Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]

FireChans

25 minutes ago, MRW said:

A thread with condolences would be nice, not sure why you think there is a mystery crying out for message board posters to solve.

Or why you think you were hired to police this message board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Or why you think you were hired to police this message board.

Since this is the second person you've lobbed this sentiment at - nobody is policing anything.  Some of us are simply stating our views.  That they happen to be in opposition to yours does not mean it is policing.  We are, however, just as entitled to express them as you are.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TBBills said:

People focusing on the wrong thing is worse than the tweet... but this is the world we live in, find anything to be angry about. It sucks his death is being overshadowed on here b.c people didn't like a tweet and want to bash that person. 

no this is not, no one is overshadowing a tragic death.

Edited by cba fan

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is all fine and dandy, but mostly people aren’t trying to cross a busy interstate. There isn’t much common sense into the speculation. Distressed judgement is about the best you can hope for. 

When you are young and in shape you believe you can try to cross a busy interstate highway.  I've done it in my younger days when I was running.  Now looking back it was a pretty dumb thing to do but I figured I was fast enough to beat any traffic.  I didn't even do it because of car trouble, I ran across the Thruway near Newburgh because I wanted to buy a newspaper on the other side where there was a rest area that I knew had the newspaper.  When I was a teenager I ran alongside the Southern State parkway in Long Island, having to cross exits and making sure cars weren't coming.  I understand how a person in the physical condition that a pro athlete is in can feel it's ok to run across a highway because I've been there, done that.  Not only was I lucky to survive, but I was also lucky that I didn't get a ticket for parking on the median grass of the Thruway.  Unfortunately Dwayne Haskiǹs wasn't as lucky and won't see 25.  Most young people make mistakes that can cost them their lives, fortunately most of us survive to realize we did some crazy stuff and got lucky.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

?? But why. I don’t think I’ve ever willing tried to cross an interstate as a pedestrian. 

7 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’d never try under any circumstances. Crossing a one lane road where cars are going 55 is difficult enough. Crossing 3-4 lanes of traffic with cars going 60-70? Nearly impossible. You will never realize how fast cars get to you at that speed until it’s too late. 

Had to do it twice.  I ran out of gas (broken gas gauge I found out) and I was on limited access Dulles airport access road.  I did not have a cell phone. Waited an hour even waving white flag (my shirt) and no one stopped.  Had to cross paid Dulles toll road, climb a fence and walk house to house looking for help.  Finally found someone willing to drive me to gas station and then brought me back to where I crossed fence where I then crossed pay road to airport access road.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

When you are young and in shape you believe you can try to cross a busy interstate highway.  I've done it in my younger days when I was running.  Now looking back it was a pretty dumb thing to do but I figured I was fast enough to beat any traffic.  I didn't even do it because of car trouble, I ran across the Thruway near Newburgh because I wanted to buy a newspaper on the other side where there was a rest area that I knew had the newspaper.  When I was a teenager I ran alongside the Southern State parkway in Long Island, having to cross exits and making sure cars weren't coming.  I understand how a person in the physical condition that a pro athlete is in can feel it's ok to run across a highway because I've been there, done that.  Not only was I lucky to survive, but I was also lucky that I didn't get a ticket for parking on the median grass of the Thruway.  Unfortunately Dwayne Haskiǹs wasn't as lucky and won't see 25.  Most young people make mistakes that can cost them their lives, fortunately most of us survive to realize we did some crazy stuff and got lucky.

That's really how I feel about what we know so far - most of us in our late teens/early 20s did at least a handful of things that in hindsight, were pretty much lucky we weren't injured or killed.  I don't know why he was crossing that road, how heavy the traffic was at 6:30 am, or what he felt his alternatives were that he didn't choose.

Just hug your family and kiddos and tell them you love them, because one stupid decision can cost a life.

• Like (+1) 5

53 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I eluded to this earlier in the thread. I’ve been trying to think of this from multiple angles and this is the only reasonable thing I could think of. I figured the decision must of stemmed from overconfidence. Simply relying on his elite athleticism, thinking he could do it. But maybe we won’t find out the real motive for his decision to cross the interstate. I would have to assume though, if it was because of car trouble, he would have enough connections to come help him. After all he is a professional athlete and all he would have to do is make a phone call. 

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's really how I feel about what we know so far - most of us in our late teens/early 20s did at least a handful of things that in hindsight, were pretty much lucky we weren't injured or killed.  I don't know why he was crossing that road, how heavy the traffic was at 6:30 am, or what he felt his alternatives were that he didn't choose.

Just hug your family and kiddos and tell them you love them, because one stupid decision can cost a life.

I just feel bad. Terrible really. I would just like to know what was going through his head at the moment he made these decisions. Just trying to make sense of it. I think we have all made some risky decisions in life that we would probably want back. I just hope for his sake there is more to the story than simply just making a bad mistake. Hopefully it was simply just an accident and the driver was mostly at fault. Either way, it doesn’t take away a persons dignity, and Haskins deserves that. Sober or not. May all those involved get the peace they deserve. 

