“The Greatest Game Ever Played”

Chandler#81

I have Game Pass and could have rewatched the game at any time. Finally was able to get up the stomach to watch it this morning. I had forgotten how many missed opportunities there were earlier in the game to build a lead against the Chiefs. I know it's a cliche that one play or one series of plays doesn't lose the game and of all games to apply that to this seemed like the one, but in hind sight, this game was really not that different. It didn't have to end in a shootout.  Dane Jackson wasted holding call on 3rd and goal from the 12.  Three drives ending in lame ass run plays on third and short that resulted in punts. Could have been the same on the first drive of the game, except they were at midfield and went for and converted on 4th down. The 55 yard punt to Tyreek Hill that was well covered and included a penalty by the Chiefs to back them up to their own 15 EXCEPT a Bills player was also flagged (for running out of bounds on purpose!) RESULT re-kick and Hill return to the Bills 15

Edited by wakingfane

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I remember thoroughly enjoying the Dolphins vs Chargers game years ago. Kellen Winslow was a folk hero after that game. I’d put that one up there as one of the best. 

That was an amazing game.  I remember watching that as a teenager at my grandpa's apartment in Detroit.  We had to push back going to dinner because that game went on and on.  But we were glued.  I believe Dick Enberg and Bob Trumpy were the commentators.  Although I could be wrong.  (It has been a very long time)  Weren't the Dolphins up big early and scored on a hook and lateral late in the first half?  But Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow were absolutely phenominal in the second half and OT. That is a game that the younger members on here need to try and watch.  I get chills thinking about that game still. 

As for Bills games.  The comeback against the Oilers in Jan 93.  It doesn't get any better.   

• Like (+1) 3

I don't care about national exposure...........but if this game had taken place between the Giants and the Cowboys............NFL Network would have it playing on loop from 10pm-8am every day.

Such a great, great game.

I think it will get more recognition as the best game ever as time passes.

Doesn't matter that neither team won the SB..............a lot of the greatest NFL playoff games......Immaculate Reception or Kellen Winslow games for example....... didn't yield a title winner.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wakingfane said:

I have Game Pass and could have rewatched the game at any time. Finally was able to get up the stomach to watch it this morning. I had forgotten how many missed opportunities there were earlier in the game to build a lead against the Chiefs. I know it's a cliche that one play or one series of plays doesn't lose the game and of all games to apply that to this seemed like the one, but in hind sight, this game was really not that different. It didn't have to end in a shootout.  Dane Jackson wasted holding call on 3rd and goal from the 12.  Three drives ending in lame ass run plays on third and short that resulted in punts. Could have been the same on the first drive of the game, except they were at midfield and went for and converted on 4th down. The 55 yard punt to Tyreek Hill that was well covered and included a penalty by the Chiefs to back them up to their own 15 EXCEPT a Bills player was also flagged (for running out of bounds on purpose!) RESULT re-kick and Hill return to the Bills 15

About a month ago I finally decided I was able to watch the end of regulation again. My daughter happened to wake up and come downstairs as I cued it up.  She looks at the screen, sees what I’m watching and gave me a “WTF is wrong with you!?” look.  I still have not watched it. 

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly didn’t think it was an unfair ending.

Neither did I, but I have no problem with the OT rule change 

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That was an amazing game.  I remember watching that as a teenager at my grandpa's apartment in Detroit.  We had to push back going to dinner because that game went on and on.  But we were glued.  I believe Dick Enberg and Bob Trumpy were the commentators.  Although I could be wrong.  (It has been a very long time)  Weren't the Dolphins up big early and scored on a hook and lateral late in the first half?  But Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow were absolutely phenominal in the second half and OT. That is a game that the younger members on here need to try and watch.  I get chills thinking about that game still. 

As for Bills games.  The comeback against the Oilers in Jan 93.  It doesn't get any better.   

I’m fairly certain the Chargers were up big early and the Dolphins pulled the Hook & Ladder TD just before half to bring them back in the game. It was one of the greatest games, that’s for sure!

