New York Yankees 2022....Aaron Judge sets AL record with HR #62

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

LOL, no wonder everyone hates Yankee fans...  You'd think such an organization, with overwhelming financial advantages, would have actually won a title more recently than 2009.

No more financial advantages than other teams. That stuff doesn't work anymore. Plenty of teams doing it now, jealous they did it first and most successfully.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Got 2 of 3 from the Tirds.

Great first MLB start from rookie JP Sears and fellow rookie Ron Marinaccio put up 2 scoreless.

Not much offense but Andujar had a couple hits.

Errin' Hicks is having an epically bad season at EVERYTHING though.........even by his career standard of usually having terrible seasons. :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:41 PM, TBBills said:

No more financial advantages than other teams. That stuff doesn't work anymore. Plenty of teams doing it now, jealous they did it first and most successfully.

Have to provide some feedback regarding this.

Right now in the MLB, there is no salary cap.

This is current ranking of 2022 MLB team salaries…huge disparities between the haves and the have nots:

https://boardroom.tv/mlb-team-payrolls-2022/

Current players who will be making more money this season than the entire Oakland #Athletics with their $33 million payroll: Max Scherzer, #Yankees: $43.3M Corey Seager, #Rangers: $37.5M Anthony Rendon, #Angels: $37.5M Gerrit Cole, #Yankees: $36M Carlos Correa, #Twins: $35.1M

I used to be a huge baseball fan but no longer. I will also disregard the NFL if they move away from an equal salary cap. Apart from certain star players, the quality of the infrastructure (GM, coaches, staff…even owner) in the NFL is what differentiates one team from another…not the $ you have.
That is not to say some team with a lower salary in MLB cannot win. But when they do, the top spending teams will snag their best players.

20 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Have to provide some feedback regarding this.

Right now in the MLB, there is no salary cap.

This is current ranking of 2022 MLB team salaries…huge disparities between the haves and the have nots:

https://boardroom.tv/mlb-team-payrolls-2022/

Current players who will be making more money this season than the entire Oakland #Athletics with their $33 million payroll: Max Scherzer, #Yankees: $43.3M Corey Seager, #Rangers: $37.5M Anthony Rendon, #Angels: $37.5M Gerrit Cole, #Yankees: $36M Carlos Correa, #Twins: $35.1M

I used to be a huge baseball fan but no longer. I will also disregard the NFL if they move away from an equal salary cap. Apart from certain star players, the quality of the infrastructure (GM, coaches, staff…even owner) in the NFL is what differentiates one team from another…not the $ you have.
That is not to say some team with a lower salary in MLB cannot win. But when they do, the top spending teams will snag their best players.

I, too, wish MLB would implement a salary cap.  The luxury tax clearly doesn't deter bigger market teams from spending insane amounts of money. 

However, as a Mets fan, I can tell you that spending does not necessarily equate to winning ... or even being good, for that matter.

In most seasons, the World Series teams are NOT in the top 5 of MLB payrolls.

When the Mets last made the World Series in 2015, they were 21st in payroll.

When it all comes out in the wash, it's all about HOW the money is spent, and to a larger extent, how well an organization builds its farm and brings up homegrown talent.

That's how the Yankees built their dynasty back in the Joe Torre days.  Buck Showalter and Gene Michael built the farm and Cashman spent George's money in the right places.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Nice win over a really sloppy defense Rays team, 7-2.

Nestor Cortes had another stellar outing..........giving the team 8 scoreless when the bullpen is weakened by injuries.

Lineup continues to struggle with LeMahieu, Stanton and Donaldson out.

Boone and Matt Blake have been tremendous - there is a clear shift from "maintenance days" and punting games to "win every dam game like the season depends on it. 

And obviously:

1.  Judge is healthy and the MVP

2. The starting pitching is elite and the bullpen up until this week has been elite

3. Upgrade at Catcher defensively

Problems:

Rizzo has 1 HR since April 26.  He has 2 multi hit games since then.

They probably need 2 bats even with a healthy Stanton and DJ.  The bottom 4 of the order is a black hole.

Get Benintendi and one more arm for the pen.  Hope Rizzo wakes up.  

On 6/2/2022 at 11:29 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Nice doubleheader sweep of Angels on Lou Gehrig day.

MLB best record of 36-15..........leading MLB in HR hit and in fewest runs allowed.

Allowed just 3 runs in the 3 games versus Angels.

9 of next 12 at home.

Yeah but remember, the Yanks have played nobody good…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

The question is who is good?   Basically every team with a winning record in the AL is in playoff position right now.    Looks like another top-heavy season for MLB.   Easy to find bad teams in both leagues.

Offense's continue to be dominated by pitching, everywhere.    Yanks have nearly pitched 3 no hitters in a row.   The one hit today was an error in normal offensive times.   They have only given up 3 runs in the past 5 games.    

When is the last time a team swept a 3 game series with 3 shutouts?   Maybe the Yanks can do that against that assh*le AJ Hinch.    What is amazing is that they are winning all of these games and still putting at least 2 automatic 0-4's in the lineup every night between Hicks, Gallo and Higgy.    

Probably going to want to resolve that issue by the trade deadline because the playoffs will be tough.   The way the 2022 playoff system is set up Houston would get either Minnesota or the Angels while Yanks will have to play the much tougher Toronto or Tampa teams to get to play Houston in ALCS and then to get to the Dodgers or Mets.    Probably want to add another outfield bat even if the sailing is pretty steady right now.

