Bills were not on O.J. Howard's free-agent radar until something changed

HOUSE

image.png.dbf70519f122121777507193da0edd92.png

“As the process went on, a lot of teams I wanted to go to weren’t really working out in my favor, then my agent was like, ‘Hey, Buffalo, look at this, they’re interested, let’s look at it on paper.'” Howard said. “When I knew what was on the roster and [Bills QB] Josh Allen at the helm, it was a no brainer.”

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/08/buffalo-bills-oj-howard-radar-brandon-beane/

• Like (+1) 5

Thanks House for sharing.  I think you know I live in Tampa, and his injuries pushed him down the depth chart, but he’s solid.  

We are going to be able to do a lot

more 12 personnel this year if Dorsey calls it up.  He alone makes us more dynamic as we can run three wide with Diggs, Davis, and McKenzie, but can also run 12 with Dawson and Howard.  One of the more under the radar signings this off season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

I remember hearing the interview he gave after he signed, he said he wanted to check out the facilities and training area. Saw some pictures and then Beane sent him a more detailed video of everything. Said that was impressive they did that and loved everything they had. Glad he is here!

• Like (+1) 1

I really hope that players around the league are not as oblivious about the Bills as this article makes Howard look, it almost appears to be mostly a fabricated bit of “new enlightenment”by the writer, anyway, happy that we signed him, it will make the offense more dynamic, and obviously that’s a good thing,  

I’m starting to think Dorsey is going to be noticeably different than Dabol as a play caller, especially as the season progresses.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

24 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I really hope that players around the league are not as oblivious about the Bills as this article makes Howard look, it almost appears to be mostly a fabricated bit of “new enlightenment”by the writer, anyway, happy that we signed him, it will make the offense more dynamic, and obviously that’s a good thing,  

I’m starting to think Dorsey is going to be noticeably different than Dabol as a play caller, especially as the season progresses.

Go Bills!!!

Exactly. That was a terrible article.  Someone is looking for attention and needs to get a check, so they come up with this muck.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, he didn't know Josh was on this team and that we were pretty good until a bunch of teams didn't really work out for him?

I like the guy, but this is athlete-speak.

Thank You Thurman, I thought I was the only one annoyed by those statements.

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Exactly. That was a terrible article.  Someone is looking for attention and needs to get a check, so they come up with this muck.

Thank you, I agree 100%, wish I never saw it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

I interpreted that differently.  My thoughts were initially he was looking at teams that needed a starting TE.  He knew Buffalo seemed to be happy with Knox, so no real interest.  Once he figured out he wasn't either getting interest or a contract at a level for a starting TE, he decided to look at teams where he may not be the starter, but a good passing offense,  Add in Buffalo did not a 2nd TE and he was able to get a one year prove it type contract, made it a potential good fit.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5

19 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I interpreted that differently.  My thoughts were initially he was looking at teams that needed a starting TE.  He knew Buffalo seemed to be happy with Knox, so no real interest.  Once he figured out he wasn't either getting interest or a contract at a level for a starting TE, he decided to look at teams where he may not be the starter, but a good passing offense,  Add in Buffalo did not a 2nd TE and he was able to get a one year prove it type contract, made it a potential good fit.

That’s kinda the way I saw it he wanted to go places where he could be the number 1.  When no one offered he started to look around the league at teams where he could get a bunch of catches and kinda prove himself for a run at free agency next year and he picked Buffalo.    

It does make it sound like he had no idea  Buffalo existed but that’s more he not being the most articulate guy on the planet. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Thank you, I agree 100%, wish I never saw it.

Well *****, thanks for sharing it and making the rest of us look at it too!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

"Buffalo is a city? Get out of here" OJ said. "A Buffalo is an animal.". Surely this was some sort of joke.

After a few hours on youtube with his agents, OJ learned that not only did people live in a place called "Buffalo" but, unbelievably, they also had an NFL team there. A good one too! OJ was convinced. "I'll go to this animal city and catch touchdowns. Where's my pen? Do they pay in US dollars?"

I like this guy

• Haha (+1) 2

He was a 1st round TE coming out of college. This could very well be an underrated signing. And if he clicks with Josh, he won't want to leave next year. There is plenty to be optimistic about with the moves Beane has made in the off season. This is one of them. Now I wonder what Beane's thoughts are on Poyer.

I think Buffalo very much wanted to run 2 TE sets last year but didn't have the horses. I like the signing. Gives the offense more versatility.

Edited by Rockinon
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.