Why arm strength matters(Mac Jones/Josh Allen comparison in playoff game by Cover 1)

Big Turk

Really good breakdown...

Both threw the ball from the 42 yard line on the opposite hash...

Mac Jones ball took 3.1 seconds to get 1 yard deep in the end zone.

Josh Allen's ball took 2.5 seconds to get 7 yards deep in the end zone.

One was an INT, the other a TD. One of these things is not like the others...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 19
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Really good breakdown...

Both threw the ball from the 42 yard line on the opposite hash...

Mac Jones ball took 3.1 seconds to get 1 yard deep in the end zone.

Josh Allen's ball took 2.5 seconds to get 7 yards deep in the end zone.

One was an INT, the other a TD. One of these things is not like the others...

Lol I mean sure, but Mac’s ball a little more accurately placed outside is a TD. And Sanders was way more open.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lol I mean sure, but Mac’s ball a little more accurately placed outside is a TD. And Sanders was way more open.

Yes if McCorkle only had the arm to do that ha ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

I think you mean Tua? Brissett plays for the Browns now and was the backup in Miami last year. 

It was meant to be a joke but i was mistaken on Brissett / Teddy

Has someone actually argued that arm strength doesn't matter at all? Has zero impact?  I know that arm strength is only ONE factor, but of course it matters. This seems like a straw man argument to me.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

@PatsFanNH will not like this blatant evidence. I’m sure he will stick to his guns that Belichick wants McCorkle over Allen. 
All kidding aside, this is exactly why guys like Jones and Fitz have the ceiling they do. They just don’t have the arm. 

Literally no coach ever would want MJ10 over Allen. Suggesting otherwise is idiocy.

46 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Or of the ball wasn't a Super Tecmo Bowl lollipop throw and got there a half second sooner?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don't think he was any more open.  Hyde was able to close & make the INT cuz he was moving (much) faster than the ball.  Sanders (still) had no one near him cuz the ball got there so quickly. 

More outside might/probably would've done it but throwing the ball w/ more velocity & less arc definitely would've made it impossible to make a defensive play on it.

• Agree 4

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Pats receiver would have been "way more open" too if Mac's pass got there in 2.5 seconds instead of 3.1.

• Thank you (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Literally no coach ever would want MJ10 over Allen. Suggesting otherwise is idiocy.

Or of the ball wasn't a Super Tecmo Bowl lollipop throw and got there a half second sooner?

Yeah sure that would have helped. A more accurate ball would’ve helped too.

Josh threw a dart but it was well behind Sanders. Good thing he was open and the ball got there fast.

13 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

I don't think he was any more open.  Hyde was able to close & make the INT cuz he was moving (much) faster than the ball.  Sanders (still) had no one near him cuz the ball got there so quickly. 

More outside might/probably would've done it but throwing the ball w/ more velocity & less arc definitely would've made it impossible to make a defensive play on it.

Hyde is also in position because of the defensive alignment. Josh was throwing against single coverage outside. Jones was not. The Pats safety was nowhere close.

12 minutes ago, TPS said:

The Pats receiver would have been "way more open" too if Mac's pass got there in 2.5 seconds instead of 3.1.

Hyde made a great play but he was also helping over the top. The DB had no such help against Sanders. You can even see the safety 20 yards away.

Edited by FireChans

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah sure that would have helped. A more accurate ball would’ve helped too.

Josh threw a dart but it was well behind Sanders. Good thing he was open and the ball got there fast.

Hyde is also in position because of the defensive alignment. Josh was throwing against single coverage outside. Jones was not. The Pats safety was nowhere close.

Hyde made a great play but he was also helping over the top. The DB had no such help against Sanders. You can even see the safety 20 yards away.

Allen looks off the safety and his throw is freakish in that it has very little air under it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Two physically limited qbs and no major defensive changes after getting torched by josh Allen a bunch of times lol

No need for that they’ll go toe to toe with Allen ( this time 🤔

Edited by Putin

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen looks off the safety and his throw is freakish in that it has very little air under it.

Jones pump faked but it didn’t fool Hyde. 

I think it’s extremely oversimplifying it by saying it’s just arm strength is the difference between the two plays. Micah’s

play was unreal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Here's the thing about arm strength..  it's overrated until you don't have enough

It was the best attribute for John elway, and brett favre and Rodgers... The ability to uncork balls that defensive backs can't get to

The velocity to whiz it past people's heads is huge at the NFL level

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.