Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]

FireChans

3 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Maybe. And and it's actually 2 express lanes in the middle. So 2 express lanes, maybe 5-6 highway lanes on each side at points, plus 2-3 lanes on each side for 84. Madness. Maybe broke down on the highway and couldn't get to the side. I can't imagine

The article made it sound like it was random walking on the highway. I didn’t see reports of a distressed vehicle stalled on the highway. I’m sure that would be a big piece of the story. I’m sure it possible it broke down a few feet back and he walked a ways, but why cross a major highway? To me that is the biggest question. I’m not sure how that makes sense. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

2 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Maybe. And and it's actually 2 express lanes in the middle. So 2 express lanes, maybe 5-6 highway lanes on each side at points, plus 2-3 lanes on each side for 84. Madness. Maybe broke down on the highway and couldn't get to the side. I can't imagine

yea, I was picturing some highway stretches I’ve been on with terrible shoulders and walled off stretches where I can’t say staying put is safe… but can’t imagine crossing that either, hearing your description. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, I think you can create some sort of simple narrative where sitting on the shoulder is also very unsafe, but you might not have a way to get off the shoulder nearby on your side so a guy might roll the dice to cross.

It’s not so incredibly unbelievable someone might do the math that way (not that we know that’s what happened) 

I mean I suppose. It’s conceivably possible. Just seems strange. Being an ultra competitive athlete, maybe he thought his athletic abilities could make it to the other side faster for help. Who honestly knows. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The article made it sound like it was random walking on the highway. I didn’t see reports of a distressed vehicle stalled on the highway. I’m sure that would be a big piece of the story. I’m sure it possible it broke down a few feet back and he walked a ways, but why cross a major highway? To me that is the biggest question. I’m not sure how that makes sense. 

I think the articles are just parroting the verbiage of the initial police reports as there isn’t much color context in the official statements from the local PD that they are working off. 

• Like (+1) 1

I do know some people live for the thrill, even if “normal” people see it as foolish. I knew a person like that. Would walk on train tracks and roads just to live in the moment, full knowing it was dangerous. Maybe Haskins just thought he could make it, because why not? He’s made it to where he was on elite talent, why wouldn’t you believe in yourself. This story is honestly really interesting. Just trying to understand it all. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I do know some people live for the thrill, even if “normal” people see it as foolish. I knew a person like that. Would walk on train tracks and roads just to live in the moment, full knowing it was dangerous. Maybe Haskins just thought he could make it, because why not? He’s made it to where he was on elite talent, why wouldn’t you believe in yourself. This story is honestly really interesting. Just trying to understand it all. 

Umm… 

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, I think you can create some sort of simple narrative where sitting on the shoulder is also very unsafe, but you might not have a way to get off the shoulder nearby on your side so a guy might roll the dice to cross.

It’s not so incredibly unbelievable someone might do the math that way (not that we know that’s what happened) 

What time of morning was it? Day time? Night time? 

Early morning he could still be drunk or hungover and make that kind of nonsensical decision. 

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think the articles are just parroting the verbiage of the initial police reports as there isn’t much color context in the official statements from the local PD that they are working off. 

Yea we only have a few of the details.  There shouldn't be any details in the initial statement from LE.  If an investigation is needed they can do the best job by releasing no information until it is required in the process.  The most important fact is a young man lost his life in a tragic accident.  No blame or other speculation should be presented on so little information.  And the family should be allowed some say on what is released to the public if its not part of any investigation.  

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

How else could you rationalize crossing an interstate by foot? 
Either it was overconfidence, for the thrill, or just distressed misjudgment. I’m just trying different angles here to try and make it make sense. 

6:30am in Fort Lauderdale. I'm starting to think alcohol was involved. 

Drunk driving? Car breaks down? Get out of there before the cops come. 

Anyone who has driven on the 95 knows how many abondoned cars there are on the road. 

Toxicology will tell the story but that makes the most sense to me. 

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Lamar calling out Schefter. I know what he's saying but damn dude , use some proper grammar and punctuation

I actually don’t know what he’s trying to say. 🤨 But on topic … RIP Dwayne Haskins. Far too young. 😢

4 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Anyone who has driven on the 95 knows how many abondoned cars there are on the road. 

To add to this, with his track record, a DUI would've been a career ender. 

6 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea we only have a few of the details.  There shouldn't be any details in the initial statement from LE.  If an investigation is needed they can do the best job by releasing no information until it is required in the process.  The most important fact is a young man lost his life in a tragic accident.  No blame or other speculation should be presented on so little information.  And the family should be allowed some say on what is released to the public if its not part of any investigation.  

yup- surely there’s some investigation going on and the police and news agencies are going to be a bit conservative on what they release until things are firmed up.

I’d venture within a couple days we will get most of the meaningful info and based on lack of sensational leaks coming out it’ll probably be a sad, but unspectacular, story of every day life sometimes going terribly awry.

13 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

I honestly don’t care how it happened, just want to know so we can learn from it. Was it purely accidental? If so ok, let’s try and understand the thought processes, so we can try and reduce the risks so we can possibly save a life in the future. Was it alcohol, drugs, or suicide? Oh well if it was, we can still use it as a learning experience. I don’t like it when families cover up incidences, otherwise how can we try and prevent these things from happening in the future. Maybe their story will help someone. 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yup- surely there’s some investigation going on and the police and news agencies are going to be a bit conservative on what they release until things are firmed up.

I’d venture within a couple days we will get most of the meaningful info and based on lack of sensational leaks coming out it’ll probably be a sad, but unspectacular, story of every day life sometimes going terribly awry.

Even if this was a sober incident. The public can still learn from it. Was it overconfidence in ability to cross a road? Was it a stress induced misjudgment? Was it a spur of the moment thrill? We may never know, but it’s important to try and get the correct story so families and people can look at it as educational. 

• Vomit 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Schefter stays posting some incredibly bizarre stuff lately.   “Struggling to catch on..”…. Oh, ok, thanks for reminding us how he wasn’t doing so well in the NFL before tragically dying today.   Vital information, Adam. 

Schefter has spent so long being a mouthpiece for agents he forgot how to report the news.

2 minutes ago, drab08 said:

The amount of speculation in this thread is truly mind boggling.  People talking themselves into some narrative they've conjured up in a definitive way.

Stepping in gum doesn't make you a gumshoe.

It’s called investigative reasoning. There is nothing wrong with trying to find out what happened. It doesn’t take away from the sadness or the person Haskins was. 

2 minutes ago, drab08 said:

The amount of speculation in this thread is truly mind boggling.  People talking themselves into some narrative they've conjured up in a definitive way.

Stepping in gum doesn't make you a gumshoe.

What's your point? 

Do you want a thread filled with nothing but condolences? Some of us prefer solving mysteries instead of acting smarter or wiser than others. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.