11 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

How terrible I used to live in South Florida a lot of the drivers down there did not even have a license or speak English very dangerous

That's interesting.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if the above is generic file footage or proximate to the actual accident scene.

7 hours ago, Neo said:

I read it differently .   A young man, struggling in life like so many of us, was lost under unrelated tragic circumstances.  This, to me, is much more powerful and respectful than, say, “NFL QB”, or “former college star”.  Dwayne Haskins’ story is try, succeed, try, fail, try …

No debate with you.   Another perspective.

The problem with characterizing Haskins as "troubled" is because that claim is pretty arbitrary, subjective and arguably negative. Consider one could also write: "Haskins was a very accomplished young man who set both Big Ten and Ohio State records for passing yards, total offense, and touchdowns. He was named the MVP of the 2019 Rose Bowl as well as that year's Big Ten Championship game and was drafted 15th overall that year. At the time of his death Haskins was preparing to compete for the Steelers starting QB position."

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

What I don’t understand is, even if the car was broken down, why would you attempted to cross it onto oncoming traffic? Wouldn’t you want to walk to the nearest exit? Parents? Friends? I don’t understand. 

What makes you think he wasn't walking to the nearest exit?

And while you bring it up, is walking anywhere in that landscape a good idea versus waiting for LE and tow vehicles to arrive?

What did he have to gain by walking as opposed to simply waiting in as safe a place as he could find?

7 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

That's interesting.

I wonder if the above is generic file footage or proximate to the actual accident scene.

The problem with characterizing Haskins as "troubled" is because that claim is pretty arbitrary, subjective and arguably negative. Consider one could also write: "Haskins was a very accomplished young man who set both Big Ten and Ohio State records for passing yards, total offense, and touchdowns. He was named the MVP of the 2019 Rose Bowl as well as that year's Big Ten Championship game and was drafted 15th overall that year. At the time of his death Haskins was preparing to compete for the Steelers starting QB position."

What makes you think he wasn't walking to the nearest exit?

And while you bring it up, is walking anywhere in that landscape a good idea versus waiting for LE and tow vehicles to arrive?

What did he have to gain by walking as opposed to simply waiting in as safe a place as he could find?

Maybe he was walking to the nearest exit, we don’t officially know. The CNN article I linked to earlier said he was walking on the road (presumably on the shoulder) and he then attempted to cross multiple lanes of the highway. The question is why? What could be so dire that you felt like you needed to risk your own life just to get to the other side. You are right, I personally don’t think walking ANYWHERE near a highway is a good idea. I would personally pull over as far as I reasonable can off the shoulder and call for a tow, friends, or the police. Some of us are just trying to understand the thought processes that lead to this incidence. I think the only reasonable explanation would be over confidence. This is all assuming even if the CNN story is factually correct. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Had to do it twice.  I ran out of gas (broken gas gauge I found out) and I was on limited access Dulles airport access road.  I did not have a cell phone. Waited an hour even waving white flag (my shirt) and no one stopped.  Had to cross paid Dulles toll road, climb a fence and walk house to house looking for help.  Finally found someone willing to drive me to gas station and then brought me back to where I crossed fence where I then crossed pay road to airport access road.

Pre major technological advances, this would make a little more sense. But we have phones, on star, (potentially friends in the car - (Yolo)) , and other technology. I just don’t really understand it I guess. 

I wonder if the Steelers organization will do the right thing. Haskins had no guaranteed money, I wonder if they will give some of that contract money to his grieving family. If I was an NFL owner, I would do something out of a decent gesture. 

Man this is awful. Prayers for his family.

What I find pretty frustrating, to put it mildly, about the whole Gil Brandt thing and similar takes like it is that it seems to ignore at least the past year of Haskins still very young career. Yeah, he had some very obvious hiccups with Washington, but he then managed to stick in the league with Pittsburgh for over a year and was down there practicing with teammates who clearly loved him. Seemed he was on the upswing and may have at least found a place as a competent backup with upside. Way too much negative chatter out there about his very young career considering he was still an NFL quarterback that seemed to be comfortably progressing.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

3 minutes ago, Nelius said:

What I find pretty frustrating, to put it mildly, about the whole Gil Brandt thing and similar takes like it is that it seems to ignore at least the past year of Haskins still very young career. Yeah, he had some very obvious hiccups with Washington, but he then managed to stick in the league with Pittsburgh for over a year and was down there practicing with teammates who clearly loved him. Seemed he was on the upswing and may have at least found a place as a competent backup with upside. Way too much negative chatter out there about his very young career considering he was still an NFL quarterback that seemed to be comfortably progressing.

Yes, exactly. There are so many accurate ways to portray a person.

The occasion of a person's death is not the time to portray someone negatively.

I-595 west looks to be a minimum of four lanes wide. It could be much wider depending on crossing location. It’s so hard to estimate speed of traffic coming at you from a distance. So sad for all to see his promising young life cut short. 

Tragic, on all levels. Parents are not supposed to bury their children. Whenever and however that happens, it is always tragic. There is no grief like a parents grief in the death of a child--no matter what age the child is.

Prayers and peace for his family and friends.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.