Am I the only one who hasn't completely given up on Zack Moss?

Logic

IMO Zack Moss' current role on this team is a Training Camp battle with Duke Johnson to be the #3 RB on this team.

He had two seasons of opportunities and their utilizing him as a healthy scratch down the stretch and their signing of J.D. McKissic (even though it fell through) shows they've lost faith in him to be the #2 RB. Right now he's battling for the roster spot held by Matt Breida last season and T.J. Yeldon before it.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's hoping Moss becomes what the team envisioned him to be.

Personally, I remember being rather unhappy with the pick, preferring others on my "BIG BOARD" over him.  But what do I know....

My stand on this is that we need a starting RB who will instill fear in opposing defenses.  To date, Moss isn't that guy, but I also wonder if Moss would do better with a more run-heavy scheme and with an upgrade to our OL.  

As a team on the brink of a superbowl run.....  I'm not comfortable with wait and see.  If we can snag Kenneth Walker III, it improves our CHANCES of having a dominant run game.   

Just imagine having a dominant RB.  It would give defensive coordinators fits with Allen's ability to get the ball downfield.  Stack the box?  Um.... Thank you very much!

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The former all-pro who played with the 49ers...Joe Staley? Is that his name? 

heck yeah! good for him. TE Univ seemed to help Knox put it all together last season. thats the kind of stuff the props pro's do. how huge would that be for this team if he took another big step. players bodies make the biggest jump the off season after rookie year.  6' 8" leaves a lot of room to add muscle. same with the other rookie Rousseau, i expect a big jump outta him. hes tall and lean. plenty of room to pack on muscle. big jump going from college cafeteria food to nfl nutrition plan with trainers setting your diet. 

On 4/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

His vision is poor imo.  That is really needed as a RB lol

Unfortunately, it's this.

He's not big enough or fast enough to compensate for his lack of field awareness and vision.

He plays with toughness, which I love, and is great in pass pro, but he's 5'9'' 205 ... so he can't just run into guys and move them.

He runs a 4.65, so he's not out-running anyone and he's a single-cut runner.

He's great at breaking tackles for his size, but he's not elusive, so it's important to have GREAT vision, patience, and balance.

He doesn't have that.

So ... what part of his game is elite, that makes up for all the other missing attributes?

Will the lightbulb go off and all of a sudden he has great vision and patience?

I just don't see it, but then again, I think the O-line makes the RB so if our O-line clears lanes, any RB including Moss will look like they "took a step."

Edit -- I was curious to see if this was always an issue with him and apparently it has been for a while (2020):

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/zack-moss/VTjtEWlX0s

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 1

I was very disappointed with Moss last season. After his rookie year I really thought he had a chance at becoming the starter in 2021. That obviously did not happen.

I am always willing to give a player another chance. Who knows maybe Kromer's O-Line system will make a huge difference.

I don't think Moss will surpass Singletary as the starter, but if he can be a good RB2, I would consider that a huge positive.

So, let's see what happens when we get to training camp, and then who will be the inactive RB behind Taiwan Jones.

I find it interesting that we're talking about Moss' vision.  I think that he's never had it so why would he now?  His main college attributes were his straight forward, bruising style that really needs a bit more of a hole from his O-linemen to have any effect.  If he can't get to level2, he's toast.

This is the reason I thought the draft pick was wasted on him. 

BUT I still hope to eat crow on those words...  

It's not like he's a first round draft bust, so I'm good with his role as a backup RB.  Let's not be too hard on him.  He never was meant to be a feature back right?

11 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I see a free rusher (Adrian Phillips). that will likely chase you down if you try and run outside Spncer Brown and at best you get a one yard gain.  Maybe even a loss if Brown can't sustain his block.  Or you put your head down and try to get a three or four yard gain inside hoping Morse will sustain his block (he doesn't).  If you want to argue he doesn't have the greatest vision this is a poor example to use.

I was thinking of red zone failures and I think it was the Titans game, could have been the Bucs. Moss had an easy TD which would have won the game for us.   
He ran past the seam and straight into were the blockers were moving the defense.   I cannot think of any plays he made in the red zone.   

As a runner he lacks vision and football smarts.   Blocking is average at best and he did nothing as a receiver out of the backfield.   The Bills will draft a RB and Moss will have to really improve to make the team.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.