Bills were not on O.J. Howard's free-agent radar until something changed

HOUSE

3 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

He was a 1st round TE coming out of college. This could very well be an underrated signing. And if he clicks with Josh, he won't want to leave next year. There is plenty to be optimistic about with the moves Beane has made in the off season. This is one of them. Now I wonder what Beane's thoughts are on Poyer.

He had decent numbers his first 3 seasons.  Then Brady and Gronk arrived.  If he can provide close to what he did those first 3 years, it will be a good signing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He had decent numbers his first 3 seasons.  Then Brady and Gronk arrived.  If he can provide close to what he did those first 3 years, it will be a good signing.

It's a bit surprising he was having trouble finding a suitor in free agency. I think he could end up being better in this offense than those 3yrs.

6 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

It's a bit surprising he was having trouble finding a suitor in free agency. I think he could end up being better in this offense than those 3yrs.

He might have still be recovering from his torn achilles in October of 2020 and that scared teams off.  It's amazing how that was once a career-ender for players, but not anymore.

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

He was a 1st round TE coming out of college. This could very well be an underrated signing. And if he clicks with Josh, he won't want to leave next year. There is plenty to be optimistic about with the moves Beane has made in the off season. This is one of them. Now I wonder what Beane's thoughts are on Poyer.

I think Buffalo very much wanted to run 2 TE sets last year but didn't have the horses. I like the signing. Gives the offense more versatility.

Tommy Doyle was effective as a TE! :)

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I interpreted that differently.  My thoughts were initially he was looking at teams that needed a starting TE.  He knew Buffalo seemed to be happy with Knox, so no real interest.  Once he figured out he wasn't either getting interest or a contract at a level for a starting TE, he decided to look at teams where he may not be the starter, but a good passing offense,  Add in Buffalo did not a 2nd TE and he was able to get a one year prove it type contract, made it a potential good fit.

I can see that, valid view point, 

I would add that with his injury circumstance, and not getting #1 TE snaps, it seems a bit of a reach for him to expect a #1 TE contract  from a team, but that’s just me I guess, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

No where did it imply he did not know Josh Allen played for Buffalo Bills.

“As the process went on, a lot of teams I wanted to go to weren’t really working out in my favor, then my agent was like, ‘Hey, Buffalo, look at this, they’re interested, let’s look at it on paper.'” Howard said. “When I knew what was on the roster and [Bills QB] Josh Allen at the helm, it was a no brainer.”

Upon reflecting on the 2021 season, Howard also recalled how he felt when his team faced the Bills. He was injured, but remembered thinking how relentless Allen played against Tampa Bay.

“I looked over at one of our guys and was like, ‘This dude is tough,'” Howard said. “That game right there showed me this team has toughness and grit.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

My take it was just a poorly written article and it's not clearly documenting how this signing began.  Did it start with a enquiry on what terms OJ was looking for by the Bills FO?  Was it a decision by his agent to shop OJ on a prove it deal for a year to upgrade demand for his talents?  

It's highly unlikely any NFL player doesn't know which star players are on which NFL teams.  I'd imagine most of the NFL players watch all the playoffs as football fans if only highlights of games they have less interest in.  Many have former teammates from college they follow or players they watch.   

Any NFL player who doesn't know Josh Allen QB plays in Buffalo should be in a permanent concussion protocol because they have some serious memory issues.

The only exceptions would be possibly any new participants in the gateway program that C.Wade and Obada were in.  And even then likely they are NFL fans as well that they know star players and Josh Allen is definitely one of the Top Dogs now.  

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He might not have known though.

Fans assume that all players at least follow the league somewhat.......that's not always true.

I found it funny that Von Miller has talked on camera so much about the mutual admiration between he and Bruce Smith and thinking that he was going to be drafted by the Bills..........but seemed honestly surprised when recently told that the early 90's Bills lost 4 straight SB's. :lol:

This is a just job for many of these guys.

It's a hobby to us.........its work to them.......and some don't care one bit about what happens in the league when they are not at work.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

My take it was just a poorly written article and it's not clearly documenting how this signing began.  Did it start with a enquiry on what terms OJ was looking for by the Bills FO?  Was it a decision by his agent to shop OJ on a prove it deal for a year to upgrade demand for his talents?  

