If LB Devin Lloyd is available at Pick 25......

Special K

8 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I would pass on the trade and just draft Lloyd in the 1st, WR/RB in the 2nd and CB in the 3rd and Bob's your uncle. No need to trade away your defensive signal caller in the middle of a superbowl window, I'd rather just get a comp pick. 

Finally someone making sense of this. Thanks! We're all in this year for a SB run. Why trust a rookie to come in and be the QB of this defense this year. A top ranked defense. Draft him, if he's available. If he unseats Edmunds, great. But if the rookie flops and we traded Edmunds away, then what? Milano would not be able to make up for the loss. it just amazes me that some here want to get rid of him and trust a rookie. I'm glad it's Beane running the show and not the sentiment on TBD.

8 hours ago, Vickveto said:

Edmunds replacement will probably be drafted in the first round and Edmunds will probably be traded on draft day. We can’t keep everybody. We use premium picks on premium positions and middle linebacker is a premium position to us.

Brace for impact. Edmunds will more than likely be traded on draft day. And it might be Troy Anderson or Quay Walker at 25

You're ok trusting a rookie to be the QB of the defense, when we don't have to trade Edmunds to pick up either of your choices?

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Santana said:

What is the infatuation with trading Tremaine Edmunds? I don't understand the constant bashing of him as if he's the worst LB in the NFL. Can someone explain to me why they think he's so awful.

Looking through this thread, I don’t see  much bashing.

Here is the gist of many TSW members vs 49 as I see it:  His contract is coming to an end and the majority of the board agreed that his ability on the field isn’t worth what his market value will be.  Paying him big bucks could screw us in the long run as he’s just not a playmaker at the position. 

personally,  I’d be ok giving him the same contract as Milano.  I think he’s an ok LB. His problem imo:  lack of big plays.  We hear that it’s because I of the scheme and I’m sure that part of that is true….but the other part is his lack of decisiveness imo.  His processing isn’t fast enough and that’s why he doesn’t make the splash plays other LBs make.  God blessed him with freaky athleticism and length and he seems to have gotten by on that to this point. His mental acuity regarding the game hasn’t progressed as we had hoped.

jmo. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Santana said:

What is the infatuation with trading Tremaine Edmunds? I don't understand the constant bashing of him as if he's the worst LB in the NFL. Can someone explain to me why they think he's so awful.

Star is gone. No more whipping boys left.

8 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I would pass on the trade and just draft Lloyd in the 1st, WR/RB in the 2nd and CB in the 3rd and Bob's your uncle. No need to trade away your defensive signal caller in the middle of a superbowl window, I'd rather just get a comp pick. 

But we’ll be replacing our defensive signal caller in the middle of a super bowl window if we just get a comp pick after this season.  The window will be open.  Some would suggest that if he’s gone after this season regardless. why not replace him now and get his replacement up to speed for the next 5 year super bowl window. 

If there’s a 3rd round offer on the table for him, I’d pull the trigger 💯 becssue we don’t know if we’ll be eligible for comp picks.  We might lose him and sign someone of equal caliber. Get your guaranteed pick for him if you can imo.  

• Disagree 1

It does seem that coaches and teammates see more in Edmonds than most fans do (though that could be coach-speak).  But I think the big issue is his contract.  13 million is a lot to pay for a one year rental and for that amount teams would want an impact player (like an edge).  Not sure teams would give up a 2nd or even a 3rd in this scenario.  

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Looking through this thread, I don’t seem much bashing.

Here is the gist of many TSW members vs 49 as I see it:  His contract is coming to an end and the majority of the board agreed that his ability on the field isn’t worth what his market value will be.  Paying him big bucks could screw us in the long run as he’s just not a playmaker at the position. 

personally,  I’d be ok giving him the same contract as Milano.  I think he’s an ok LB. His problem imo:  lack of big plays.  We hear that it’s because I of the scheme and I’m sure that part of that is true….but the other part is his lack of decisiveness imo.  His processing isn’t fast enough and that’s why he doesn’t make the splash plays other LBs make.  God blessed him with freaky athleticism and length and he seems to have gotten by on that to this point. His mental acuity regarding the game hasn’t progressed as we had hoped.

jmo. 

Thanks for your input and insight I appreciate it. Yeah there's not too much bashing on this thread but it's a pretty common reoccurring theme on here and other platforms as well. I get it, he has things to work on. Every NFL player has things to work on, especially a 23yr old MLB. I think he'll actually put it all together this year and be more decisive and play more downhill. Often nowadays, it seems as though we all expect players to come in and be stars in years 1 and 2. Some do and some take a few years. He's so young and he's been starting since he was 19yrs old. He's still 2 years younger than Joe Burrow. 

9 hours ago, Special K said:

Would you select him, and trade Edmunds to a team with a top 15 Second Round Pick??

