If LB Devin Lloyd is available at Pick 25......

Special K

2 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

Trading Tremaine Edmunds.

Who wants him?   Who wants to pay him his pretty high one year salary.  And then risk not resigning him?    It isn't always feasible to do a "sign and trade".  And I don't think anyone has done that during the 3 days of the draft.  Not impossible, but it would be a challenge. 

I do find LB Troy Anderson an interesting possibility at pick 57.  The guy flies to ball...he is smart and is good sized at 6'4".   I would have no problems drafting him in the 2nd round.   And if something strange happens and he is still on the board in the 3rd, I would move up to get him.

Edmunds has a market he has made it to a pro bowl he is still under 25 he has started a lot of games he is an above average player. We can’t pay everybody like some people on this board think we can. You can manipulate the cap but sooner or later you just have to get cheaper contracts. A first round linebacker in theory should play as good as Edmunds day one. More money to sign Gilmore he is a better player that Edmonds.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HailMary said:

As good as Lloyd is, could be disruptive move for team chemistry. 

Team chemistry would be fine.  This is a vet-laden team, especially on defense.   The players know the window they're in right now and that everybody can't be paid.   IMO, they would embrace a guy like Lloyd, even if they'd miss Edmunds as a teammate.    

Edited by Shake_My_Head
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Edmunds is gonna shock a lot of you this year. Now that we got some serious beef on the defensive line, its going to free him up. Star was supposed to be that guy who took on multiple blockers, allowing Edmunds to shoot gaps. Unfortunately the Star experiment failed, but I have a feeling the Settle, Jones, Phillips combo will be lethal. With that said, I can definitely see the Bills draft his replacement this year. Sadly, we cant keep everybody, no matter how many spells Beane learns.

1 minute ago, ONEandDONE said:

Edmunds is gonna shock a lot of you this year. Now that we got some serious beef on the defensive line, its going to free him up. Star was supposed to be that guy who took on multiple blockers, allowing Edmunds to shoot gaps. Unfortunately the Star experiment failed, but I have a feeling the Settle, Jones, Phillips combo will be lethal. With that said, I can definitely see the Bills draft his replacement this year. Sadly, we cant keep everybody, no matter how many spells Beane learns.

Well, it would certainly be a shock to me if Edmunds learns how to read and react properly to inside running plays.   

I watch him closely because I can't believe a guy with his experience routinely choses the wrong hole to plug, or takes incorrect angles on running plays.  It's like 50/50 that he hits the right hole, which is not good enough for the kind of dollars he'll be paid next year.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s played 4 seasons…..age should not be a factor anymore imo.  His best season was year 2, when he was 20.  Experience hasn’t done much for him. 

i hope that you’re right and that he’s does break out.  The DL additions should certainly help.  

Fair enough. So we could all probably admit that Bobby Wagner has been the best MLB for the better part of the last 5 years, maybe longer. Bobby Wagner's first four seasons in the NFL he had 478 tackles, 9.5 sacks and 5 interceptions. All while playing with the "Legion of Boom". Tremaine Edmunds first four seasons he has 463 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 4 interceptions. I'm just saying I don't think he's as tradeable as a lot of us think.

Edited by Santana

13 minutes ago, ONEandDONE said:

I have no doubt Edmunds will "shoot gaps." Will it be the right gap? 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

Edmunds has a market he has made it to a pro bowl he is still under 25 he has started a lot of games he is an above average player. We can’t pay everybody like some people on this board think we can. You can manipulate the cap but sooner or later you just have to get cheaper contracts. A first round linebacker in theory should play as good as Edmunds day one. More money to sign Gilmore he is a better player that Edmonds.

I totally understand Edmunds contract would be expensive.   I am on team dump him.

I just don't know what team is going to buy into trading for him....knowing they are going to have to give him a big 4-5 year contract.

I would LOVE if the Bills traded him today.   Or tomorrow.    I just think it would be difficult.     (UNLESS we trade him to move up 10 spots in the draft)

10 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Well, it would certainly be a shock to me if Edmunds learns how to read and react properly to inside running plays.   

I watch him closely because I can't believe a guy with his experience routinely choses the wrong hole to plug, or takes incorrect angles on running plays.  It's like 50/50 that he hits the right hole, which is not good enough for the kind of dollars he'll be paid next year.

Agree 100%. In the last few years, how many positive big plays had he made? Often you don't even know he's on the field. The Bills need to improve the position. He's clearly not worth the money he's asking. 