It's highly unlikely any NFL player doesn't know which star players are on which NFL teams.  I'd imagine most of the NFL players watch all the playoffs as football fans if only highlights of games they have less interest in.  Many have former teammates from college they follow or players they watch.   

Any NFL player who doesn't know Josh Allen QB plays in Buffalo should be in a permanent concussion protocol because they have some serious memory issues.

The only exceptions would be possibly any new participants in the gateway program that C.Wade and Obada were in.  And even then likely they are NFL fans as well that they know star players and Josh Allen is definitely one of the Top Dogs now.  

I'd think he gave his agent a list of warm weather teams he wants to play for and when none bit for what they thought he was worth, his agent pitched Buffalo to him, so he took a closer look at the roster, knew Josh Allen is a beast, and saw the facilities and then pulled the trigger on buffalo.

Edited by What a Tuel

6 hours ago, Doc said:

The Bills, I believe, are still thinking of Dawson Knox as their #1 tight end.  If it plays out that way in the season, Howard may not have huge numbers even if he is effective when he has the opportunity.  I'm OK with that.  Whoever gets the production is not a concern.  Having two good tight ends gives the Bills some offensive flexibility.  That makes the offenses more dangerous and harder to stop.  It also means they've got quality depth in case of injury.  That's always good to have in a long season.

21 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I'd think he gave his agent a list of warm weather teams he wants to play for and when none bit for what they thought he was worth, his agent pitched Buffalo to him, so he took a closer look at the roster, knew Josh Allen is a beast, and saw the facilities and then pulled the trigger on buffalo.

Still not a clarification of how the deal got started.  He only got the info on the training facilities after there were negotiations going on.  OJ didn't just ask about the training facilities the Bills have out of the blue.   It's also not like at this time OJ is as interesting a 'why did you sign with Buffalo?' like it is with the Von Miller.  

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He might not have known though.

Fans assume that all players at least follow the league somewhat.......that's not always true.

I found it funny that Von Miller has talked on camera so much about the mutual admiration between he and Bruce Smith and thinking that he was going to be drafted by the Bills..........but seemed honestly surprised when recently told that the early 90's Bills lost 4 straight SB's. :lol:

This is a just job for many of these guys.

It's a hobby to us.........its work to them.......and some don't care one bit about what happens in the league when they are not at work.

If he didn't know Josh was on the Bills, considering his former team played the Bills this past season...

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he didn't know Josh was on the Bills, considering his former team played the Bills this past season...

.......then what?

If it's just a job to you...........and you are resting on the sideline when the opposing offense is on the field........and you don't have to watch tape or gameplan against those players.........it isn't a given that you are going to know or care to know who those opposing players are.

Some people can't grasp that not all players are fans............some of them even hate their job...........just like a lot of clock punching fans who spend their work day secretly logged on to TSW do. ;)

Edited by BADOLBILZ

14 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I interpreted that differently.  My thoughts were initially he was looking at teams that needed a starting TE.  He knew Buffalo seemed to be happy with Knox, so no real interest.  Once he figured out he wasn't either getting interest or a contract at a level for a starting TE, he decided to look at teams where he may not be the starter, but a good passing offense,  Add in Buffalo did not a 2nd TE and he was able to get a one year prove it type contract, made it a potential good fit.

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That’s kinda the way I saw it he wanted to go places where he could be the number 1.  When no one offered he started to look around the league at teams where he could get a bunch of catches and kinda prove himself for a run at free agency next year and he picked Buffalo.    

It does make it sound like he had no idea  Buffalo existed but that’s more he not being the most articulate guy on the planet. 

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I can see that, valid view point, 

I would add that with his injury circumstance, and not getting #1 TE snaps, it seems a bit of a reach for him to expect a #1 TE contract  from a team, but that’s just me I guess, 

I agree that if Howard had a "I want to be a starter mentality" at the beginning of free agency it shows a stunning lack of awareness of his own market value.

Then again if he didn't know Josh played on the Bills this would make more sense.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Why don't people know what the word "and" means? 

9 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Then again if he didn't know Josh played on the Bills this would make more sense.

Bills fans, tell us you didn't read the whole article without telling us. 

23 hours ago, Rockinon said:

He was a 1st round TE coming out of college. This could very well be an underrated signing. And if he clicks with Josh

Remember when Josh Allen as a rookie made Robert foster look like a pro bowler? 

Josh makes everyone better. Rodgers, Brady and Mahomes do it too. It’s such an elite trait

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.