I know there are a lot of what-ifs in this scenario, but if the draft did fall this way, and a team with a top 15 second round pick was interested in trading for Edmunds...I would pull the trigger immediately on this.

Although I do not hate Edmunds as much as many on this board, I am certainly not a fan of giving him a huge contract extension either.

Lloyd is a beast of a LB, and could easily end up being better than Edmunds quite quickly, plus he would be on a cheaper rookie contract for the next 5 years.

I would use the second round pick from the trade to draft Breece Hall, the Bills actual second round pick to draft a speed WR like Metchie III, and use the cap savings from losing Edmunds contract to sign one of the Veteran CB's still on the market.

What do you think??

I think the Bills going LB with the 1st pick is a real possibility.  I just cannot see Beane letting Edmunds walk without getting anything in return.  I just can't see it.

If that ends up being the case, then he either negotiates a contract with him or he trades Edmunds for most likely a 2nd rounder.  If he trades Edmunds then that leaves a gaping hole at LB and the odds of getting a LB with the first pick goes up by a lot.  In which you could get a quality WR and DB with the 2nd round picks.

I think there is as good a chance of this happening as selecting a WR/CB with the first pick.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Moving on from Edmunds is similar to the idea being floated that the team move on from Jordan Poyer.

In each case there are a lot of people here who aren't considering the impact that trading away a respected team leader would have on the locker room.

FWIW, Edmunds is a team captain and a guy the Bills traded up to pick in the 1st round. He's been an exemplary teammate, doing everything expected and asked of him within his powers.

If the Bills are so coldly calculating as to trade away a respected veteran leader for the promise of a rookie, isn't that risky in terms of the locker room ripple effect?

For the most part I disagree with your take. Comparing Poyer to Edmunds just isn't fair to Poyer. I'm not convinced that losing Edmunds would negatively affect the players. Players know that there's always a chance teams could trade or release them especially when it comes to contract time. 

Imho, Edmunds is average to good at best. He's very replaceable and his new contract doesn't warrant that type of money. I think the Bills can improve the position and save salary at the same time. I wish him the best in a different uniform. 

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Looking through this thread, I don’t see  much bashing.

jmo. 

Very well put! 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Santana said:

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s awful...he’s just so mediocre...we can do better...👍

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be very happy with Lloyd or Dean at #25.  I like both the linebackers at this spot.  Between the two IMO, Lloyd is the better athlete with better size, Dean is the better football player, with more football IQ at this point in the games they've played. 

I'd pass on the trade.  The linebacker unit needs an infusion of talented young players.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I like Lloyd a lot.

But I don't think you make a rookie your signal-caller in a year where you really think you're going for the Super Bowl.

As good as Lloyd is, could be disruptive move for team chemistry.  Look to draft under the radar LB in mid-rounds to develop.   Milano worked out for us.  

9 hours ago, Special K said:

Would you select him, and trade Edmunds to a team with a top 15 Second Round Pick??

I know there are a lot of what-ifs in this scenario, but if the draft did fall this way, and a team with a top 15 second round pick was interested in trading for Edmunds...I would pull the trigger immediately on this.

Although I do not hate Edmunds as much as many on this board, I am certainly not a fan of giving him a huge contract extension either.

Lloyd is a beast of a LB, and could easily end up being better than Edmunds quite quickly, plus he would be on a cheaper rookie contract for the next 5 years.

I would use the second round pick from the trade to draft Breece Hall, the Bills actual second round pick to draft a speed WR like Metchie III, and use the cap savings from losing Edmunds contract to sign one of the Veteran CB's still on the market.

What do you think??

Trading Tremaine Edmunds.

Who wants him?   Who wants to pay him his pretty high one year salary.  And then risk not resigning him?    It isn't always feasible to do a "sign and trade".  And I don't think anyone has done that during the 3 days of the draft.  Not impossible, but it would be a challenge. 

I do find LB Troy Anderson an interesting possibility at pick 57.  The guy flies to ball...he is smart and is good sized at 6'4".   I would have no problems drafting him in the 2nd round.   And if something strange happens and he is still on the board in the 3rd, I would move up to get him.

21 minutes ago, Santana said:

Thanks for your input and insight I appreciate it. Yeah there's not too much bashing on this thread but it's a pretty common reoccurring theme on here and other platforms as well. I get it, he has things to work on. Every NFL player has things to work on, especially a 23yr old MLB. I think he'll actually put it all together this year and be more decisive and play more downhill. Often nowadays, it seems as though we all expect players to come in and be stars in years 1 and 2. Some do and some take a few years. He's so young and he's been starting since he was 19yrs old. He's still 2 years younger than Joe Burrow. 

He’s played 4 seasons…..age should not be a factor anymore imo.  His best season was year 2, when he was 20.  Experience hasn’t done much for him. 

i hope that you’re right and that he’s does break out.  The DL additions should certainly help.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.