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

I liked the perfect game against the Pats in the playoffs. Josh still has many more great memories left to give us.

To Bills fans it was a fantastic game! The rest of the football viewing world, not so much, no.

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yes!

But will be topped again when we win it all this year!

Lord, I hope not. My heart couldn't take it. I hope when we win it all this year we're up early and cruise to a 50 point victory. I hope the rest of the country is completely bored by how dominant the Bills are. That Chiefs game almost killed me. I want more playoff wins like the *Pats game. Now that was relaxing.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Yes. Hook and lateral by Dolphins. I remember Kellen Winslow coming off the field and he was exhausted/covered in dirt, etc. You’re right. Younger generation should watch it. 👍

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Agree Bills vs Oilers playoff game.  Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, they come out and throw a pick six, what a comeback!!!

53 minutes ago, TAinLA said:

Agree Bills vs Oilers playoff game.  Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, they come out and throw a pick six, what a comeback!!!

Terrible game to Oilers fans.

Thinking that is a "greatest game ever" type is like calling the Music City Miracle a "greatest game ever".

The Bills/Chiefs game was a real back and forth battle.........not a tale of two halves like the comeback game or a weird game of futility with one big play at the end like that MCM game(Bills held Steve McNair to like 60 yards passing.......Bills offense and special teams were bad all day).

6 hours ago, wakingfane said:

Have GP also.  Re-watched every Bills game at least once this past season during the week after, especially home games - miss a lot when attending.  Not this one.

Finally watched last Sunday morning.  Watched until the last Bills score and that was it.  Couldn’t stomach to watch the last 13 or OT.

Yep, had a few drives we could have added to our score and didn’t.  Disappointing.

As far as best game ever played, Bills v. Chiefs is up there.  Dolphins v. Chargers was an amazing game also.  The Comeback is a great game, but has lost its luster after watching it so many times. An amazing feat for sure.  Bills v. Patriots playoff is my personal favorite, but wouldn’t score that way on a national level.

13 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I liked the “no punt” game versus the 49ers

Particularly for a non-playoff game, this was a great game indeed. Also the NFL's Greatest Comeback (Houston-Bills) also has to be on the short list of greatest games. If you add Allen vs Mahomes, the Bills were involved in 3 of the greatest games of all time.

13 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I remember thoroughly enjoying the Dolphins vs Chargers game years ago. Kellen Winslow was a folk hero after that game. I’d put that one up there as one of the best. 

Besides the 1958 NFL Championship Game (Colts-Giants) the 1982 Divisional Round game (Chargers-Dolphins) is most often mentioned as a candidate for greatest game ever. In fact it's known as "The Epic in Miami."

"Winslow caught a playoff record 13 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown, while also blocking a field goal with seconds remaining to send the game to overtime in one of the greatest single player efforts in NFL history. Winslow's yardage total stood as the playoff record for tight ends for 30 years until Vernon Davis's 180 yards in 2012. What made Winslow's performance all the more memorable was that fact during the game he was treated for a pinched nerve in his shoulder, dehydration, severe cramps, and received three stitches in his lower lip. After the game, a picture of Winslow being helped off the field by his teammates became an enduring image in NFL lore."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Watching Edmunds just stare at the RB take a pass in the flat and run 30 yards for the TD is disgraceful...dude just does not have the “fire” to be a leader on this team...

Watching Milano get Mossed by Kelce to lose the game was worse. Just frickin amazing how you can bring crap like that up on a thread about something totally different. 

24 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Watching Milano get Mossed by Kelce to lose the game was worse. Just frickin amazing how you can bring crap like that up on a thread about something totally different. 

Unfortunately, while watching the video, that play just really stood out to me...Milano may have gotten beat by Kelce, but at least he tried- everyone’s gonna get beat from time to time...But Edmunds was front and center, on a play that he just, flat out, gave up on, and stopped pursuing the ball carrier...that’s something I will never approve of in a professional athlete...he does not have the “fire” in his belly imo...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.