New York Yankees 2022....Aaron Judge sets AL record with HR #62

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, Success said:

I'm a recent Yankees fan (last 5 years - didn't understand baseball before that). Pretty rabid about it now - but man, the attitude of fellow Yankees fans can be off-putting.  They remind me so much of today's Pats fans.

This team has a 9 game lead in the division.  It's a long season.  No one sprints the whole time.  They will be fine.

I disagree.  His trade deadline this year made 100% sense to me. The Yanks needed a contact hitter, a starter & help in the BP. He got all 3.

Would Castillo have been better than Montas? Sure. But there are 31 other teams, and the Reds didn't like our prospects as much.

And as far as Monty - he was only in the starting rotation in the playoffs if there were injuries.  We need CF more.  Bader is one of the best defensive players in the league.

I have no problems with Benitendi if that's who you are referring to.  Would much rather have him than Gallo...although I had no issues with Gallo's fielding.  They added Montas and got rid of Montgomery.  So they really didn't add a starter.  Montgomery pitched well.  He just never got any run support.  Montas so far...not pitching well.  And I agree...I would rather they got Castillo.  As to the BP...we'll see.  Bader...will he see the field this year?

You are correct that no one sprints...but this slump is lasting a lot longer than one would hope.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I'm a recent Yankees fan (last 5 years - didn't understand baseball before that). Pretty rabid about it now - but man, the attitude of fellow Yankees fans can be off-putting.  They remind me so much of today's Pats fans.

This team has a 9 game lead in the division.  It's a long season.  No one sprints the whole time.  They will be fine.

I disagree.  His trade deadline this year made 100% sense to me. The Yanks needed a contact hitter, a starter & help in the BP. He got all 3.

Would Castillo have been better than Montas? Sure. But there are 31 other teams, and the Reds didn't like our prospects as much.

And as far as Monty - he was only in the starting rotation in the playoffs if there were injuries.  We need CF more.  Bader is one of the best defensive players in the league.

Pats fans wish they were Yankees fans.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

I have no problems with Benitendi if that's who you are referring to.  Would much rather have him than Gallo...although I had no issues with Gallo's fielding.  They added Montas and got rid of Montgomery.  So they really didn't add a starter.  Montgomery pitched well.  He just never got any run support.  Montas so far...not pitching well.  And I agree...I would rather they got Castillo.  As to the BP...we'll see.  Bader...will he see the field this year?

You are correct that no one sprints...but this slump is lasting a lot longer than one would hope.

I was a huge Monty fan - and really liked the guy just as a person.  The trade was odd, but for me, the jury is out until we see what we have in Bader.

As for Montas, I think he has great stuff.  I'm hoping a bigger sample size will give fans (including me) more confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

IMO, that's an unexpected perspective for a Yankees fan.  I'd be interested in what drew you into baseball and the Yankees.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

IMO, that's an unexpected perspective for a Yankees fan.  I'd be interested in what drew you into baseball and the Yankees.

I just didn't get baseball for a LONG time.  I was one of those who thought it was just a slow game, with a bunch of unathletic guys spitting.  And the season seemed endless - I didn't understand how any single game or series mattered.

I moved downstate and lived fairly close to the stadium for awhile, so games were always on TV.  My kids started watching, so I'd watch w/ them, and we'd go to the occasional game just for fun.  When they won in 2009, I still wasn't really into it - but my kids were over the moon, so I was more happy for them.  That got me watching a little more though.

I started to understand the game more, and see all of the little nuances that go on.  The tense battles between the pitcher & batter; the chess match as the game goes on and managers go to the BP; the absolute beauty of a team playing great defense.  By the time they got Judge, I was hooked - and he definitely put it over the top.  Like everyone else, I just became a huge fan of his right out of the gate.

I never imagined that I'd be as into the sport as I am today. It's not like the Bills, where I have to watch every single game no matter what - but it's close. I end up watching most of the games, from the start of April on.

I'm Bills, Yankees, Knicks - in that order.  Only Yankees for the past decade or so, so I've never experienced one of my teams getting a championship.  I'm hoping that changes this year...maybe for 2 of my teams, who knows.  I have no illusions about the Knicks, though!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I just didn't get baseball for a LONG time.  I was one of those who thought it was just a slow game, with a bunch of unathletic guys spitting.  And the season seemed endless - I didn't understand how any single game or series mattered.

I moved downstate and lived fairly close to the stadium for awhile, so games were always on TV.  My kids started watching, so I'd watch w/ them, and we'd go to the occasional game just for fun.  When they won in 2009, I still wasn't really into it - but my kids were over the moon, so I was more happy for them.  That got me watching a little more though.

I started to understand the game more, and see all of the little nuances that go on.  The tense battles between the pitcher & batter; the chess match as the game goes on and managers go to the BP; the absolute beauty of a team playing great defense.  By the time they got Judge, I was hooked - and he definitely put it over the top.  Like everyone else, I just became a huge fan of his right out of the gate.

I never imagined that I'd be as into the sport as I am today. It's not like the Bills, where I have to watch every single game no matter what - but it's close. I end up watching most of the games, from the start of April on.

I'm Bills, Yankees, Knicks - in that order.  Only Yankees for the past decade or so, so I've never experienced one of my teams getting a championship.  I'm hoping that changes this year...maybe for 2 of my teams, who knows.  I have no illusions about the Knicks, though!

Awesome. My favorite part is that your kids got you into the game.

I'm a lifelong Mets fan - so like you I'm hoping for a championship or two as well this year.  And as much as I want one for me I want one for my sons even more.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I couldn't drink a beer through a regular straw. So while I applaud the ingenuity/stupidity/depravity of the hot dog straw - that's a puke emoji for me.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Licorice in soda < hot dog in beer

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/19/2022 at 10:19 PM, Success said:

Congrats on the two game sweep.  Perhaps we'll meet again later this year!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

All in all, two very good baseball games.  Quality pitching, defense and some nice clutch hitting by the Yankees.  Yankees pitchers really stepped up when they needed to.  They got plenty of key outs against quality batters with RISP.

I was a little confused by the Mets' batting approach in the first game.  The name of their game is getting pitch counts high out of the gate.  They were inexplicably aggressive in the first game.  They got back to their patient approach last night and it looked like it was goin to be effective.  But they just couldn't get the timely hits.

Must have felt good for Judge to launch that bomb off of Scherzer.  In the first series, Scherzer made Judge look like a child and I'm sure Judge was looking for revenge.  He sure got it.  He is having an amazing year and what could end up being an historical year.  I am pulling for him to get to 62.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.