I presume they will fix the seeding issue next year when the league goes to a balanced schedule.    Seeding should be based on record and with a balanced schedule there would be no excuse not to do it that way.  But right now Houston could end up playing an 85 win team in the division series while the Yanks could end up playing a 100 win AL East team.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sweep of Tigers.

39-15 at the 1/3 mark of the season.

This has been one enjoyable season so far. I didn't think the pitching would be this good. I think they already have 7 or 8 shutouts on the season already. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, NobesBLO13 said:

Out of their last 12 series, 9 of those teams are under .500.

I'm not comparing them to the Mets (7 or their last 12 have been against sub-.500 teams), or anyone else for that matter.

But let's not pretend the Yankees are beating great teams.  They've been beating up on scrubs for most of the beginning of the season.  I know the schedule is out of their control and they're doing what they're supposed to be doing.  But saying that they have played nobody good, generally speaking, is a true statement.

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

This has been one enjoyable season so far. I didn't think the pitching would be this good. I think they already have 7 or 8 shutouts on the season already. 

Yeah the pitching has been dominant.  30th consecutive winning season is in the bag.  Pitching coach Matt Blake is the organizational MVP.    Saving shallow-pockets Hal a ton of money.   Offense has a lot of room for improvement but still they have the second best OPS in baseball behind the Dodgers.      

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Out of their last 12 series, 9 of those teams are under .500.

I'm not comparing them to the Mets (7 or their last 12 have been against sub-.500 teams), or anyone else for that matter.

But let's not pretend the Yankees are beating great teams.  They've been beating up on scrubs for most of the beginning of the season.  I know the schedule is out of their control and they're doing what they're supposed to be doing.  But saying that they have played nobody good, generally speaking, is a true statement.

It’s a borderline historically great start they’re having Gugny. Oodles of teams throughout history have had a similar or easier schedule and they have not put up that record the yanks have. 

This is a very good team. I know that fact chaps your ass but it’s true. 

Don’t worry, I’m sure when the Mets play the Yanks later in the year you’ll take a couple games and you’ll be very happy, because it will be your World Series 😜😜😜

13 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

It’s a borderline historically great start they’re having Gugny. Oodles of teams throughout history have had a similar or easier schedule and they have not put up that record the yanks have. 

This is a very good team. I know that fact chaps your ass but it’s true. 

Don’t worry, I’m sure when the Mets play the Yanks later in the year you’ll take a couple games and you’ll be very happy, because it will be your World Series 😜😜😜

I'm not taking anything away from what they're doing.  They're beating the teams they should beat, as well as beating some good teams.  Same with the Mets.

The Yankees, on paper, is stacked.  I will give credit to the bench players filling in.  They've been doing a great job.  We saw the same with the Mets back in 2015, when they went to the World Series.

And I agree ... they are a very good team.  With that roster, they should be.  But Yankees fans MUST be in "show me the baby," mode by now.  As a Mets fan, I am there, too.  The money has been spent.  The roster is solid.  Now make it happen.

Some Yankees fans think I'm pooping on the Yankees.  I am not.  I'm just calling a spade a spade.  They've had a pretty fluff schedule.  The Mets' schedule has been nearly as fluff.  Both teams are doing what they need to do.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not taking anything away from what they're doing.  They're beating the teams they should beat, as well as beating some good teams.  Same with the Mets.

The Yankees, on paper, is stacked.  I will give credit to the bench players filling in.  They've been doing a great job.  We saw the same with the Mets back in 2015, when they went to the World Series.

And I agree ... they are a very good team.  With that roster, they should be.  But Yankees fans MUST be in "show me the baby," mode by now.  As a Mets fan, I am there, too.  The money has been spent.  The roster is solid.  Now make it happen.

Some Yankees fans think I'm pooping on the Yankees.  I am not.  I'm just calling a spade a spade.  They've had a pretty fluff schedule.  The Mets' schedule has been nearly as fluff.  Both teams are doing what they need to do.

Well, this is disappointing. I was hoping for some trash talk. Go back to the Mets board you’re no fun.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

Well, this is disappointing. I was hoping for some trash talk. Go back to the Mets board you’re no fun.

I'll say this ... if the living Steinbrenners actually want to win more than the regular season, they should shitcan Boone and get Girardi back, like yesterday.  George would never had let him go.

Just now, Gugny said:

I'll say this ... if the living Steinbrenners actually want to win more than the regular season, they should shitcan Boone and get Girardi back, like yesterday.  George would never had let him go.

I would have shitcanned Boone and brought back Showalter. You have the advantage in the dugout I’ll say that.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NobesBLO13 said:

I would have shitcanned Boone and brought back Showalter. You have the advantage in the dugout I’ll say that.

I think Boone was the absolute worst hire they could have made.  Zero experience.  Relies solely on analytics.  That's simply not a good hire.

I HATED when the Mets would hire rookie managers.  Willie Randolph was the worst.  Christ, I'm getting angry just typing his name (in this context).

Mets were absolutely blessed when Beltran got roped into the cheating scandal.  Rojas, God bless him, was thrown into the fire too quickly and I really do hope he gets another chance someday.  He was just not ready to take on a team in the Big Apple.

Boone has no business being the manager of a team like the Yankees.  If I were a Yankees fan, I'd be pissed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.