Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]

FireChans

3 minutes ago, drab08 said:

The amount of speculation in this thread is truly mind boggling.  People talking themselves into some narrative they've conjured up in a definitive way.

Stepping in gum doesn't make you a gumshoe.

Thank you, the speculation here is ridiculous.  Let’s just wait for the facts.  Very sad however it happened.

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s called investigative reasoning. There is nothing wrong with trying to find out what happened. It doesn’t take away from the sadness or the person Haskins was. 

Except you have people chastising (justifiably) shefter and Brandt, yet on the same thread others coming to the conclusion he was drunk.  I mean, is it really necessary to speculate like that?  It could be any number of things that led to this tragic occurrence.  Is there some sort of prize for closest to the pin here?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly don’t care how it happened, just want to know so we can learn from it. Was it purely accidental? If so ok, let’s try and understand the thought processes, so we can try and reduce the risks so we can possibly save a life in the future. Was it alcohol, drugs, or suicide? Oh well if it was, we can still use it as a learning experience. I don’t like it when families cover up incidences, otherwise how can we try and prevent these things from happening in the future. Maybe their story will help someone. 

Even if this was a sober incident. The public can still learn from it. Was it overconfidence in ability to cross a road? Was it a stress induced misjudgment? Was it a spur of the moment thrill? We may never know, but it’s important to try and get the correct story so families and people can look at it as educational. 

let me know what your investigation into this pressing matter reveals and what you’ve learned from it. If putting everything on the table, could be aliens dropping him there too in addition to the speculation around suicide or some high stakes thrilling game of frogger. 

in the meantime, I think we are safe with a bit of Occam’s razor and common sense out of the gate while letting the facts develop. If it goes an unexpected way, we will be bound to hear about it and get all kinds of grizzly details to learn from. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, drab08 said:

Except you have people chastising (justifiably) shefter and Brandt, yet on the same thread others coming to the conclusion he was drunk.  I mean, is it really necessary to speculate like that?  It could be any number of things that led to this tragic occurrence.  Is there some sort of prize for closest to the pin here?

I obviously can’t control what people say or do here. Sadly some people will always go for the lowest hanging fruit. But even if it is unpalatable news, I think people are going to speculate either negative or positively. I simply just try and find some kind of message in a story, no matter what the story tells. I’m not going to slander Haskins either way, nobody is perfect but if it can help somebody in their life, it should be told even if people will use it for negative purposes. 

3 minutes ago, drab08 said:

A high profile person got hit by a dump truck on a busy freeway on foot.

We're supposed to not speculate? Who is making up these rules? You? I don't remember voting you into the moral police. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

let me know what your investigation into this pressing matter reveals and what you’ve learned from it. If putting everything on the table, could be aliens dropping him there too in addition to the speculation around suicide or some high stakes thrilling game of frogger. 

in the meantime, I think we are safe with a bit of Occam’s razor and common sense out of the gate while letting the facts develop. If it goes an unexpected way, we will be bound to hear about it and get all kinds of grizzly details to learn from. 

This is all fine and dandy, but mostly people aren’t trying to cross a busy interstate. There isn’t much common sense into the speculation. Distressed judgement is about the best you can hope for. 

21 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s called investigative reasoning. There is nothing wrong with trying to find out what happened. It doesn’t take away from the sadness or the person Haskins was. 

Pretty sure a more accurate term would be speculation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is all fine and dandy, but mostly people aren’t trying to cross a busy interstate. There isn’t much common sense into the speculation. Distressed judgement is about the best you can hope for. 

while you don’t see common sense in his actions, my point was you could consider applying it to your own speculation 

with just slight changes in a basic story, you probably cover about 98% of the possibilities 

did he feel unsafe on the shoulder or did he worry he’d get in trouble for some reason if he stayed (impaired, weapon or drugs around, etc…)

did he somehow mess up his crossing (trip, slip, poor timing) or did the driver have shared culpability (distracted, impaired, otherwise reckless)

No I can’t rule out that he flew to Florida to work out with teammates and surprise them by running into a highway to commit suicide, but it’s such an unlikely possibility that it’s hardly worth mentioning unless or until something even remotely opens that door.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about I'm just saying I lived in very very South Florida for a number of years and there are a lot of illegal drivers down there that's all I'm saying if you can't grasp that then tough beans.

Your comment was not relevant to the topic and your poor grammar made you look like a fool for mentioning that others didn't speak English well.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I obviously can’t control what people say or do here. Sadly some people will always go for the lowest hanging fruit. But even if it is unpalatable news, I think people are going to speculate either negative or positively. I simply just try and find some kind of message in a story, no matter what the story tells. I’m not going to slander Haskins either way, nobody is perfect but if it can help somebody in their life, it should be told even if people will use it for negative purposes. 

If that’s the goal there’s no reason to race - can base your message on whatever the story actually is. 

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

What's your point? 

Do you want a thread filled with nothing but condolences? Some of us prefer solving mysteries instead of acting smarter or wiser than others. 

A thread with condolences would be nice, not sure why you think there is a mystery crying out for message board posters to solve.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If that’s the goal there’s no reason to race - can base your message on whatever the story actually is. 

People get a thrill of the chase. It’s why we discuss drafts, weather forecasts, stock forecasts. There is no harm in it. It’s investigating, using facts to try and tie a story. Ultimately yes, the real story is what matters, but all of us are just positing possibilities. 

2 minutes ago, MRW said:

A thread with condolences would be nice, not sure why you think there is a mystery crying out for message board posters to solve.

Condolences have been said, and it’s a sad story, but there is no harm in trying to figure out how or why the story transpired. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

People get a thrill of the chase. It’s why we discuss drafts, weather forecasts, stock forecasts. There is no harm in it. It’s investigating, using facts to try and tie a story. Ultimately yes, the real story is what matters, but all of us are just positing possibilities. 

Condolences have been said, and it’s a sad story, but there is no harm in trying to figure out how or why the story transpired. 

Also no harm in just leaving it at condolences. Really not seeing what we get out of people's fact-free speculation.

And I'm also playing my part in hijacking the thread, so I'm going to bow out.

Edited by MRW
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.