Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]

FireChans

14 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

We have no details about the woman, that I know of at least. Could’ve been his assistant which in that case would make perfect sense as to why she was in the car.

Then she should have been assisting instead of the guy on Ketamine

14 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

don’t the additional reports that came out today qualify as some “knowledge of the situation?”

No

• Agree 1

Was Haskins actually driving or was the women driving and was she sober? I ask because if he was driving this wasn't a tragedy but a tragedy avoided. Or am I the only one who thinks that driving down the highway this messed up is attempted vehicular homicide? And that the real story here is that innocents didn't get killed by Haskin's deeply irresponsible act?

44 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Was Haskins actually driving or was the women driving and was she sober? I ask because if he was driving this wasn't a tragedy but a tragedy avoided. Or am I the only one who thinks that driving down the highway this messed up is attempted vehicular homicide? And that the real story here is that innocents didn't get killed by Haskin's deeply irresponsible act?

I haven't seen any reports saying if he was driving or not but I'm guessing the assistant was driving. It probably wouldn't be possible to drive any period of time without crashing if you have a 0.25 blood alcohol content. Pretty sad this happened because the assistant didn't put ***** gas in the rental vehicle.

• Disagree 1

15 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I was referring to saying it was addiction related.  That's ignorant unless I missed the report that said he was an alcoholic.  That's like saying anyone who ever got drunk is an alcoholic.  That was my point.

And I agreed with that point in a subsequent post.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

I haven't seen any reports saying if he was driving or not but I'm guessing the assistant was driving. It probably wouldn't be possible to drive any period of time without crashing if you have a 0.25 blood alcohol content. Pretty sad this happened because the assistant didn't put ***** gas in the rental vehicle.

You may have to rethink your position here...hard to drive if she was passed out

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2022/04/13/dwayne-haskins-was-reportedly-in-a-car-with-a-drunk-woman-before-he-was-killed-on-a-miami-highway/

Tough to see this play out ...young...talented...liked by teammates

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

She was supposedly passed out in the car. https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2022/04/13/dwayne-haskins-was-reportedly-in-a-car-with-a-drunk-woman-before-he-was-killed-on-a-miami-highway/  But they really haven't relesed much info about her other than saying a woman had been travelling with him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I speculated that the female occupant may have been his assistant since it was reported Haskins was in a rental headed for an airport - as far as I know that hasn’t been confirmed. The way the story has been reported it sounds like he was driving, but, again, I haven’t seen confirmation of that one way or the other. If you have more info please link.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Ketamine (Special K) has been used recreationally at clubs and raves since the 1990s.

The 60-90 minute period where the drug is strongest is known as a K-hole.

After 2+ hours motor skills return to almost normal,but mentally may still be in a bit of a fog

As an aside, SoF medics use K as post-wound analgesic, while regular Army and USMC still use fentanyl lollipops or similar (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Bottom line: K is some serious s**t, and I suspect there's some FL veterinarian shaking in his/her boots right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like he made some bad, bad decisions and lost his life due to them. We are all lucky he didn't kill anyone else.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who do stuff like this.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

What was the reason he went to Florida to begin with... Smh🙄

Obviously he wasn't practicing at 6 am. Idk why you would think that I was saying he was coming straight from practice

The timeline as presented was that a bunch of Pittsburgh players met in Florida to train and work-out together including and up to the day before.

The understanding was he was heading to the airport in the rental car because Pittsburgh was having some OTA activity the following day.

No one that I have seen has been saying at 5am he was coming from practice - everything I have seen or read - suggested the group finished their workouts the day before and several were heading back to Pittsburgh for Team Activities at different times.

What he did after leaving the group of players and that mornings very unfortunate events - is becoming more clear with the Ketamine and BAC at that hour.

He went to Florida to work out and was heading back for OTAs - the other decisions cost him dearly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The timeline as presented was that a bunch of Pittsburgh players met in Florida to train and work-out together including and up to the day before.

The understanding was he was heading to the airport in the rental car because Pittsburgh was having some OTA activity the following day.

No one that I have seen has been saying at 5am he was coming from practice - everything I have seen or read - suggested the group finished their workouts the day before and several were heading back to Pittsburgh for Team Activities at different times.

What he did after leaving the group of players and that mornings very unfortunate events - is becoming more clear with the Ketamine and BAC at that hour.

He went to Florida to work out and was heading back for OTAs - the other decisions cost him dearly.

