New York Yankees 2022....Aaron Judge sets AL record with HR #62

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

This would be so much bigger if it wasn't for the darn steroid era.  I hope he hits number 62 at home against the Orioles.  A truly remarkable season.

Yeah he was excellent in the first half but he was actually getting A LOT of pitches to hit back then...........sometimes 3 per at bat.

His second half of the season that has changed as he has lost almost all protection in the lineup..........and yet it has been a half for the ages...........rarely does he NOT have a good at bat.

Worked the lefty Mayza and got him to throw multiple center cut fastballs and finally got a hold of one even though he's been opening up and getting around the ball noticeably lately (which is why he's hit so many balls right down the left field line last few days).

Hopefully he gets back to using the whole field a bit more back in NY and gets the batting title to win that Triple Crown.........that would be amazing and cap one of the greatest offensive seasons for an MLB player ever.    In a league where the average player hits about .240 and every relief pitcher is throwing mid-high 90's and teams use them liberally it's every bit as impressive as the best seasons of Ruth, Mantle, Ted Williams etc.., IMO.

Also.........with 96 wins and 7 games remaining the Yanks have a good shot at getting over 100 wins again after playing just terrible baseball for 2 months in July/August..........including their worst month in 30 years in August.

Cole also ties Guidry season strikeout record with 248.

And what would have been Yankees news normally with the playoff positioning clinched..........the Yankees most hyped prospect ever,  Jasson Dominguez had something of a career breakout performance in the deciding game of the AA Eastern League Championship series with 2 HR and 6 rbi reaching base 5 times as Somerset won the title game 15-0 with a no hit performance from their staff.    Second time this month The Martian has hit a HR from both sides of the plate in the same game.    Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Dominguez up in majors next August/September as a 20 year old in a role like Oswald Peraza is playing now.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This would be so much bigger if it wasn't for the darn steroid era.  I hope he hits number 62 at home against the Orioles.  A truly remarkable season.

What makes it easier to appreciates is that all the steroid HR record breakers were in the National League...............so 61 still ties a significant record.

And the background is that the ball has been deadened and batting averages have plummeted.........and still he did it...........his season is an absurd outlier of production.

Looking forward to some of the changes next year.......games being cut by 20 minutes in length by the pitch clock........shifts banned........bigger bases making the running game much more valuable and rewarding players for making contact.......

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Looking forward to some of the changes next year.......games being cut by 20 minutes in length by the pitch clock........shifts banned........bigger bases making the running game much more valuable and rewarding players for making contact.......

I am looking forward to bigger bases and the pitch clock.  There's not much research to back up the shift having any significant impact on batting average though based off the double A results.  It just makes it more aesthetically pleasing to the eyes I guess.

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I am looking forward to bigger bases and the pitch clock.  There's not much research to back up the shift having any significant impact on batting average though based off the double A results.  It just makes it more aesthetically pleasing to the eyes I guess.

The Yankees minor league teams ran absolutely wild stealing bases this season.   Very much looking forward to the young players bringing that to the field in the next couple seasons.     The shift alone won't change players approach at the plate.........but in unison with more runners in scoring position and on base it should matter in how players approach hitting.    One of the reasons players really bought into launch angles to hit the ball over shifts was a dearth of runners on base and a lively ball.    Ball has been deadened........the rest is to come.

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Watch him do it on the last day of the season like Maris did to Ruth.

That would be a nice thing to see. Either way when this is over and the pressure is off I expect him to hit a number of HR's in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

• BADOLBILZ changed the title to New York Yankees 2022....Aaron Judge sets AL record with HR #62

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Berra, Mantle, Stengel, Maris, Ford, Jackson, Martin, Jeter, Rivera.

Judge could possibly join that list if he re-ups with Yankees……or wins the Series this year.

Edited by I am the egg man

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.