I'd be alright with the move and i don't even dislike edmunds that much.  The 5th year option and extension etc.  are just so expensive for a player that isn't a huge playmaker.  He does his job more often than not, his length does show up more when you look outside of just plays where he's targeted, and hes a fine tackler for the most part.  But i don't think I'd pay him to be near top5  at his position.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I don't know one reporter who doesn't believe that the Bills LOVE Edmunds and will do everything possible to sign him longterm. I personally believe there is a much greater chance Poyer is traded for his replacement than Edmunds. 

Listening to Beane, it sure sounds like he does not have any interest in trading Edmunds.

We will see on Poyer.   IF there is a team out there that wants to trade for a safety in his thirties, and that is the piece they need, than maybe.

PS  I thought some team would want to sign Cole Beasley.   So far I am wrong about that.   Maybe after the draft, for a lower contract?

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree 100%. In the last few years, how many positive big plays had he made? Often you don't even know he's on the field. The Bills need to improve the position. He's clearly not worth the money he's asking. 

To answer your question:  how many positive big plays had he made?

Not many.

But, Beane seems to love the guy.

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

The biggest plays he makes are when they don't throw to the middle of the field because of the 6'5 guy covering their TE etc.  That double clutch causes a sack or a pressure, or forces a throw into coverage, or just generally an incompletion.  It doesn't pop - but the team has basically the #1 3rd down defense since he joined the org - on a majority cover 2/3/4 zone team.  That's a lot of grass for a dude to cover.  

Just now, intimidatortj said:

Listening to Beane, it sure sounds like he does not have any interest in trading Edmunds.

We will see on Poyer.   IF there is a team out there that wants to trade for a safety in his thirties, and that is the piece they need, than maybe.

PS  I thought some team would want to sign Cole Beasley.   So far I am wrong about that.   Maybe after the draft, for a lower contract?

To answer your question:  how many positive big plays had he made?

Not many.

But, Beane seems to love the guy.

Most teams have spent what they planned to spend pre-draft.  After the draft you re-assess and thats when remaining free agents will get looks.  

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I have no doubt Edmunds will "shoot gaps." Will it be the right gap? 

McDermott runs a single gap system, which focuses heavily on quick penetration by the defensive line to disrupt the offense. The linebackers have gap responsibilities dependent on the formation, they don't get to choose their own gaps lol.

18 minutes ago, Santana said:

Fair enough. So we could all probably admit that Bobby Wagner has been the best MLB for the better part of the last 5 years, maybe longer. Bobby Wagner's first four seasons in the NFL he had 478 tackles, 9.5 sacks and 5 interceptions. All while playing with the "Legion of Boom". Tremaine Edmunds first four seasons he has 463 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 4 interceptions. I'm just saying I don't think he's as tradeable as a lot of us think.

Also from years 5 through 10 Bobby Wagner has been to the pro bowl every year and has been an All-Pro every year except last year. Not saying he's the same caliber or player. But the similarities are worth noting.

36 minutes ago, ONEandDONE said:

Edmunds shooting gaps?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

It does seem that coaches and teammates see more in Edmonds than most fans do (though that could be coach-speak).  But I think the big issue is his contract.  13 million is a lot to pay for a one year rental and for that amount teams would want an impact player (like an edge).  Not sure teams would give up a 2nd or even a 3rd in this scenario.  

In my scenario, I was assuming the team that traded for him would sign him to a long term contract, therefore they might be willing to part with a 2nd.

10 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Moving on from Edmunds is similar to the idea being floated that the team move on from Jordan Poyer.

In each case there are a lot of people here who aren't considering the impact that trading away a respected team leader would have on the locker room.

FWIW, Edmunds is a team captain and a guy the Bills traded up to pick in the 1st round. He's been an exemplary teammate, doing everything expected and asked of him within his powers.

If the Bills are so coldly calculating as to trade away a respected veteran leader for the promise of a rookie, isn't that risky in terms of the locker room ripple effect?

Only problems is….. Edmunds isn’t as good as people think he is. It’s his last season with us and he will likely get a contract worth more than $15/y and he’s just not worth that much. You trade him while you can and get something for him to soften the blow. 

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I like Lloyd a lot.

But I don't think you make a rookie your signal-caller in a year where you really think you're going for the Super Bowl.

Easy answer, you resign Poyer and Hyde to add a few years on each contract with the money you save from Edmunds. You have one of them call the defense since they are incredibly smart and have an overview of the entire field from the S position, until your rookie LB catches on. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.