New York Yankees 2022....Aaron Judge sets AL record with HR #62

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I am not so sure the Yankees give Judge the big contract. He was awful these playoffs. It will be an interesting offseason in the Bronx. They never beat Houston. It sucks.

The Yankees need to re-think their strategy of out-homering everybody. It clearly works in the regular season, but it’s just not going to cut it against the big boys. HRs are obviously a big part of today’s game, but they need to be able to manufacture runs, too. Striking out 50 times in four games will lead to getting swept most of the time. Get another ace; get some contact hitters; and for God’s sake get a real manager. 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The Yankees need to re-think their strategy of out-homering everybody. It clearly works in the regular season, but it’s just not going to cut it against the big boys. HRs are obviously a big part of today’s game, but they need to be able to manufacture runs, too. Striking out 50 times in four games will lead to getting swept most of the time. Get another ace; get some contact hitters; and for God’s sake get a real manager. 

Agree 100%. What to do with Judge? Going off the regular season he deserves the huge contract. But he was terrible in the playoffs. You want your star players to step up in the big moments like Josh Allen does for the Bills. Judge didn't do that. Granted most in the lineup didn't but Judge is the one looking for that huge payday.

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Agree 100%. What to do with Judge? Going off the regular season he deserves the huge contract. But he was terrible in the playoffs. You want your star players to step up in the big moments like Josh Allen does for the Bills. Judge didn't do that. Granted most in the lineup didn't but Judge is the one looking for that huge payday.

If I were a Yankees fan, as beloved as Judge is, I'd want the Yankees to spend that $350 million elsewhere.  They're loaded with HR hitters.  If they can get a decent-fielding RF who can get 80 RBI for a fraction of the price, they'd be much better off.  As a Mets fan, it pains me to say that I hope they don't (over)pay deGrom.  Sometimes addition by subtraction is the smartest play.

Judge had an historic regular season.  He'll never come close to duplicating that.  It's likely that no one will.  He's also going to be 31-years-old to begin the season next year and 2022 was only the 2nd season in which he didn't miss significant time due to injury.

14 hours ago, Greg S said:

Pitching and out homering teams is how you win in the playoffs.   It's more predictive than turnovers in football.

What the Yankees need to change is the little tap dance they like to do around an imaginary salary cap with their payroll.   There is no salary cap........and when you win for 30 straight seasons like they have then you never benefit from the spoils of the parity machine.   Even if you draft and develop well you need to keep spending to beat the system.   It's an ugly game but they are losing in the playoffs because they don't have better pitching or better lineups........because they are making a lot of unnecessary business decisions to try to fill certain spots on the cheap.   Some team is ALWAYS going to be at a point in their development where they don't have many weaknesses..........so you gotta' match that. 

Their last dynasty was BUILT on prospects drafted/acquired during their late 80's and early 90's stretch of losing and only sustained by spending.   You aren't building a new "core 4" plus when drafting 25th-30th every year.   But when you make money like the Yankees you CAN spend more every year though.    No reason why they shouldn't have a $350M payroll at this point in time.     Bryce Harper should be on the team.   Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander should have finished their careers as Yankees.  Giancarlo Stanton should have never been acquired........that was a half measure to acquire a run producer on a cheaper contract than the pending free agents in coming offseasons.    

They had payrolls comparable to this past season 15 years ago.   They've basically repeated the mistakes of the 1980's when George and his fellow owners colluded against the players so George refused to bid on certain star players(Jack Morris repeatedly, in particular) to tamp league salaries down.

Time for Hal to wake up......stop counting sunk costs..........and spend the money in the offseason..........instead of making believe that there is a salary cap and then trading prospects for rentals in July as if the Yankees championship drive isn't a going concern.    ESPECIALLY now because they are effectively being charged a "Yankee tax" in trades.   Stop being a p*ssy Hal. :lol:

The other option is to tear it down and tank.   Which is now not really an option because Cohen is on the other side of town and willing to LOSE money to win.      

there is zero reason for the Yankees to not have these types of players every year.  Sucks for other teams, but like you said, there is really no salary cap, and the yankees have never been shy about spending money to build a dynasty.  recently that money spent has been in the wrong spots.  Let's not forget though that not having DJ and Bennetendi really hurt this team down the stretch, and as f***ed up as it may sound, losing Aaron Hicks actually hurt in terms of depth and positioning of players, not necessarily in terms of production.  Not knowing who is playing SS or who is leading off is a Boone thing, not sure he can be the future, despite his winning %age.  Things need to happen

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bryce Harper should be on the team.   Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander should have finished their careers as Yankees.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I would imagine if Cashman gets let go this decision will be revisited by the incoming GM.

I doubt Cashman gets fired. Coming off a 99 win season and making it to the ALCS. Now if George were still the owner, then maybe but I doubt Hal will fire him

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I doubt Cashman gets fired. Coming off a 99 win season and making it to the ALCS. Now if George were still the owner, then maybe but I doubt Hal will fire him

I'm not saying Cashman will (or even should) get canned. But why would Hal make comments about Boone coming back but not Cashman? 

On 10/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, Gugny said:

If I were a Yankees fan, as beloved as Judge is, I'd want the Yankees to spend that $350 million elsewhere.  They're loaded with HR hitters.  If they can get a decent-fielding RF who can get 80 RBI for a fraction of the price, they'd be much better off.  As a Mets fan, it pains me to say that I hope they don't (over)pay deGrom.  Sometimes addition by subtraction is the smartest play.

Judge had an historic regular season.  He'll never come close to duplicating that.  It's likely that no one will.  He's also going to be 31-years-old to begin the season next year and 2022 was only the 2nd season in which he didn't miss significant time due to injury.

I agree w/ this (as a Yankees fan).  I love Judge, and it pains me to think of him on another team.  But when a guy around his age gets signed to one of those contracts, the fanbase usually ends up griping in the last half of it, w/ a player getting overpaid for diminishing performance.  They should invest the money for a more well-rounded team.

I do think they did better w/ roster construction this year - it wasn't a HR or bust line-up for awhile there.  Benintendi & DJ were really our contact hitters. Losing them and Carpenter really hurt by the time they got to the Astros. It would have been much more competitive (imo) even if just Benny had been playing.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:37 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Awesome. My favorite part is that your kids got you into the game.

I'm a lifelong Mets fan - so like you I'm hoping for a championship or two as well this year.  And as much as I want one for me I want one for my sons even more.  

Bummed for both of us this season!  I really thought the chances of a Mets/Yankees final was good.

Oh, well - next year.  I took it as a sign that the Bills will finally get over the hump for sure (sorry to anyone reading - I don't believe in jinxes!)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm not saying Cashman will (or even should) get canned. But why would Hal make comments about Boone coming back but not Cashman? 

Have no idea. Maybe the reporter just asked about Boone. Have to think both are coming back. The real question here is will they resign Judge? He is getting a monster deal from someone. George would pay it but will Hal?

25 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Have no idea. Maybe the reporter just asked about Boone. Have to think both are coming back. The real question here is will they resign Judge? He is getting a monster deal from someone. George would pay it but will Hal?

Fair enough wrt Cashman, if they plan to move on why wait? Just thought it was odd that Boone got a public vote of confidence and Cashman didn't when both are on every Yankee fans mind.

They should 100% resign Judge. Home grown , beloved by the fan base, enormously telaneted. Disappeared in the playoffs and it's unlikely he'll ever replicate his regular season - regardless, he's a player any team should want.

BTW, Go Isles.  Nice shutout on Potvin Socks night!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.