2023 Extension? (Poyer/Edmunds/Knox/Oliver)

elijah

Who gets extended past their current contract?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets extended past their current contract?

• Jordan Poyer
    • Tremaine Edmunds
    • Dawson Knox
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin Singletary

On 8/3/2022 at 9:07 PM, ganesh said:

What about Edmunds ? 

I think Edmunds  and KNox get their extensions done this year.   Oliver will have to wait next year.  His 2023-24 season will be his FIFTH season and will play under the option. 

Next year, I see players such as Morse,  Hyde etc retiring or get cut.  Their cap numbers are very large. (And so will Poyer).

I think it's too late for Edmunds.  He'll have to deal with making only $12M plus for this season and then rake in a huge contract with another team next March.  Some team will clearly outbid the Bills.  

I think re-signing Knox is a stronger likelihood.  I think he'll give the Bills a discount like Milano did.  

I believe the Bills biggest priority though is to extend Oliver next offseason.  If Davis has a strong season, he'll be priority number two. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, hemma said:

If you are including Oliver (under contract next year), then probably should toss Davis into the mix.

If he has a big year, might push him over Knox.

The difference between the two is that while both will technically "have a year left" Ed's year is the 5th year option which is projected to be about $10.7m. Gabe's year is year 4 of a 4th round rookie contract at $1.1m a year. The reason that makes Ed's a higher priority is because there is scope to lower his hit in 2023. I'm not saying that if Gabe has a big year the Bills wouldn't be open to an extension for him after this season, I'm sure they would at the right price, but a Gabe extension probably adds money to the 2023 cap... whereas an extension for Ed likely saves cap space. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.