2023 Extension? (Poyer/Edmunds/Knox/Oliver)

elijah

Who gets extended past their current contract?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets extended past their current contract?

• Jordan Poyer
    • Tremaine Edmunds
    • Dawson Knox
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin Singletary

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac has the Bills over next year's cap by $12M with them already adding $10M to this year's cap.

Cap is probably going up more than that but by how much Beane and the other GMs know better than us.

Bills won't be carrying over anything significant into 2023 from this year.

Even though they show 55 players (59 but 4 are voids) next year a whole bunch of those guys won't be on the team by cutdown and Beane

will have to restructure some contracts just to get the other depth players signed or replaced from this year's players.

Ed Oliver is already on his 5th year option, so it won't get done until next season (probably in the summer).

Knox is the first to get the decision after the season is up.  I think he signs a fairly decent contract for both sides.

Poyer is going to want longer terms and more money than Beane can afford, I think he walks in FA.

Singletary will be testing the market and probably get what he wants and moves on.  Then again, if he doesn't get the money he may stay.

It's hard to estimate the RB UFA market.

I truly have no idea what will happen with Edmunds.  They would want to keep him, but I think he is the guy that will depend on where the cap is going.

What about Edmunds ? 

I think Edmunds  and KNox get their extensions done this year.   Oliver will have to wait next year.  His 2023-24 season will be his FIFTH season and will play under the option. 

Next year, I see players such as Morse,  Hyde etc retiring or get cut.  Their cap numbers are very large. (And so will Poyer).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, strive_for_five_guy said:

Do you think they use the franchise tag on any of these guys?

I agree with @ColoradoBills that Knox will end up signing a deal that is friendly to both sides (a la Milano). However, if there is anyone who we might use the Tag on, I believe that would be Knox.

The Tag number on a TE is just under $11M. Which is effectively the same as a 5th year option would cost on a 1st round pick. No brainer to use there if we need to kick the can another year.

All the other guys play too expensive a position to Tag.

38 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

How LB Tremaine Edmunds could return to form in 2022 - Getzenberg, PFF; bounce-back candidates for each team (ESPN+) ➡ http://espn.com/app

What is a “return to form” for Edmunds? The only year he’s been a playmaker in this defense was his rookie year. I thought so much more of him as a player at the time, I’m actually surprised he hasn’t become more of a difference maker in the years since. Now he’s being categorized here as a “space eater” and “it’s too difficult for him to make big plays because he has too many responsibilities.” Oh and “he’s only twenty something, he’s still so young.” At some point the excuses have to stop. He needs to become a disruptor to justify making anything more than what Milano earns.

0:13 second mark, chasing down Jamison Crowder, weak tackle attempt leads to shoulder injury.

Jogging after Tyreek Hill in the AFCCG, misses the tackle.

14:52 Edmunds has Fournette dead to rights in the hole on 3rd and 1 in OT, but slinks off of him and allows the first down.

Edmunds has a full head of steam on a blitz attempt and gets absolutely stoned by the RB.

02:45 Edmunds has Kelce in coverage and bites hard to the inside, despite help from teammate Taron Johnson. Kelce scores a TD.

Just some of the mind-numbingly frustrating plays I’ve seen over the years.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:39 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Yes, he eats up space in the Bills heavily dependent “coverage defense.”  I just don’t see the Bills front office letting him go.  On the other hand, it is very telling that they have not already extended him. Based on the latter I could be very wrong.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This season hasn't started but I do have a gut feeling that Edmunds last year is this year.

I think McDermott would like to keep him but Oliver and Knox come first.  I think Bernard is Edmunds replacement.

Yep.

I think the Bills want to keep him, but at the right price. I'm sure Beane has made an offer of some sort, likely right around Edmunds' current 5th year option number of $12M/season. And I would also assume Edmunds and his agent think (know) they could get way more on the open market.

And that position prompted the drafting of Bernard, just in case.

Bills aren't going to be able to keep all these guys I dont think. IMO I dont think the Bills will do better at TE than Knox so he is probably a must sign.  Oliver is starting to come on pretty big so they will probably want to sign him too.  That leaves Poyer and Edmunds.  Can they sign even 3 of these guys with the cap space they have?  I honestly dont really care much about Edmunds at this point.  Unless it changes this season, I think he lacks instincts to play the position.  Poyer I would miss.

24 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So what exactly does he thinks he's worth??

I would guess somewhere around $15-20M/year

Fred Warner who was a 3rd round pick in Edmunds class just signed a 5/$95M deal

Shaq Leonard is 5/$98M

Edited by DrDawkinstein

I’m not here to crap on Edmunds just to crap on him but I think I saw Spector disengage from blockers more in that one game than Edmunds all year. If a lineman gets his hands on him during a play he is erased. I expect that from CB’s and some safeties, it just can’t be the case for a Mike.

This is an interesting thread.

To really understand it, we first need to value NFL by position.

this is my opinion, no facts involved.

NFL values:

QB>DE=LT>CB>WR>DT>TE=S=LB>IOL=RB.

Bills are bit unique.  Based on their QB (Allen) and preferred defensive style, heres how I think player rank.

QB>WR>DE>LT>CB>DT>S>TE=LB>IOL>RB

Based on this positional value, we'd say Oliver> Poyer>Knox = Edmunds > Singeltary.

Give Edmunds and Knox bonus points for being young, and subtract points for Poyer for being (relativley) old.

Oliver > Knox= Edmunds > Poyer >Singeltary

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The better Oliver is, the less likely he’s extended.  We will have to Settle for a lesser penetrating 3T

I see what you did there. But if Ed O balls out like Aaron Donald lite, then you absolutely have to find a way to extend him. Those sort of interior disrupters are hard to find and Ed isn’t a fat slob that would be content to eat his way through his lucrative contract ala Haynesworth/Dareus.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The better Oliver is, the less likely he’s extended.  We will have to Settle for a lesser penetrating 3T

You pay a young, disruptive force on the DL, even if it’s from the DT position. 

Oliver is the only guy I’m at 99.9% sure the Bills re-sign if he plays like we think he will. 

Positions teams shouldn’t even think twice on paying.. QB, OL, WR and Pass Rushers. 

If that means letting Poyer and Edmunds both walk, so be it. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You pay a young, disruptive force on the DL, even if it’s from the DT position. 

Oliver is the only guy I’m at 99.9% sure the Bills re-sign if he plays like we think he will. 

Positions teams shouldn’t even think twice on paying.. QB, OL, WR and Pass Rushers. 

If that means letting Poyer and Edmunds both walk, so be it. 

If IF he turns into a true disruptive force, I’m with you.  If he remains the same with just flashes of brilliance, That’s the type you get in trouble signing to big contracts.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.