Yep. He decided to party all night and do drugs. Pretty clear. And pretty stupid.

1 hour ago, Dukestreetking said:

As an aside, SoF medics use K as post-wound analgesic, while regular Army and USMC still use fentanyl lollipops or similar (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Bottom line: K is some serious s**t, and I suspect there's some FL veterinarian shaking in his/her boots right now.

Highly doubt it. He most likely ran up on someone who had it at the club who wasn't a Veterinarian. I would bet $$$ there is no type of tracing going on here. 

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

Highly doubt it. He most likely ran up on someone who had it at the club who wasn't a Veterinarian. I would bet $$$ there is no type of tracing going on here. 

Yea K is a street level drug now 

I could walk down Bailey and have somebody offer me it on the side of the street

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Thank you. A bunch of Steelers meet in south Florida to practice for a week. At the end of the final practice/ last night in town Haskins heads out for a night at a club/s to celebrate and unwind.

Could have been Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach etc. Being just off of I-95 makes any of those places possible. Plenty of places are open all night in south Florida, it is a globally known party spot. it could have been a strip club/ night club/ after hours venue. I've been to a strip club that was open till 5am in WPB, and have been to an afterhours club in South Beach that was open till 8am. Either type of place could fit the timeline.

While at the club he got to partying a little too hard. Famous young guys with some money attract attention at those places. He got a pretty good drink on and had some party favors. A 0.2 BAC is a pretty heavy night out. For those who do not know, the use of a recreational drug like K often masks the effects of booze. You don't 'feel the drunk', you feel the drug, and keep drinking. He loses track of time while under the K and booze and tries to get back to the airport to catch his flight. Maybe he met the woman while out?

Anyway he was near the Fort Lauderdale airport around 6am. I-95 and I-595 meets at the airport.

With the crazy night out, no one was paying attention to the gas situation. Car runs out of gas with the airport in sight. He doesn't want to call the police for help, would probably get a DUI. No one is thinking clearly at this point, he panicked, and we have the tragic end.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Thank you. A bunch of Steelers meet in south Florida to practice for a week. At the end of the final practice/ last night in town Haskins heads out for a night at a club/s to celebrate and unwind.

Could have been Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach etc. Being just off of I-95 makes any of those places possible. Plenty of places are open all night in south Florida, it is a globally known party spot. it could have been a strip club/ night club/ after hours venue. I've been to a strip club that was open till 5am in WPB, and have been to an afterhours club in South Beach that was open till 8am. Either type of place could fit the timeline.

While at the club he got to partying a little too hard. Famous young guys with some money attract attention at those places. He got a pretty good drink on and had some party favors. A 0.2 BAC is a pretty heavy night out. For those who do not know, the use of a recreational drug like K often masks the effects of booze. You don't 'feel the drunk', you feel the drug, and keep drinking. He loses track of time while under the K and booze and tries to get back to the airport to catch his flight. Maybe he met the woman while out?

Anyway he was near the Fort Lauderdale airport around 6am. I-95 and I-595 meets at the airport.

With the crazy night out, no one was paying attention to the gas situation. Car runs out of gas with the airport in sight. He doesn't want to call the police for help, would probably get a DUI. No one is thinking clearly at this point, he panicked, and we have the tragic end.

I agree that most of this is likely true and anyone with sense would know what he did doesn’t make him a scumbag or anything else but immature and irresponsible. Plenty young guys are like that. Many who are blessed enough to survive that phase go on to mature and do better. It’s a shame he wasn’t one of those. RIP Haskins. Folks should stop judging them and think back to the dumb crap they did that could have ended similarly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

I agree that most of this is likely true and anyone with sense would know what he did doesn’t make him a scumbag or anything else but immature and irresponsible. Plenty young guys are like that. Many who are blessed enough to survive that phase go on to mature and do better. It’s a shame he wasn’t one of those. RIP Haskins. Folks should stop judging them and think back to the dumb crap they did that could have ended similarly.

I closed many a bar in my time in Buffalo.

Sometimes the night would end at a Perkins Pancake House or the Towne Restaurant. Sometimes at Panos.

I remember emptying my pockets on the night stand before passing out in bed. There would be something like 3 crumpled up singles and 37 cents in change.

Two guys I use to run with a lot are gone... one suicide and one murdered. I had another friend who fell down the stairs at Molly's Pub (or was it Merlin's?), broke his neck and died.

Not sure why I was spared.

I'm grateful to still be here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.