at 25 for Booth, that would not be a “Beane” move, IMO.

Lloyd ended up going at pick 31 to the Bengals....no way he lasts that long!

On 4/11/2022 at 9:12 AM, NewEra said:

Looking through this thread, I don’t see  much bashing.

Here is the gist of many TSW members vs 49 as I see it:  His contract is coming to an end and the majority of the board agreed that his ability on the field isn’t worth what his market value will be.  Paying him big bucks could screw us in the long run as he’s just not a playmaker at the position. 

personally,  I’d be ok giving him the same contract as Milano.  I think he’s an ok LB. His problem imo:  lack of big plays.  We hear that it’s because I of the scheme and I’m sure that part of that is true….but the other part is his lack of decisiveness imo.  His processing isn’t fast enough and that’s why he doesn’t make the splash plays other LBs make.  God blessed him with freaky athleticism and length and he seems to have gotten by on that to this point. His mental acuity regarding the game hasn’t progressed as we had hoped.

jmo. 

If he has freakish length  and speed why has the brain trust consistently put him in space hoping he sniffs out well designed underneath crossers.He makes plenty of tackles in the run game and runs down backs and QB runs. Put this man in pressure packages and let him use his assets.

12 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

If he has freakish length  and speed why has the brain trust consistently put him in space hoping he sniffs out well designed underneath crossers.He makes plenty of tackles in the run game and runs down backs and QB runs. Put this man in pressure packages and let him use his assets.

When I rewatch the games I try to pay attention to edmunds when he blitz’s.  From my experience, he has zero pass rush moves, bend and only tends to get pressure when he gets the step on his man or sneaks in behind a stunt. I think he’s the worst guy to have get after the QB.  I think he’s best when using his size/length as a possible deterrent in the pass game, even if  he doesn’t deter the best QBs.  Maybe he’s working on some pass rush moves this offseason…..because he has zilch in that dept imo.  Just size, speed and length.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

Love the Tree, but the issue is the big contract.   No big plays.

I was thinking that Popeye couldn't have been that enamored with the D.  Replaced just about the entire veteran D Line and broke the Bank on #40.   

Let Levi (and Harrison) leave for not that much $$.

The defense will have new faces next year.   TE just doesn't make many impact plays, and none behind the los

Edited by CNYfan

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

When I rewatch the games I try to pay attention to edmunds when he blitz’s.  From my experience, he has zero pass rush moves, bend and only tends to get pressure when he gets the step on his man or sneaks in behind a stunt. I think he’s the worst guy to have get after the QB.  I think he’s best when using his size/length as a possible deterrent in the pass game, even if  he doesn’t deter the best QBs.  Maybe he’s working on some pass rush moves this offseason…..because he has zilch in that dept imo.  Just size, speed and length.  

That's exactly my point. He's got average ball skills and they never developed him as a blitzer, where he could impact a game. With his speed and length you would think he could block some throws or get some sacks. He sometimes struggles when they give him difficult matchups in coverage. In any case, with a better D-line and the motivation of being in a contract year, I look for him to have a great season. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m torn because even though I like Lloyd and think Edmunds is our weakest starter therefore want no part of any extension

1) I don’t value the position very much to use that high of a pick on and…

2) I like some players who could be had later (Beavers, Anderson, Rose)

how is he against the pass? His highlights were great but mostly run stops. 

Also, is Edmunds the Ristolainen of the Bills? Trade him while he’s still young!

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley

If he is head and shoulders the BPA then I would take him or trade out of the pick. It’s highly unlikely he will be there at 25, but if he is it would likely be easy for the bills to trade out.

if, on the other hand, they see a CB, WR or interior OL at or near the same level, I would go in that direction. I think much of this will depend on how many quarterbacks go before their pick 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.